Good Outing For LaVar (merged)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-24-2005, 10:34 AM   #31
cpayne5
Playmaker

Re: Good Outing For LaVar (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG
Funny how I don't seem to remember many 'haters' of Lavar. Seemed like us so called 'haters' were simply SUPPORTERS of the coaches and you all were the 'haters'. The 'haters' of the coaches. Anyone wanna get in a discussion about whether we'd be 1-5 if Lavar had played more early on? It's just as speculative of a discussion as the told-ya-so statements that we'd be 5-1 or 6-0. Is it possible that maybe the time sitting out prepared him him to play well when he finally came in? Is it possible he'd have been a detriment prior to yesterday without the sitting out? It's all speculation so maybe we ought to lay off the told-ya-so stuff since no one can win an argument that has no possible outcome. We can't go back and find out now can we?
Well done.

Advertisements
Old 10-24-2005, 10:50 AM   #32
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Funny how I don't seem to remember many 'haters' of Lavar. Seemed like us so called 'haters' were simply SUPPORTERS of the coaches and you all were the 'haters'. The 'haters' of the coaches. Anyone wanna get in a discussion about whether we'd be 1-5 if Lavar had played more early on? It's just as speculative of a discussion as the told-ya-so statements that we'd be 5-1 or 6-0. Is it possible that maybe the time sitting out prepared him him to play well when he finally came in? Is it possible he'd have been a detriment prior to yesterday without the sitting out? It's all speculation so maybe we ought to lay off the told-ya-so stuff since no one can win an argument that has no possible outcome. We can't go back and find out now can we?
Preach on brother.

Bottom line is we're all fans of the Skins, and LaVar is undoubtedly their most popular player. I had my LaVar jersey blazin' on Friday at work and all day yesterday.

Instead of playing this silly game of 'I told you so' how about we just get back to being fans and supporting our TEAM.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:58 AM   #33
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Right. Which is what I was trying to say in the first place... :frusty:
Old 10-24-2005, 11:12 AM   #34
Southpaw
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5
Do you people even read the board?
That's funny. I didn't name anyone specifically, but since I'm being called out, here you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exoffender
With LA in the lineup we'd probably would have given up more 30+ yard TD runs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss
Lavar on the bench is really know surprise, he was the most overated player in football, except now everyone knows it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy
Funny, but for all the newly acquired Gregg Williams haters, take away those three big plays and look how solid this defense has been WITHOUT Lavar Arrington.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heybigstar
I sincerely doubt Lavar Arrington is the same player as he was before. If he cant be a better pass-rushing threat than Chris Clemons, something is seriously wrong. Gregg Williams puts on the field the players that give him the best chance of winning.
Sorry for picking on skinsguy and bigstar, because about 90% of you made this kind of comment. Theirs were just the most direct that I found. And many others masked their comments with phrases like "I like LaVar, but...", so I left those out. As I said, everyone magically forgets the comments they made dissing LaVar and his ability, but if everyone agreed on the subject, why were the LaVar threads 20 pages long?

As a side note, I could care less if anyone retracts anything they said about LaVar. I was just explaining to #56fanatic not to expect any. Although, I do think it's funny that many of the Brunell haters(myself included) were more than willing to accept that we were wrong about him, but no one wants to admit that they were the least bit wrong about LaVar.

Last edited by Southpaw; 10-24-2005 at 11:24 AM.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:25 AM   #35
LadyT
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw
That's funny. I didn't name anyone specifically, but since I'm being called out, here you go.

Sorry for picking on skinsguy and bigstar, because about 90% of you made this kind of comment. Theirs were just the most direct that I found. And many others masked their comments with phrases like "I like LaVar, but...", so I left those out. As I said, everyone magically forgets the comments they made dissing LaVar and his ability, but if everyone agreed on the subject, why were the LaVar threads 20 pages long?

