Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The next four games may determine Zorn's fate.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-30-2009, 05:56 AM   #1
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

The next four games may determine Zorn's fate.

This is it. Trial by fire. After the next four games, I think Dan Snyder may decide whether or not to continue with Jim Zorn as HC of the Redskins.

At the start of the season, I started a thread where I stated my belief that the Redskins needed to start 4-2 to make the playoffs. That's because the early part of their schedule is as soft as the remainder of their schedule is hard. I still believe that.

Nevertheless, at that time, it never crossed my mind that Zorn might not make it past the Redskins' bye week as HC. Now I think that is a very real possibility.

At this point, it seems to me that its not just a matter of how many games out of the next four Zorn wins that may determine his fate but also which of those games he wins, the manner in which they are won, and the reaction of the fan base to those games.

Zorn might survive a 3-4 record at the break depending on how that record is achieved but I don't like his chances of surviving a 2-5 record.

One big problem Zorn has is that three of the next four games are at home. Yes, that's a problem. First of all, the Redskins don't seem to play any better at home than they do away, so being at home probably won't help them. Nevertheless, they'll be expected to perform well and win at home. Secondly, if the Redskins lose at home, or even play poorly and still win at home, they'll no doubt be showered with boos by the fans. The booing must be getting embarrassing for Dan Snyder and the rest of the organization and it might prompt DS to make a change.

Let me give you an example of what I mean when I say that which of the next four games Zorn wins could make a big difference in determining his fate. Let's assume that the Redskins lose at home to TB and lose at Carolina but then beat KC and Philly back-to-back at home. In that case, there would be a couple of terrible weeks to suffer through but, after that, if Zorn makes some changes and the Skins win the next two at home against KC and Philly, he might just survive.

On the other hand, even if Zorn beats TB and Carolina in the next two weeks, if he loses back-to back home games to KC and Philly, then it will appear that things have regressed and he could be gone at the break.

Right now, I think that Jim Zorn's career is in critical condition. It's touch and go and very complicated, but we'll probably be able to make a prognosis for his career at the Redskins' bye week. I hope he pulls through.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #2
#56fanatic
The Starter

Re: The next four games may determine Zorn's fate.

His career was in trouble the minute Shanahan, Holmgren, and Chucky became available. I am not sure what will keep his job short of a NFC championship or super bowl appearance. It stinks to say that, and honestly I dont know how to feel about this staff. I think Zorn in a bright football person, and can turn things around in time. In my deepest of hearts I want to keep a staff for more than two years, let them develop into a team with chemistry, let zorn and Campbell grow ala Zorn and hasselbach, ala Reid and McNabb. This organization gives up too quickly on coaching staffs and starts talking the next guy. I really want Zorn to work out, he's young and I think will be a good coach in this league. But, Snyder had to realize that this guy is who he is, right now! He was a QB coach, thats it. never called plays, never designed game plans, never had all the meetings and responsiblity that is involved. That is why I think you need to give this guy more than two seasons. The offense is getting better, except the redzone. Jasons numbers have improved, he looks better and will get better as he gets comfortable. This is something this organization needs. A coach that can grow with the team, the team that can grow with the coach.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
skins89moss
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic View Post
His career was in trouble the minute Shanahan, Holmgren, and Chucky became available. I am not sure what will keep his job short of a NFC championship or super bowl appearance. It stinks to say that, and honestly I dont know how to feel about this staff. I think Zorn in a bright football person, and can turn things around in time. In my deepest of hearts I want to keep a staff for more than two years, let them develop into a team with chemistry, let zorn and Campbell grow ala Zorn and hasselbach, ala Reid and McNabb. This organization gives up too quickly on coaching staffs and starts talking the next guy. I really want Zorn to work out, he's young and I think will be a good coach in this league. But, Snyder had to realize that this guy is who he is, right now! He was a QB coach, thats it. never called plays, never designed game plans, never had all the meetings and responsiblity that is involved. That is why I think you need to give this guy more than two seasons. The offense is getting better, except the redzone. Jasons numbers have improved, he looks better and will get better as he gets comfortable. This is something this organization needs. A coach that can grow with the team, the team that can grow with the coach.
True Dat.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:36 AM   #4
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic View Post
I understand how you feel but I didn't intend for this thread be about whether or not Zorn will get another season.

What I'm saying is that I now believe that Zorn may get fired prior to the bye week, based on the reasons I stated. What do you think about the possibility of that happening?
Old 09-30-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
MTK
\m/

I think he makes it to the bye week. If we're 1-6 at that point, a change could come. Even then I don't think it's a guarantee.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I think he makes it to the bye week. If we're 1-6 at that point, a change could come. Even then I don't think it's a guarantee.
Are you sure that you don't want to reconsider that opinion?

