Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Portis and Betts: Should We Just Stick With Portis?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-08-2007, 05:40 PM   #76
SC Skins Fan
The Starter

Re: Portis and Betts: Should We Just Stick With Portis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
So now Portis is a scat back... I don't understand why people still have the impression that Betts is this bruising power back. Does anyone recall the play yesterday when Betts was running straight up the gut, and got blown up on a high tackle? Any "power" back in the league should have an advantage on a high tackle when the supposed power back is running downhill with a head of steam, but Betts got knocked two yards backwards.

And Betts isn't exactly in his "early" days. He's been in the league for six years now, which means over half his career is over. Running backs aren't really known for 10+ year careers.
I remember the play and basically Ernie Sims - a top 10 pick - flashed in the hole completely untouched (was on the right side of the line btw) and hit Betts in the backfield. I don't recall Betts being "blown up" on the play and actually he spun a bit and fell forward. Basically the play was dead for the get go because the blocking apparently broke down, or Sims made a nice play, or some combination of the two. No one would have had a chance on that play, not Clinton Portis, not Ladell Betts, not Stephen Davis, not Gerald Riggs, not John Riggins, you get my point. I don't think you need to tear down Betts because you like Portis and a probably wouldn't point to that particular play. If you are getting hit in the backfield, just after you get the ball, by a 250 pound man who runs a 4.5 who is coming at a dead sprint then there are other problems other than who is carrying the ball.

Advertisements
Old 10-08-2007, 08:43 PM   #77
Cowell
Impact Rookie

Yeah he didn't get blown up, he got hit hard. He stayed up though and if Simms hadn't rapped his legs he would have kept going. It's not Bett's fault Simms got into the backfield that fast.
Cowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:29 AM   #78
MTRedskinsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Skins Fan View Post
I remember the play and basically Ernie Sims - a top 10 pick - flashed in the hole completely untouched (was on the right side of the line btw) and hit Betts in the backfield. I don't recall Betts being "blown up" on the play and actually he spun a bit and fell forward. Basically the play was dead for the get go because the blocking apparently broke down, or Sims made a nice play, or some combination of the two. No one would have had a chance on that play, not Clinton Portis, not Ladell Betts, not Stephen Davis, not Gerald Riggs, not John Riggins, you get my point. I don't think you need to tear down Betts because you like Portis and a probably wouldn't point to that particular play. If you are getting hit in the backfield, just after you get the ball, by a 250 pound man who runs a 4.5 who is coming at a dead sprint then there are other problems other than who is carrying the ball.
Exactly! Weird how some people want to tear down Betts after he helped us save some dignity through last year's nightmare. This guy is better than every other backup I can think of aside from Turner, and he's better than a few of the starters (Lindell White). I think Skins fans should stop crapping on our guy - he's a Redskin thru and thru or he would have gone elsewhere after last season to cash in on his performance (2nd only to LT for the last 6 or 8 games).
MTRedskinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:33 AM   #79
budw38
Playmaker

I would like to see Mr. Sellers get some carries early , to wear down the defence . Give teams one more thing to worry about , then those toss plays to CP will pick up some huge gains . When are we going to see R. El throw a td to CP ? Once the Line gels , JC keeps getting better , CP / Moss near 100% the O should be just fine ,,,, just need to get 7 pts on our long drives and after turnovers !!
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:32 AM   #80
Southpaw
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTRedskinsFan View Post
Exactly! Weird how some people want to tear down Betts after he helped us save some dignity through last year's nightmare. This guy is better than every other backup I can think of aside from Turner, and he's better than a few of the starters (Lindell White). I think Skins fans should stop crapping on our guy - he's a Redskin thru and thru or he would have gone elsewhere after last season to cash in on his performance (2nd only to LT for the last 6 or 8 games).
Yet it's perfectly ok to crap on Portis...

And just as I see the play as a supposed power back getting overpowered, the Betts lovers see it completely different. I've already stated that I like the current situation with the running backs, but some people still seem to think that Betts' production last season has anything to do with this season, in which Betts' numbers are below average.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:59 AM   #81
jdlea
Playmaker

I'm so sick of people acting like pointing out Ladell Betts flaws (like his 2.7 ypc) is somehow tearing him down. He doesn't get in the end zone and he's not running well this season. I like the way they're being used this year, but I feel the need to disspell these rumors about Ladell Betts being a power back or a "Gibbs style runner" because those are both false. He's a good backup. Period.

As for being the best backup in the league, here are a few people who are better: Marion Barber, Maurice Jones-Drew, Adrian Peterson and Michael Turner (as you stated). I would consider adding Najeh Davenport to that list. Does that mean Ladell is a bad back? No, I've never said that. I'm just trying to illustrate that Clinton is the better back, and that Betts's one good season doesn't make him better than everyone else in the NFL.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:44 PM   #82
MTRedskinsFan

WTF! If we gave Betts the kind of treatment Barber gets he'd have more yards than Barber already. Dallas lets jones wear down the D's front seven for 3 qtrs and then Barber comes in w/ a head full of steam so it looks like he can mow people down on call. We've used Betts sporadically (once every few plays) throughout a game to give CP rest. It's totally different. Adrian Peterson is only the backup because he's a rookie, and there's no way Jones-Drew is as good all around as Betts.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:47 PM   #83
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
WTF! If we gave Betts the kind of treatment Barber gets he'd have more yards than Barber already. Dallas lets jones wear down the D's front seven for 3 qtrs and then Barber comes in w/ a head full of steam so it looks like he can mow people down on call. We've used Betts sporadically (once every few plays) throughout a game to give CP rest. It's totally different. Adrian Peterson is only the backup because he's a rookie, and there's no way Jones-Drew is as good all around as Betts.
You're wrong. I've seen every Boys game this year and they split carries about the same way that the Skins do. Generally one of them takes a series. Barber is a better back and he gets in the end zone much better than Ladell Betts. Also, Jones-Drew is a better runner, maybe not the best pass catcher, but he is a better blocker. And regardless of whether he's a rookie or not, he's not the starter, so if I remember correctly, that makes Peterson a backup.

Also, as of right now, Ladell Betts is the 87th best back in the league as far as YPC
Old 10-09-2007, 12:50 PM   #84
MTRedskinsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
You're wrong. I've seen every Boys game this year and they split carries about the same way that the Skins do. Generally one of them takes a series. Barber is a better back and he gets in the end zone much better than Ladell Betts. Also, Jones-Drew is a better runner, maybe not the best pass catcher, but he is a better blocker. And regardless of whether he's a rookie or not, he's not the starter, so if I remember correctly, that makes him a backup.
I really don't see what you're talking about with Barber. Every commentator I've heard during the Dallas games has talked about the Dallas strategy w/ Jones and Barber - Bulk of Barber's carries come in 4th qtr.

Why are you taking the time to watch every Dallas game? This is suspicious.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:54 PM   #85
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
I really don't see what you're talking about with Barber. Every commentator I've heard during the Dallas games has talked about the Dallas strategy w/ Jones and Barber - Bulk of Barber's carries come in 4th qtr.

Why are you taking the time to watch every Dallas game? This is suspicious.
Because one of my roommates is a Boys fan so when the Skins and Boys don't play at the same time we watch the other. Or we go to Damon's and watch them both. I'm also a football fan, so I watch every game I can. Everything I've seen from Barber makes me believe he's a better runner and pass catcher. He's not just their goalline back anymore, he's actually outplayed Julius Jones this season. I haven't noticed any trend with him playing the 4th, he may get more carries in the 4th, but the same would apply to Jones because they're always winning in the 4th.