A thorough ASS WOOPING!!

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-08-2007, 06:05 PM   #46
hurrykaine
Impact Rookie

Re: A thorough ASS WOOPING!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWsleep View Post
I'm soooo tired of this line of patter. Like they didn't let Al call the plays all season long and all of last year? Why do you think this? Do you really think Joe Gibbs jumps into the headset relay between Al and JC and just calls some other play? Or that during a drive he tells Al to do something different? Or that he said to Al: look, I respect your playbook and all, but don't call this page or that page or that page?

Here's another possibility: Al is calling the plays in the way he wants, given his consultation with the offensive staff and his knowledge of the players we have and the D we play. And some days it works well, and others it doesn't. I know that lots of us think JG is god, he can't be criticized or whatever (this is obviously an exaggeration, but you get the idea), but this idea that Al is god, and that the success is his but the failure isn't is also incorrect.

I think Al did call the plays last year and we stunk up the joint because Brunell didn't know the offense well enough. Not elevating Al to god-like status, but his offense and his play calling are a lot more effective than the high school offense Gibbs, Breaux and Buges ran in 2004.
hurrykaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-08-2007, 06:15 PM   #47
hurrykaine
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Now now - we all know that Joe only calls the plays when we lose.
Let me qualify that a little...when our offense scores less than 20 points in a game, you can be fairly certain that Gibbs called the plays, whether we won, or lost.
hurrykaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:17 PM   #48
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

This is like the Betts vs. Portis debate. There's a reason Portis is the starter, but you shouldn't underestimate Betts' value.

There's a reason Gibbs is a Hall of Fame head coach, but you shouldn't underestimate Saunders' value.

Why can't we appreciate having both Portis and Betts, Gibbs and Saunders?

If we're going to keep harping on 2004, why don't we harp on the fact that someone here said this game would have all the makings of a "typical" Gibbs 2.0 game...get humiliated by a team we should easily beat.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #49
MTK
\m/

So I guess Gibbs gets all the blame in a loss but all the credit goes to Saunders in a win?
Old 10-08-2007, 07:43 PM   #50
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Sounds that way! Lol.

Whatever. I agree with Smooty here--we're at our best if we can use ALL the talent we have, from top to bottom. You saw some of that this week--a Gibbs ball-control game plan with Saunders plays--well executed by the players!--making it happen. And you saw GW dial down the blitz and have Greg Blache and his boys go out and kick some ass. That's what's gonna getter done "up here."
Old 10-08-2007, 10:01 PM   #51
rypper11
The Starter

Who needs the national media slamming the Skins that they still aren't a good team when their own fans slam them worse.
rypper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:35 PM   #52
jsarno
Franchise Player

Just for the record, I do give Gibbs a bunch of credit (and have on several threads) for recognizing his style did not work 2 weeks ago in the second half, and made the proper adjustments. I give the coaching staff ALL THE credit for this win, just as I gave them all the flack for the loss in Giants game.

It's funny how people attack each other here. There are just as many people here that will cite "execution" as the problem and not the coaches when we lose, but when we win, it's all Joe Gibbs.
Everyone here needs to stop calling the kettle black and enjoy one of the best wins we have seen probably since the 05 cowboys comeback.