If this team is 1-6 at the bye week, that would mean that we lost to at least three teams (Detroit, KC, and Tampa) that are certifiably terrible and one other (Carolina) that may be mired in a dismal winless season by the time we play them.

If we're 1-6 at the bye, it's possible that we would then be the only team that any of those four teams had beaten this season and we would have lost five straight games during the easy part of our schedule - three of them at home.

At that point, I'm pretty sure that Zorn would be fired immediately. We're talking about what Dan Snyder, not Job, might do.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:17 AM   #7
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Isn't Zorn also the QB Coach and Offensive Coordinator?

So by removing Zorn, the organization would have to replace 3 people in mid season?

I agree, that, if a major improvement does not take place that Zorn could be let go during the bye week. But even then it is a drastic measure and it could mean that Snyder has written off the season at that point.

To bring in 3 new people after a coach firing because of all the hats he wears is pretty risky.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:19 AM   #8
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I see us possibly beating KC and that's it. 2-5 by the break. Will DS have a knee jerk reaction? My gut tells me no only cause he wants the perseption to be he plaid out the season like a good owner and was forced to make a change. Then whoever he brings in will be a blessing to the fans and the HC can pick co-ordinators from other teams if need be to fill coaching spots. To bring someone in mid season would leave whatever HC with the same coaching assistants and no one would know Zorn's scheme as well as Zorn.

Maybe he has Shanahan on speed dial. Maybe he has spoken with him and told him to get a field of coach's ready in case he has to make a mid season change. but whoever is brought in can't touch other teams coach's right now until the end of the season. So it would almost be best to just let Zorn ride out this storm and then let whoever the new HC is be able to create his own staff as well as being able to bring in their guys from other teams if need be.

I would assume Shanahan would want to bring in his son who is working for the Texans right now and can't be touched until season's end. Unless the Texans give permission.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:21 AM   #9
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Maybe thats why the plane was in Denver even though the organization is denying speaking with Shanahan.

My favorite would be Marty as GM and his son as HC. but I think DS is becoming good friends with Shanahan so if need be Shanahan can take over at some point.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:45 AM   #10
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I don't entirely understand the Rooney rule but I'm not sure if we can just hire Shanahan mid-season just like that
Old 09-30-2009, 09:57 AM   #11
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

If Zorn were to be fired at the bye week, I would expect there to be an interim coach for the rest of the season.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #12
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
If Zorn were to be fired at the bye week, I would expect there to be an interim coach for the rest of the season.
I agree. Bringing in someone from the outside would be almost unheard of. Does anyone know if something like that has happened before?
Old 09-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #13
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I don't entirely understand the Rooney rule but I'm not sure if we can just hire Shanahan mid-season just like that
I don't think we can. I'm in no way racist, but I think the Rooney rule is crap. Teams should be able to hire whomever they feel will do the best job leading their franchise, completely independent of ethnicity. With this rule, a team that may already have their mind made up on a coach has to interview a minority candidate just because. In cases like this it's a totally fake interview and a waste of time for both parties.

I highly doubt guys like Lovie Smith and Mike Tomlin have their jobs because the Rooney rule bought them an interview. They are head coaches because they are damn good at what they do. Skill level should get you an interview, not skin color.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #14
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I agree. Bringing in someone from the outside would be almost unheard of. Does anyone know if something like that has happened before?
I can't ever remember it happening. Actually, when was the last time a coach got fired mid-season at all? That in itself is a very rare occurrence, let alone giving the guy a boot and bringing in an outsider. I think the only guy out there that would work for us in that regard would be Gruden. He runs the same system and has never been one to insist on GM-like control over personnel. But he's not that dumb. He wouldn't come here under those circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Maybe thats why the plane was in Denver even though the organization is denying speaking with Shanahan.

My favorite would be Marty as GM and his son as HC. but I think DS is becoming good friends with Shanahan so if need be Shanahan can take over at some point.
You think DS is becoming good friends with Shanahan based soley on the fact that his plane was spotted in Denver and he supposedly wasn't even on it? Nah.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #15
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I can't ever remember it happening. Actually, when was the last time a coach got fired mid-season at all? That in itself is a very rare occurrence, let alone giving the guy a boot and bringing in an outsider. I think the only guy out there that would work for us in that regard would be Gruden. He runs the same system and has never been one to insist on GM-like control over personnel. But he's not that dumb. He wouldn't come here under those circumstances.
What do you mean? Didn't three coaches get fired mid-season last year?