Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

(Merged Thread) Greg Williams Gone After 2005?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-21-2005, 11:03 AM   #46
irish
Playmaker

Re: (Merged Thread) Greg Williams Gone After 2005?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
My gut says he stays one more year to see if he can finish what he started here.
While we understand GWs importance to the teams success I'm not sure the average fan does and any success this team does have this year will be credited to Gibbs with GW and Bugel getting mentions as helping out. So I think most people see everything realted to this team as what Gibbs started not what GW started for the simple reason Gibbs is head coach.

GW is from MO and if either of those teams offers him the head coach job he will take it to go back home.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-21-2005, 11:04 AM   #47
amorentz
Special Teams

Here is what I would like to see, and I cant think of any reason why it would be against league policies.

Snyder should sign Williams to a contract paying head coach money (lord knows he can afford it, and it has no cap effect) that explicitly states that Williams will immediately become head coach upon Gibbs' retirement (cant be more than 5 or so years down the line).

That way Williams gets to keep learning under a hall of fame coach, keep putting together his team (with an owner who will spend the money), and take over a team that is in great shape that he has 3-5 years of his fingerprints on.

Why would any party to this agreement (Williams, Snyder or Gibbs) NOT want to do this?
amorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:08 AM   #48
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorentz
Here is what I would like to see, and I cant think of any reason why it would be against league policies.

Snyder should sign Williams to a contract paying head coach money (lord knows he can afford it, and it has no cap effect) that explicitly states that Williams will immediately become head coach upon Gibbs' retirement (cant be more than 5 or so years down the line).

That way Williams gets to keep learning under a hall of fame coach, keep putting together his team (with an owner who will spend the money), and take over a team that is in great shape that he has 3-5 years of his fingerprints on.

Why would any party to this agreement (Williams, Snyder or Gibbs) NOT want to do this?
He's already being paid HC type money. Not sure what the #'s are exactly, but the word is he's very well compensated here.

As far as an agreement to take over for Gibbs that's fine and dandy, but you can't realistically expect Williams to wait another 3 years.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:09 AM   #49
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish
While we understand GWs importance to the teams success I'm not sure the average fan does and any success this team does have this year will be credited to Gibbs with GW and Bugel getting mentions as helping out. So I think most people see everything realted to this team as what Gibbs started not what GW started for the simple reason Gibbs is head coach.

GW is from MO and if either of those teams offers him the head coach job he will take it to go back home.
Like I said, just a gut feeling.

I don't think any of us know what's going to happen, only GW knows and right now I'm sure he's focused on the task at hand.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:11 AM   #50
12thMan
MVP

I think he stays for one more. After that all bets are off.

I would like to see Blache and Lindsay stay if he left, however.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:12 AM   #51
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Yeah, Matty. He's paid more than a majority of the head coaches in the league. There's going to be a point (probably in the very near future) where the organization has to decide if it's going to keep going with Gibbs or if it will hand the reins to Williams or watch him walk. No person wants to bea coordinator when the glory jobs are out there. There will be lots of teams, even some with some talent (Detroits defense could be pretty nasty under a Williams defense and a couple changes) that he could take over.

I bet he's gone after this year.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:20 AM   #52
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan
I think he stays for one more. After that all bets are off.

I would like to see Blache and Lindsay stay if he left, however.
Blache would be the logical successor to Williams and a very fine one at that... as long as GW doesn't steal him away that is. But like the Wise article in the WP said, GW probably wouldn't do that to Gibbs. But then again, it is a business so who knows.

Blache will likely be a HC in this league someday too.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:23 AM   #53
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Alot of this could depend on if we make the playoffs, and how far into the playoffs we go. If we can get to the Divisional or conference championship rounds, alot of vacancies could be filled by then. That was a big reason Charlie Wies and Romeo Cronell had to wait so long to get head coaching jobs.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:35 AM   #54
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
Yeah, Matty. He's paid more than a majority of the head coaches in the league. There's going to be a point (probably in the very near future) where the organization has to decide if it's going to keep going with Gibbs or if it will hand the reins to Williams or watch him walk. No person wants to bea coordinator when the glory jobs are out there. There will be lots of teams, even some with some talent (Detroits defense could be pretty nasty under a Williams defense and a couple changes) that he could take over.

I bet he's gone after this year.
I have a feeling the organization won't be making the decision on when Gibbs leaves his head coaching post, and would not boot 'em out for the sake of keeping GW.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:55 AM   #55
mheisig
The Starter

Re: Greg Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLNetwork
Do you guys think Greg Williams is going to leave after this year? A lot of people say he is, please tell me no!!
For the answer to your question, please use the little gray scrollbar to your right and scroll on up to read the entire damn thread.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:15 PM   #56
MTK
\m/

Re: Greg Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheisig
For the answer to your question, please use the little gray scrollbar to your right and scroll on up to read the entire damn thread.
His post was a new thread that was merged into this one.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:29 PM   #57
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

We win the Super bowl next season, Gibbs retires like Wyle E. Coyote (super-genius). GW takes the team. It has been pre-arranged and pre-ordained
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 05:06 PM   #58
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

I really hope GW stays next year.

Luckily we still have other things to worry about this year.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote