Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

do you think this is crazy

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-29-2004, 02:54 PM   #31
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsRock
Drew Brees is proof that a little patience can work. He has been in the same system for a few years now, and is finally coming on. Yeah, it has taken longer than they had planned, but who's to say the same type of thing can't happen with Ramsey a year sooner??? No one knows, and the only way to find out is to just let him play.
This team, AND IT'S FANS has to get rid of the quick fix mentality! Our QB situation is fine how it is. We need to have patience. Yeah, it sucks this year, but the whole point in Gibbs coming back was to bring stability, and switching QB's every year is not the way to do that.
I couldn't agree more.

Marty is having success in San Diego because the front office has stuck with him and given him a realistic chance to turn things around.

Nowadays in the NFL it's like if you can't win in 1 or 2 years the fans are ready to ride you outta town.

Quick fixes rarely work, we should be experts on this topic by now.
MTK is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-29-2004, 03:01 PM   #32
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
I couldn't agree more.

Nowadays in the NFL it's like if you can't win in 1 or 2 years the fans are ready to ride you outta town.

Same could be said about the sports media as well....

Even a guy in my Calc class this morning at the University told me that he heard on Sports Center that Gibbs is going to step down after this season. I find it hard to believe and until I hear it coming out of Gibbs' mouth I'm going to consider it nothing but fodder.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:38 PM   #33
Taylor Rules
Camp Scrub

I am having a hard time understanding why people seem to be supporting Ramsey so much. Why? What exactly has he done that makes people think he will be able to lead this team to the playoffs and beyond? Has he show anything other than being able to throw the ball far (arm strength means nothing if you can't get it anywhere near your receivers)? As far as Drew Brees is concerned - one good year - that's it. If he comes here, he will have no Gates to throw to and a group of erceivers who can't get open and when they do - they drop the ball. Signing him would be a huge mistake. He would have to learn a new offense and would probably not be very effective.

I say:

1. HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER -BYE BYE VINNY
2. Get rid of Samuels - he is not worth half his money
3. The Gardner era is OVER - trade him for whatever we can get for him
4. Dump Morton - he is getting paid to return for 5 yards a punt (it seems like 5 yards)
5. Sign Smoot, period.
6. Draft O-LINE, namely Elton Brown from Virginia.
7. Trade for Matt Schaub - he will be a very good QB in this league - why not for us?

Any thoughts????????????
Taylor Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:24 PM   #34
Redskins8588
Playmaker

I am not sure as to why you think that Schaub will be good in this league? I mean you say what has Pat Ramsey done, well let me ask what has Schaub done? Correct me if I am wrong, but Schaub ran a west coast O in college, and when he had all of his success in the pre-season, remember it was only pre-season.

Nothing against Schaub, who knows he may become a great player, but anyhow I am not sure if you noticed that since Ramsey took over for an ineffective Brunell our offense does at least move the ball, now I understand that we are still having troubles on offense, but before you come down on Ramsey look and see how may times he hits the recievers in the hands and they still drop the ball.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:10 PM   #35
MTK
\m/

LOL yeah let's start over with another QB, an unknown commodity is what we need, Ramsey is clearly not going to develop, I mean c'mon he's had 18 career starts. That's more than enough time to turn into a superstar.

I'm tired of the quick fixes and always looking at other teams' rosters, let's stick with what we've got and stop with starting over every other year at QB.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:37 PM   #36
That Guy
Living Legend

ramsey's done but somehow schaub is the answer? sorry, but i don't think so...
That Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 10:59 PM   #37
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Hopefully, the last 2 games and the remaining 5 games will give Gibbs and the offensive assistant coaches enough film of Ramsey for them to decide if he is indeed the long-term answer at QB - or if they need to do something else at that position. That's almost a half a season of film for them to study; and they need to have an answer mapped out in their minds as the FA season begins.

The reason for that is simple. If Joe Gibbs and Co. are going to coach this team for the next 5 years, and IF this coaching staff is not comfortable with Ramsey at QB, then they have to have a contingency plan developed.

