Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Week 1)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-05-2008, 07:24 PM   #31
Boston Brave
Camp Scrub

Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Week 1)

9. Chris Cooley. My favorite player, however not able to make key blocks due to scheme or Giant D-line abilty. Had nice run post catch, but did count due to penalty.
Boston Brave is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-05-2008, 08:08 PM   #32
djnemo65
Playmaker

Jason Campbell - read the defense, make the pass. On the first passing play for the Skins, in which Campbell was violently sacked, Cooley was wide freaking open but was never seen. This was a trend that would continue.

Jim Zorn - pass on second down. Campbell was consistently put in third and long situations in the second half. When going against a blitzing defense with a qb whose confidence is shaky this is a recipe for disaster.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #33
53Fan
Franchise Player

I can't believe how some people are reacting to this loss. I guess we should of gotten rid of Gibbs when he went 0-5 his first time around. We did'nt look too good then either. I know we did'nt look good in this loss but we WILL make adjustments. Thats what good coaches do when given TIME. I have faith in this team and coaching staff. We will lose again and we won't look good when we do it. We never look good when we lose. The giants lost a few games in the regular season last year, the patriots lost none. You tell me who had the most successful year.
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:13 PM   #34
DIRTEE
Special Teams

We looked terrible and the Giants looked terrible but escaped with the win. There's nothing to cry about, JC sees his errors, JZ knows what the team needs to do to prepare for the next game. Tough loss. Cry if the team goes 1-4, then we might need to move pieces around. Kendall #1; Fletcher is a beast.
DIRTEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:07 PM   #35
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwoody85 View Post
....as Brian Mitchell said on the post game- selfish move keeping the streak alive just to get blown out on almost every play.
What our D held the to only 16 points and its our O that lost the game. tell BM to stick it!!!!!
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:00 AM   #36
GoSkins!
The Starter

One thing that worries me is that when guys in the press ask Zorn about the things we are seeing (poor clock management, not getting Cooley involved...) he doesn't ever accept responsibility. Instead he says "Well we had 8 minutes", instead of addressing why Jason was WALKING up to huddle and "we had two plays to Cooley where guys jumped offsides". WOW! 2 plays!

I'll bet that players are not going to take being called out in public much longer if he doesn't start shouldering some of the blame himself. Especially after the way Gibbs ran things (and won games).
Old 09-06-2008, 01:01 AM   #37
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Ok people you all need to be consistent....get on Springs case for not playing while hurt, while faulting Jason Taylor for playing WHILE hurt? So which one is correct? Besides, Jacobs ran all over the entire defense. Yes they were running in the direction of Taylor, but a number of times he ran up the middle, and he wasn't stopped.

And once again stop focusing on one guy just b/c you don't like him. Reed Doughty along with the ENTIRE secondary did not play well. Everytime Burress caught the ball the nearest Redskins defender was at least 5 yards away from him, if not further away.

Yet despite their shortcomings, kudos to the entire defense for stepping it up and holding the Giants to 16 pts in the first half and no points in the second half. I am positive they will do much better with a healthy Spring and Taylor. Although, I think the team needs to rotate Evans or one of our DEs who's better at stopping the run (do we have one) on obvious running situations.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:52 AM   #38
hucapn
Camp Scrub

What happened vs. NYG

Ok, lets keep this real simple. I will attack this from a straight football perspective. Brandon Jacobs is 6'4" 264. Any pro football players trying to square up and put a hit on this guy to bring him down is crazy. We as a team are ALREADY poor talkers and yet we stil insist on going for the big hit every time. Yes Sean did it and we loved it. But guess what, THE REST OF THEM ARE NOT THAT GOOD. We saw it against jacksonville and Carolina. Arm tackles should have stopped in high school. And when you're giving up six to seven yards a pop on runs, the play action and pumps/bootlegs will kill you because you have a 6'5" freak with hands running around on our SECOND AND THIRD CORNERS and Reed "What did you say" Doughty. I'm disgusted. and if we thought that was bad, here's some reasons why it will get worse:

1.) Marques Colston
2.) Stephen Jackson
3.) The Cardinals w/four wide
4.) FUCKING SEATTLE AGAIN
5.) Carlos still can't catch a cold

ps THANKS OUT LOUD TO FLETCHER AND CARTER FOR BEING MEN ON THE FIELD
hucapn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:54 AM   #39
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSkins! View Post
One thing that worries me is that when guys in the press ask Zorn about the things we are seeing (poor clock management, not getting Cooley involved...) he doesn't ever accept responsibility. Instead he says "Well we had 8 minutes", instead of addressing why Jason was WALKING up to huddle and "we had two plays to Cooley where guys jumped offsides". WOW! 2 plays!

I'll bet that players are not going to take being called out in public much longer if he doesn't start shouldering some of the blame himself. Especially after the way Gibbs ran things (and won games).
I thought the fans wanted a HC that called out some players once in a while rather than hiding them from blame in the media? That was one of the major gripes with Gibbs.

Zorn is not one to deflect blame from himself... if you listened to him all preseason he definitely takes blame when needed. Actually I'm really amazed that someone is all of a sudden trying to say Zorn just points the finger at everyone else.

How is this for taking some blame:

Quote:
Coach Jim Zorn, the former Seahawks quarterback and coach, rapped on the podium as he talked about his first game of record, his frustrations coming through as he chided himself for some of his decisions. Zorn, who also calls the plays, said he lost track of the clock when he opted for a time-consuming running play with his team trailing by nine late in the game.

"I didn't quite punch myself in the face this morning, but I was angry with myself," Zorn said.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:30 PM   #40
over the mountain
Playmaker

yeah i like zorn's straight up talk . . .to add to what zorn said in his press conference about not using timeouts when we had the ball with 3 minutes left was interesting and insightful. basically he was hoping for a quick score then if we didnt get the ball from the onside we would still have enough timeouts to make the giants punt and not be able to take a knee. makes sense to me.

did i hear right that zorn said that we couldnt go fast paced no huddle because we dont have a 2 min drill or no huddle offense installed yet?

go skins!
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:31 PM   #41
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
yeah i like zorn's straight up talk . . .to add to what zorn said in his press conference about not using timeouts when we had the ball with 3 minutes left was interesting and insightful. basically he was hoping for a quick score then if we didnt get the ball from the onside we would still have enough timeouts to make the giants punt and not be able to take a knee. makes sense to me.

did i hear right that zorn said that we couldnt go fast paced no huddle because we dont have a 2 min drill or no huddle offense installed yet?

go skins!
Well with learning a new play book I guess you pick what to learn and what order it goes. 2 min drill and no huddle is important but learning the plays first help them run smoother.

The time out thing makes sense but I was just hoping for a quick first down at that point.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:49 PM   #42
doughtydoubter
Impact Rookie

Our D is really not this issue at this point...it is and always has been our offense the past decade...we need to score. If we are to be run run pass...we need to be dominant at it. If we are to be pass happy, then we need to execute and obtain first downs. I have cooled off quite a bit and overall i was pretty proud of the d stepping up. I still remain extremely displeased with the play calling
doughtydoubter is offline   Reply With Quote