As a side note, I could care less if anyone retracts anything they said about LaVar. I was just explaining to #56fanatic not to expect any. Although, I do think it's funny that many of the Brunell haters(myself included) were more than willing to accept that were were wrong about him, but no one wants to admit that they were the least bit wrong about LaVar.
Don't know if I'd go so far as to say these were all "LaVar haters" but the tone of the comments were certainly not pro-LaVar. We, who were LaVar fans, were being accused of not being true Skins fans because we dared to question the coaches. Seems to be a common theme on this board.

I also strongly criticized Gibbs for the benching of Ramsey and reinstatement of Brunell as the starter. I have since posted that Brunell has proven me wrong and I am extremely happy to admit that I was wrong and that Brunell has done so well.

LaVar proved yesterday that he is still one of their best playmakers and should have been playing all along. I can't help but believe that we would have won at least one of the games we lost, had he been in the game.

Let's hope the LaVar controversy is behind us - that is, let's hope GW doesn't make the mistake of sitting him down again.
LadyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:34 AM   #36
FRPLG
MVP

Excuse me but WTF? Generalizing the arguments is somewhat silly to do but if you're going to do it then do it correctly. I think if you looked through everything that was said (good luck that'll take you all day) the main argument was that people trusted the coaches. Not that Arrington wasn't any good. Saying 90% of us said similar things is simply untrue.

And to rebutt your rebutts.
Exoffender: I'll give you this one.
Offiss: A perrenial Arrington anti-fan. You get no points for him since he has never been a big fan.
Skinsguy: How is is this hating on Lavar?
Heybigstar: Again how is pointing out a fact bashing Lavar? He simply made a statement of opinion based on fact. He wasn't questioning Lavar's ability in general. I'll be generous and give you 1/2 a point for this one.

So roughly only 37.5% of your supporting statements actually support you in my opinion.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:44 AM   #37
FirstandTen
Special Teams

There's a difference in the Lavar saga vs the Brunell/Ramsey situation. In the Brunell/Ramsey controversy fans either sided with Brunell or Ramsey (one player or another).. In this Lavar situation fans sided with a player Lavar or the Team. Those like myself that sided with the team didn't take this opinion because we felt Lavar sucked or the Holdman was a better athlete. The reason I sided with the team/coaches is they have proven they KNOW WHAT THERE DOING!!!

For example Moss for Coles we thought they were crazy....

Brunell starting over Ramsey we thought they were crazy...

Bottom their not crazy and is why Gibbs is in the HOF.

Lavar kicked ass yesterday im happy to say. Im not rooting against him! I am rooting for the Skins and well never know if holding Lavar out was the right decision or not. Who knows maybe it was his fault for the two TD's runs on his side and GW put him back on the pine. I hope not.
FirstandTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:46 AM   #38
Southpaw
The Starter

Quote:
Skinsguy: How is is this hating on Lavar?
Heybigstar: Again how is pointing out a fact bashing Lavar? He simply made a statement of opinion based on fact. He wasn't questioning Lavar's ability in general. I'll be generous and give you 1/2 a point for this one.
I included these two because they covered the general population of people that were "coach supporters" who made comments that the defense was better off without him because the coaches said so. Not because they were LaVar bashing comments. And I'll give a lot of these people credit, because many of them began changing their tone following the two losses.

As I said, all I was trying to do was tell #56fanatic not to expect any retractions and people acted like I was retarded and everyone has always been pro LaVar, which was obviously not the case.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:47 AM   #39
#56fanatic
The Starter