Personally, I think the jury is still out on Ramsey and I'm looking for improvement to start showing as he gets more rhythm from playing and as he goes up against some "lesser defenses" such as SF and Dallas. And the improvement I'm looking for is not necessarily in the stat sheet. I want to see him calm in the pocket and delivering the ball with a full body motion and follow through that hits the receiver on the run. He didn't do that much against Philly and Pitts even with a short passing game. Granted, those defenses were on him like ugly on an ape, but I want to see him play like that when the "lesser defenses" show up on the schedule.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 11:07 PM   #38
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon
Hopefully, the last 2 games and the remaining 5 games will give Gibbs and the offensive assistant coaches enough film of Ramsey for them to decide if he is indeed the long-term answer at QB - or if they need to do something else at that position. That's almost a half a season of film for them to study; and they need to have an answer mapped out in their minds as the FA season begins.

The reason for that is simple. If Joe Gibbs and Co. are going to coach this team for the next 5 years, and IF this coaching staff is not comfortable with Ramsey at QB, then they have to have a contingency plan developed.

Personally, I think the jury is still out on Ramsey and I'm looking for improvement to start showing as he gets more rhythm from playing and as he goes up against some "lesser defenses" such as SF and Dallas. And the improvement I'm looking for is not necessarily in the stat sheet. I want to see him calm in the pocket and delivering the ball with a full body motion and follow through that hits the receiver on the run. He didn't do that much against Philly and Pitts even with a short passing game. Granted, those defenses were on him like ugly on an ape, but I want to see him play like that when the "lesser defenses" show up on the schedule.
You said it right there at the end, the D was all over him on most of his throws against Philly and especially against Pitt, I'd say under the circumstances he did a pretty decent job.

He certainly didn't turn in to the interception machine that some people swore he was going to.

Considering how bad he looked all preseason, I think he's come a long way.

He hasn't exactly stepped in to an ideal situation here either. It's an offense that's struggled all year, WR's can't seem to catch anything, the offensive line is decimated by injuries, the running game has sputtered, etc.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:30 PM   #39
skinsfan0201
Special Teams

Schaub

Matt Schaub did a fine job at UVA (where my sister attended school), I have seen him play over the years there. Though take into consideration that he is simply a rookie who is not developed yet. I can also say that regardless of him being smart and effective in the college ranks the jury is still out on him in the pros as he is not a tested commidity. We picked up Brunell (actually Gibbs did, though I still love him anyhow) without being able to truly test his abilities, it does not seem reasonable to rush to judgement when we still have quality time to examine what we have. I think that Ramsey thus far has done a fine job under the circumstances. Hopefully he will continue to develop as a quarterback.
skinsfan0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 12:16 AM   #40
Big C
Mr. Brightside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Rules
I am having a hard time understanding why people seem to be supporting Ramsey so much. Why? What exactly has he done that makes people think he will be able to lead this team to the playoffs and beyond? Has he show anything other than being able to throw the ball far (arm strength means nothing if you can't get it anywhere near your receivers)? As far as Drew Brees is concerned - one good year - that's it. If he comes here, he will have no Gates to throw to and a group of erceivers who can't get open and when they do - they drop the ball. Signing him would be a huge mistake. He would have to learn a new offense and would probably not be very effective.

I say:

1. HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER -BYE BYE VINNY
2. Get rid of Samuels - he is not worth half his money
3. The Gardner era is OVER - trade him for whatever we can get for him
4. Dump Morton - he is getting paid to return for 5 yards a punt (it seems like 5 yards)
5. Sign Smoot, period.
6. Draft O-LINE, namely Elton Brown from Virginia.
7. Trade for Matt Schaub - he will be a very good QB in this league - why not for us?

Any thoughts????????????
i think i sense a little UVA bias there...
Old 12-01-2004, 10:35 AM   #41
That Guy
Living Legend

doing well in college and doing well in the pros are completely different things though... see tim couch.
That Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 04:46 PM   #42
Taylor Rules
Camp Scrub

They were just a few suggestions. Sorry to all the Ramsey fans. I just don't think he is the answer. I hope I am wrong, because he is all we have right now.

As for the UVa bias - absolutely. But have you seen Elton Brown play? He is much better now than some of our o-lineman.

As far as Schaub goes - I just thinnk he will be good. But he might not. It was just a thought. The sad thing is that the state of the team as it is now makes people have to think about what to do next, becasue what they are doing just simply is not working. And having been a fan for so long, it is starting to get real old.
Taylor Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 05:14 PM   #43
MTK
\m/

I think it's premature to say if he is the answer or if he's not the answer.

Hopefully these last 5 games will help us get a clearer idea.