Longest... Preseason... Ever

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-22-2008, 12:05 AM   #16
jsarno
Franchise Player

Re: Longest... Preseason... Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
From the recent talk I've heard on NFL radio an 18 game regular season with a 2 game preseason is definitely in the works and seems inevitable.
Is there any talk on possible an implimentation date?

Advertisements
Old 08-22-2008, 12:20 AM   #17
Ruhskins
Living Legend

A longer regular season would be nice, and while I know people are not big fans of the preseason, I think we must remember that the preseason gives coaches and opportunity to see young players preform in real game situations. I also think that the league must be careful about expanding the games of the regular season. I know that we won't become like baseball and their gazillion regular season games, but I feel like in the NFL every game is meaningful because the season is not that long.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:01 AM   #18
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGenRedskin21 View Post
I think the giants will be a step slower because they lost ALOT of key parts from last years defense, and they arent exactly a powerhouse on offense. We should rape the giants, seriously.. they lost a starting safety,starting DE, and starting LB... plus im sure they ost a few other players but teams dont usually do very good after winning a superbowl except the pats and im willing to bet that the Giants are very "giant" this year.. History is against them
I hope thats true but their O looked pretty good the other night (30 points in the first half) and their D is still getting at the QB. Now their D did give up 30 some points but I believe most of those came in the second half.

While I'll enjoy this 4th game with the starters playing more it scars me to watch because it a greater chance for a starter to get injured. We have stayed pretty healthy so lets cross our fingers we can get them in and out without any thing major and then the starters should have 2 weeks to get ready.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:47 AM   #19
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
From the recent talk I've heard on NFL radio an 18 game regular season with a 2 game preseason is definitely in the works and seems inevitable.
This will be another step towards reducing the quality of play IMO. It doesn't mean people won't watch, but there will be a lot of meaningless games in the end w/more chance for injury.

The whole idea that you can replace 2 preseason games w/2 regular season games is ridiculous. It's not like the starters play much in all of 4 preseason games, and if coaches are worried about injuries play the scurbs, that's what preseason is for.

If this is implemented, it'll only take a season or 2 for coaches to say that they don't have enough game film to evaluate their young & bubble players. I know this is an answer to revenue sharing and not injury concerns, but it's a bad solution. I can't imagine the players would really want to play 2 regular season games just to give up 2 preseason games. 18 games is far too much IMO, it's going to make the super bowl more of a test of endurance & health.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:03 AM   #20
hail_2_da_skins
Impact Rookie

At the beginning of pre-season, I'm hyped because I know the regular season is just around the corner. But after two weeks of meaningless games, I'm ready for the real thing. I will be glad when the NFL decides to reduce the number of pre-season games. I like the way College football starts off with a bang and every game counts. Usually they start with out of conference cream puffs, then out of conference competition and then progress to interconference rivalries. The NFL schedule is not so nice. For some teams, it's downright unfair. I don't know of another team that has to play all of it's division rivals, on the road, in it's first five games. That is ridiculous.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:17 AM   #21
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

You wanna kill some time? Do something unusual. I bought a motorcycle without telling my wife. Talk about a distraction. Not only do I get to re-learn how to ride, I get to fight with the wife about it every 2 days. And now I have a reason to wear a helmet and boots, instead of just wanting to look cool.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:20 AM   #22
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalEnigma21 View Post
You wanna kill some time? Do something unusual. I bought a motorcycle without telling my wife. Talk about a distraction. Not only do I get to re-learn how to ride, I get to fight with the wife about it every 2 days. And now I have a reason to wear a helmet and boots, instead of just wanting to look cool.
Holy cow. I think I'd kill my wife if she spent as much money on something, without telling me, as a motorcycle costs. I'd at least go upside her head with a bottle of bub (you know where I effing be).

You have guts, my friend. You should wear the helmet in the house!
Old 08-22-2008, 11:22 AM   #23
killromo
Special Teams

Quote:
The season is just 2 weeks away from today, that's coming quick! Honestly I'm not sure that I'm ready for the weekly stress and all the ups and downs.
I can honestly say that being a Redskins fan has taken years off of my life... mainly the stress that surrounds our team but also the tailgate food and binge drinking
killromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:27 AM   #24
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

Oh no schneed. I only spent 500 bucks of MY money. Its an old beater bike. Lol