Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Go Front Office - Nice Drafting Under Gibbs

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-23-2007, 07:17 AM   #1
Schneed10
A Dude

Go Front Office - Nice Drafting Under Gibbs

Just wanted to throw a thread out there giving some props to our much maligned front office for the way they've drafted recently. A review:

Sean Taylor with the 5th pick - still waiting for him to reach full potential, but went to the pro-bowl last year and has become probably the most feared hitter in the game.

Chris Cooley in the 3rd round - we traded picks to get him, and it definitely has paid off. He's now making stud TE money.

Carlos Rogers with the 9th pick - Carlos is up and down, but I have to give love here because he locked down the Eagles. I think we're still waiting for him to show he's consistent and can catch the ball, but overall, a pick that didn't kill us.

Jason Campbell with the 25th pick - Kid looks like the real deal already, and everyone around the league agrees. It's so fun to watch him develop; thinking back to what we gave up to move up and pick him, it was WELL worth it. You can't put a price on a franchise QB.

Rocky McIntosh in the 2nd Round - Another guy we traded picks for. We weren't real sure what we had last year, but this year it sure looks like we got ourselves a stud. Yet another draft day trade that panned out.

Anthony Montgomery in the 5th Round - Here's the diamond in the rough we've been craving. Dude has tons of talent, and coming out of school had an attitude and work ethic issue. The coaching staff figured they could whip him into shape and change his attitude. They were right. To his credit, he has worked hard and gotten his body fat count down. And now he looks to be just as much a force along the line as Griffin is. He's a perfect run-stuffing complement to Griffin's inside quickness, and he figures to only get better.

Kedric Golston in the 6th round - A high motor guy you can count on. He beefed up to solidify himself against the run, and though he's short on natural talent, he works his ass off for you and gets the job done. You need guys like that, they keep the heat on people like Montgomery to make sure they maximize their talent. Because if Montgomery slips, Golston will take his job.

Laron Landry with the 6th pick - Seriously, what rookie STARTS for Gregg Williams? Laron's a beast already. I can't wait to see him develop, because if he's this good already, are we talking another Ronnie Lott here?

I know we'd like to have seen some of the offensive linemen pan out, like Molinaro, Wilson, or Lefotu. We certainly could use the depth. But give some credit, we did manage to find Stephon Heyer as an undrafted FA. And I know we'd like to have picks back for the Brandon Lloyd and TJ Duckett fiascos. But man, with the picks we've had, you have to love how we've drafted recently. We're building a team the RIGHT way now. It's got me optimistic about this year and the years to come. With a franchise QB in the making in the fold, even if Gibbs does bow out after next season, he has done his job. He has reinvigorated this team with a strong young core. Kudos to Coach Joe.

Advertisements
Old 09-23-2007, 07:29 AM   #2
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Go Front Office - Nice Drafting Under Gibbs

Imagine how many players we'd be talking about if we kept all our draft picks. Seeing as how our front office drafts pretty good, we really should start keeping our picks. I know Gibbs wants to win now, but when he's gone we're gonna need those picks to further what he started.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:32 AM   #3
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Imagine how many players we'd be talking about if we kept all our draft picks. Seeing as how our front office drafts pretty good, we really should start keeping our picks. I know Gibbs wants to win now, but when he's gone we're gonna need those picks to further what he started.
Yeah I agree. But then again, I wouldn't trade Jason Campbell for the picks we could have had instead of him. Nor Cooley, nor Rocky.

If the team feels that there's a player worth trading up in the draft for, I say go ahead, their track record has earned that respect.

The Duckett and Lloyd deals make me hesitant about us trading for NFL vets, though, that's for sure. Though the Kendall deal looks wise so far.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:42 AM   #4
onlydarksets
Playmaker

They are good picks, but I think the flack has always been that we trade away our picks, not that we make bad picks with the ones we keep. Since 2000, the Skins have had only 20 1-4 round picks, which is lowest in the league. Compare that to the Pats, who had 34, and who have built through the draft.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:31 AM   #5
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Honestly, we haven't been terrible at drafting before Gibbs:
Betts with a 2nd rounder, Dockery with a 3rd, Hamden with a 7th (was a quality backup for a while), Cartwright with a 7th, Robert Royal and Andre Lott both with 5ths. Both who started at one point for the team.

Just saying in general the skins drafts have been pretty damn good. I mean, there are quite a few drafts where we have 3-5 picks.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:41 AM   #6
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
They are good picks, but I think the flack has always been that we trade away our picks, not that we make bad picks with the ones we keep. Since 2000, the Skins have had only 20 1-4 round picks, which is lowest in the league. Compare that to the Pats, who had 34, and who have built through the draft.
Which is another reason to be thankful that we got Joe Gibbs back. Since he has returned, there has been more stability in the FO and the team. Yes, there have been some trades that have not panned out...ie Brandon Loyd and TJ Duckett. However, at least we can look at those trades and see why the Redskins felt they needed those guys at the time. Where as in 2000, it was obvious that the Dan thought he could buy a championship by bringing in all these household names who were in the twilight of their careers.

The ratio of good front office moves to bad front office moves has gotten a lot better in the past couple of seasons. At least at this point, it looks to me that Joe Gibbs is doing exactly what he came back to Washington to do, and that is to rebuild this team from the ground up. I also believe we're doing it right, and in a couple of years we should really see the difference!
Old 09-23-2007, 10:44 AM   #7
djnemo65
Playmaker

Just imagine how much better things are going to get now that we are committed to keeping our picks. Good times ahead.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:02 AM   #8
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Nice thread. I'll give the FO a B for drafting and, if JC and Rocky turn out to be the studs we think they'll be, an A-. The picks are definately good, I just wish we had kept more of them. Hindsight is 20/20, but the two 3rd rounders and two 4th rounders we gave up for Lloyd and Duckett makes me vomit in my mouth.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:55 AM   #9
Skinsfan1967
Special Teams

:cheeky-sm Joe Gibbs Racing does some good drafting as well.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:53 PM   #10
love them hogs
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinsfan1967 View Post
:cheeky-sm Joe Gibbs Racing does some good drafting as well.
HaHaHa,now thats clever!
love them hogs is offline   Reply With Quote