McNabb says black QBs criticized more

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #136
dgack
The Starter

Re: McNabb says black QBs criticized more

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Very interesting...thanks for the description.

I wonder when the term "white" will no longer be socially accepted instead you'll see "italian american", or "Irish American" etc. We seem to be a society that loves to divide and separate.
Well, for people with strong ties to their heritage this is already true. But I think what you will see in ~50 years is a lot more of this with respect to "non-white" people, especially those who are a product of biracial marriages. As I said a long time ago in this thread, you look at someone like Tiger Woods, who is successful and multiracial, and he breaks a lot of stereotypes and classifications. I think the old school, "keep to yourself" attitudes are slowly dying out with the older generations.

There will always be hardcore bigots, but for every one of them there are dozens and dozens of college kids who have friends / companions / romances with people of many different ethnicities, who seek out and enjoy celebrating the differences of other cultures. And, every generation, the median acceptance of this kind of vibe rises a little, like seawater after a rain.
"To bring a Sherm Lewis in to a Jim Zorn and whoever his offensive coordinator is, it's like bringing in another man to help teach you how to make better love to your wife or something." -- Tre Johnson
dgack is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-22-2007, 12:33 PM   #137
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
while i feel Mcnabb is way off base with his comments, the timing is horrible. as soon as he starts to play bad, he says this stuff. and i think its funny that when he brings this up, one Mr Jason Campbell is starting right here in D.C. i can almost guarantee you, if you are a black quarterback that can play, you will get your shot.
It was taped from a few weeks ago.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:39 PM   #138
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Re: And now I don't care about McNabb...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post

The fact is that the NBA gathers all the best players it can find no matter what race they are or what country they come from. You really think that the NBA scouts would go out of their way to recruit people from Russia or China or whatever the fu*% else small hole in the wall country and at the same time neglect to recruit some of the best players from america because they think "white people can't jump?"

This is shear ignorance!

Just because you have a friend that you expected to make the pros and he wasn't given the respect YOU THINK he deserved does not prove that their is an over-arching bias against white basketball players.
Good points here. The NBA is a profit maximizing business they are not going to spend tons of resources searching all over the world for ballers if there is enough "white" talent at home. It costs more is not practical.

That doesn't mean there is no racism involved in the NBA whether it be black or white, but it's not nearly to the extent as jsarno is claiming it to be. His friend seems to be an point of that case, or hell it could also be another reason we are not sure of. Alot of times good players just don't make it. It just happens. Bad luck or whatever.

Just because you hear about this kinda stuff here and there doesn't mean it is fact. Obviously in this case the sample size isn't even large enough to make an assessment of the entire US population. Therefore we have to fall back to the null assumption, which is that there are small amounts of racism all over the US, but not so much in major sports.(I take alot of Stat classes lol)
Old 09-22-2007, 03:16 PM   #139
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgack View Post
Well, for people with strong ties to their heritage this is already true. But I think what you will see in ~50 years is a lot more of this with respect to "non-white" people, especially those who are a product of biracial marriages. As I said a long time ago in this thread, you look at someone like Tiger Woods, who is successful and multiracial, and he breaks a lot of stereotypes and classifications. I think the old school, "keep to yourself" attitudes are slowly dying out with the older generations.

There will always be hardcore bigots, but for every one of them there are dozens and dozens of college kids who have friends / companions / romances with people of many different ethnicities, who seek out and enjoy celebrating the differences of other cultures. And, every generation, the median acceptance of this kind of vibe rises a little, like seawater after a rain.
Just gotta say...GREAT SIG!!!!
Old 09-23-2007, 08:26 AM   #140
PhxRedSkin
Special Teams

McNabb's statements have really changed my opinion of him. He has lost a lot of my respect. I thought we were almost over this issue with Cunningham, Williams, Moon, and more recently V Young(not to overlook others). Who cares really? I think McNabb is strecthing or reaching on his statements. Bad and dumb move McNabb.

P.S. Re: Philly is the worst, toughest, most critical, blah blah blah football town to play in, remember Rypien was booooooed off the field the following season after winning the SB.

Hail
PhxRedSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:58 PM   #141
jsarno
Franchise Player

Re: And now I don't care about McNabb...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
What about Jake the Snake (n reference to scrambling qb's
I waited for the thread to die down a little before I blasted this comment.
How can you call plummer a scrambling qb when the most rushing yards he has had in a season is 283...he's had 200 or more yards in a season only 5 times in 10 years. To make matters worse, he averaged 2.99 carries per game throughout his career. 2.99! That's not a scrambling QB.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:01 PM   #142
Cowell
Impact Rookie

I think the call him "Jake the Snake" because he was so elusive. Defenders had a hard time getting a hand on him in the pocket he could get out of bad situations.
Cowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #143
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowell View Post
I think the call him "Jake the Snake" because he was so elusive. Defenders had a hard time getting a hand on him in the pocket he could get out of bad situations.
That doesn't make him a scrambler, that makes him elusive.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:42 PM   #144
Cowell
Impact Rookie

That's the point I was proving. I don't understand how "snake" implies scrambling.
Cowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:10 PM   #145
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowell View Post
That's the point I was proving. I don't understand how "snake" implies scrambling.
Oh, sorry...I misunderstood your post.