It is amazing to see how the people who were not wrong about saying LaVar was overrated, trade him all that crap are still not wrong. Now instead of us LaVar fans being right about him, we are wrong for going off on the coaches for the past few weeks. It seems we are fighting a no win battle with some people. I for one will admit when I am wrong about things, as I was about the Brunell thing(fortunately I was not on here when that was going on). I was, and still am, a fan of Ramsey. I was adimit about him playing last year, and was on the wagon "Brunell sucks, get rid of him" but HE has proven me wrong, along with alot of Ramsey fans. I wish I had to time to go back and find all the crap that was said about my rants regarding LaVar and repost the negative things that came back to me. Boy, how things change after one week. Granted this was one game, and against a weak team, but Holdman still played the majority of the D snaps and I haven't looked at his stats, but no where near LaVars. thats OK LaVar fans, we all know who has been supporting our #56!!
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:47 AM   #40
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyT
Don't know if I'd go so far as to say these were all "LaVar haters" but the tone of the comments were certainly not pro-LaVar. We, who were LaVar fans, were being accused of not being true Skins fans because we dared to question the coaches. Seems to be a common theme on this board.
You're probably right. It is a strong theme around this board to support the coaches and the team rather than individual players. And there is nothing wrong with questioning coaches as long as you can at least admit that you have very little idea what the heck you're talking about. The biggest issues are that many people question moves by the coaches based on what seems like mostly emotion and can't admit that maybe Gibbs and co. know a smidge more about this team and how to win football games in general a lot more than any of us. I am not talking specifically about you or anyone actually but just a general type of person who seem to always gripe about moves based on liking players rather than the team first.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:53 AM   #41
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstandTen
There's a difference in the Lavar saga vs the Brunell/Ramsey situation. In the Brunell/Ramsey controversy fans either sided with Brunell or Ramsey (one player or another).. In this Lavar situation fans sided with a player Lavar or the Team. Those like myself that sided with the team didn't take this opinion because we felt Lavar sucked or the Holdman was a better athlete. The reason I sided with the team/coaches is they have proven they KNOW WHAT THERE DOING!!!

For example Moss for Coles we thought they were crazy....

Brunell starting over Ramsey we thought they were crazy...

Bottom their not crazy and is why Gibbs is in the HOF.

Lavar kicked ass yesterday im happy to say. Im not rooting against him! I am rooting for the Skins and well never know if holding Lavar out was the right decision or not. Who knows maybe it was his fault for the two TD's runs on his side and GW put him back on the pine. I hope not.
I think it could also be said that with the Brunell situation, people were choosing to side with the team in the decision to start Brunell over Ramsey. I know that's the perspective I was coming from. I trust that this staff is doing everything in the best interest of the TEAM, and all this individual player BS that we as fans get all riled up about is meaningless to them. It's about the team, that's why GW had the stones to sit down his star LB, and that's why Gibbs had the stones to yank Ramsey so quickly and go back to Brunell.

In both situations, many fans were very vocal in their disapproval, and in both situations many people questioned the character and integrity of the coaches, which to me is absolutely absurd.

There's nothing wrong with questioning the decision making process, but what I have a problem with is when fans get personal and bring into question the coaches' character & integrity. To me that's just crossing the line and is completely unnecessary.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 06:37 PM   #42
wolfeskins
The Starter

it's about damn time they let lavar play, he proved ,ONCE AGAIN, that he is the BEST linebacker on the team.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:00 AM   #43
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic
It is amazing to see how the people who were not wrong about saying LaVar was overrated, trade him all that crap are still not wrong. Now instead of us LaVar fans being right about him, we are wrong for going off on the coaches for the past few weeks. It seems we are fighting a no win battle with some people. I for one will admit when I am wrong about things, as I was about the Brunell thing(fortunately I was not on here when that was going on). I was, and still am, a fan of Ramsey. I was adimit about him playing last year, and was on the wagon "Brunell sucks, get rid of him" but HE has proven me wrong, along with alot of Ramsey fans. I wish I had to time to go back and find all the crap that was said about my rants regarding LaVar and repost the negative things that came back to me. Boy, how things change after one week. Granted this was one game, and against a weak team, but Holdman still played the majority of the D snaps and I haven't looked at his stats, but no where near LaVars. thats OK LaVar fans, we all know who has been supporting our #56!!
what's amazing is the people trying to cram i told you so's down the throats of people who already knew lavar was a good player and should probably be playing. The general sentiment among most regulars here was that lavar could help, but GW must have some kind of clue, to which a bunch of new posters chimed in with how much they hated GW and how awful he was or some other nonsense.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:52 PM   #44
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

Lavar will be on 980 at 4
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote