Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Tony McGee: Redskins vs. Cowboys

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-20-2005, 04:05 PM   #1
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Tony McGee: Redskins vs. Cowboys

Former NFL great Tony McGee sat down with TheWarpath.net front office Tuesday morning and answered some TheWarpath.net questions about the Redskins 35-7 win over the Dallas Cowboys. Please be sure to visit http://www.tonymcgeeplus.com and watch Tony McGee's Pro Football Plus Saturdays at 11:30 am on Comcast SportsNet and DirecTV to see Tony and his panel of guests answer "TheWarpath.net Question of the Week". This week's question is "Should We Have Rested Our Starters at the End of the Dallas Game?" Ok, let's get started with Tony's thoughts here:

Great win by the Washington Redskins this past Sunday. For 60 minutes they were clearly the better team. Offensively, I liked that the team ran often and early. When you can do that you control the game. TAFKAS, you want to know why it is that Joe Gibbs' teams are successful in December. Well that's it right there, they play hard, snot-nosed football. Run the ball and hit your opponents hard. At this time of the year, it's about what team is phyiscally dominant. Not stronger necessarily, but willing to give and absorb more punishment. Now, Matty you have some concerns about Ray Brown stepping in for Thomas. I think that Thomas was having a Pro-Bowl year but let's not forget that Ray Brown was a starter all of last season and just three years removed from being a Pro-Bowl guard. Gmanc711, I don't think the Redskins will abandon their game plan and start passing more. I saw Brown pull the other day and he did a pretty good job. He may not have the physical abilities of Thomas at this point in his career, but he's been in the NFL for 20 years so he can use that experience to his advantage. I'm really not concerned about Brown starting.

Defensively, the Redskins took advantage of inexperienced tackles. Gregg Williams presented several different looks to confuse the line. It won't be as easy next week against the Giants' 0-Line but the team needs that kind of pass rush again. And the crowd noise as you pointed out FRPLG was exceptional. As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago once the play starts the players on the field usually drown out the stadium noise. But psychologically, it's a lift to the team to have that clear sense of homefield advantage. FedEx is not quite RFK yet, but that will come with winning.

Looking ahead to next week it's simple run and stop the run. Of course, the question is how do you stop Tiki Barber. You don't. Now I'm not saying you don't stop him I'm saying you don't worry about just one player like that. All the players on defense have to play disciplined, play their gaps and don't overcompensate. If you do that then you can win. When you start to focus on just stopping Barber either you get out of position and he burns you or someone else on the Giants does.

56fan, as far as this being a one game wonder I don't believe it is. But that's a hard question to answer. I think I'd have to go back to what I told TAFKAS about the success of Gibbs' teams in December. Or any successful team for that matter. It's about physically beating your opponent down. After a big win like that you're not so worried about having a mental or emotional let down for the next game. It's more about having a physical let down. But with a Gibbs' team you shouldn't see that, simply because he preaches it so much throughout minicamp, training camp, and during the regular season.

Finally, BrudLee Gibbs does not believe in luck. But if the players believe that the white uniforms are a good luck sign, he's probably not going to stop them.

On a personal note, I want to thank all of you for letting me participate in your fan site. It's been a pleasure working with you (don't worry I'm not going anywhere). I just want to wish you and your loved ones a Merry Christmas and I'll be back to discuss the Giants game next week.

##################################################
Tony McGee's NFL career started in 1971 where he was a starting defensive end for the Chicago Bears. In 1974, Tony began a 7 year stint with the New England Patriots and earned the nickname, "Mac the Sack." His unique ability to swarm opposing quarterbacks helped coin the phrase, "designated pass rusher." Tony's career as a Washington Redskin began in 1982, and included a Super Bowl championship. Tony ended his spectacular career in 1985 with 106 career sacks and played in over 200 games -- a feat achieved only by a select group of NFL defensive linemen.
For more information visit http://www.tonymcgeeplus.com

Advertisements
Old 12-20-2005, 04:20 PM   #2
jbcjr14
The Starter

Re: Tony McGee: Redskins vs. Cowboys

Once again, thanks Tony!!!! I am sure I can speak for all here and wish you and yours a happy holiday season as well!!! GO SKINS!!!!
Old 12-20-2005, 11:25 PM   #3
MTK
\m/

Tony's feedback is something I always look forward to each week, thanks Tony and TAFKAS!
Old 12-21-2005, 12:37 AM   #4
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Just to add to what Tony McGee was saying about Gibbs stressing being physically dominant at the end of the year, this was a quote by Gregg Williams in Wednesday's Washington Post.

"Joe Gibbs wants his team to be physical," Williams said, "and you know what, every single meeting that Joe has in front of this team he talks about how we're going to win these physical battles. 'I don't care what else happens in this ballgame, we're going to be physical.' And it's nice to see us playing that way, especially at the end of the season. That's when it's time to be that way. Not to say it's not important all the time, but to be more and more and more and more physical as the year goes on, that's good."
Old 12-21-2005, 09:13 AM   #5
MTK
\m/

I love me some smashmouth football, it finally feels like an old school Joe Gibbs team again.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:37 AM   #6
scowan
The Starter

I am comforted by Tony's comments concerning Ray Brown. I was worried about our running attack this week. At least Ray is very well rested. He is physically not beat up like the rest of them. It will be fun to watch him pull on those sweeps. Go Ray Brown!!! And thanks Tony and to you TAFKAS for hosting him here.
scowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:35 PM   #7
backrow
The Starter

Scowan, I'm not comforted at all about 67 yr. old Ray Brown!

Thanks Tony, thanks TAFKAS! Great take any time!

Old 12-21-2005, 04:48 PM   #8
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

Thanks again Tony and TAFKAS.

Smashmouth footbal = Redskins football
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote