Skins beat down of the Broncos

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-26-2017, 09:06 PM   #31
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Skins beat down of the Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
I swear some of us would have wanted Brady gone after the first half of this year's SB if he was playing for the Skins
Brady threw a pick six in the Super Bowl, and he also threw another one to the Bills on Sunday. Even the best slip up from time to time.

S/N people forget that Kirk being the highest paid qb is a thing that will literally only last until the next good qb gets paid. It's a revolving door of "highest paid qb in the NFL."

Advertisements
Old 12-27-2017, 12:18 AM   #32
HTTR
Impact Rookie

If Kirk leaves, we will once again find ourselves in chaos from top to bottom; all except for the owner, of course and maybe his yes-man. Odds of ending up with a better QB in 2 or 3 years I would optimistically put at 1 in 4.

And I disagree that Cousins can never get better. He was much better this year moving around in the pocket, extending plays, speeding up progressions. Better, but still with room for improvement.

The culture in Ashburn needs to keep improving as well, but it never will if you don't establish leaders and build an identity around them.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:43 AM   #33
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTR View Post
If Kirk leaves, we will once again find ourselves in chaos from top to bottom; all except for the owner, of course and maybe his yes-man. Odds of ending up with a better QB in 2 or 3 years I would optimistically put at 1 in 4.

And I disagree that Cousins can never get better. He was much better this year moving around in the pocket, extending plays, speeding up progressions. Better, but still with room for improvement.

The culture in Ashburn needs to keep improving as well, but it never will if you don't establish leaders and build an identity around them.
Yeah, exactly. The one major improvement Kirk made this year was using his legs to extend plays and find open receivers, rather than committing to the run as soon as the pocket broke down. Yet somehow he's apparently reached his ceiling.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:47 AM   #34
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Brady threw a pick six in the Super Bowl, and he also threw another one to the Bills on Sunday. Even the best slip up from time to time.

S/N people forget that Kirk being the highest paid qb is a thing that will literally only last until the next good qb gets paid. It's a revolving door of "highest paid qb in the NFL."
Exactly, that's my point.
Once a QB is perceived as top 5, when he has a bad game we think "Hey, even the great ones have bad games", but each time Cousins throws a bad ball it's "See?! He'll never get there!".

Not saying Cousins is top 5, not saying every body here being critical of KC thinks like that.
I just think we give too much meaning to each game/each play, we need to look at the big picture.

KC just threw 300 yards and 3 TDs on one of the best defenses (and secondaries) in the NFL, with no true #1 WR, no running game and a depleted offensive line.
I can live with one bad read, especially when he's been asked to take some shots!
Old 12-27-2017, 10:39 AM   #35
over the mountain
Playmaker

Majority of Skins have a consensus on Cousins. He is in the 10-12 range as a QB. He is good at making reads, good accuracy, durable. He is a pocket passer. He isnt #1 in any given trait (accuracy, pocket presence, arm strength etc) but he is top 10 range in most.

Biggest knock on Cousins is that if he sees a short or medium route open he seems to take the yards and miss or turn down the longer route that is also open. That and he is not physically able to shrug off contact like Big Ben, Cam, Wentz (but only a few can).

I want Kirk signed but an resigned that he wont.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:36 PM   #36
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Cousins would be a lot better with better teammates. Wherever he ends up.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:01 PM   #37
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:

Totally agree with the above posts, Kirk has improved by leaps and bounds in extending plays and using his speed. He is faster than he looks.

Another big difference in his game is having the balls to throw the ball into tight windows, especially in the redzone. Our redzone efficiency is up this year and our running game isn't, so do the math.

But throwing ballsy passes mean more interceptions. I have no problem with a more ballsy Kirk.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:04 PM   #38
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post
Totally agree with the above posts, Kirk has improved by leaps and bounds in extending plays and using his speed. He is faster than he looks.

Another big difference in his game is having the balls to throw the ball into tight windows, especially in the redzone. Our redzone efficiency is up this year and our running game isn't, so do the math.

But throwing ballsy passes mean more interceptions. I have no problem with a more ballsy Kirk.
As long as it isn't 2014 ballsy Kirk, I'm cool with it. That guy was just winging it, if you haven't seen improvement from then to now I can't help you.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:27 AM   #39
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Quote:
As long as it isn't 2014 ballsy Kirk, I'm cool with it. That guy was just winging it, if you haven't seen improvement from then to now I can't help you.
It's disappointing that Kirk has given Doctson more tight window opportunities, and Josh isn't coming down with contested balls. Worse yet, he looks more concerned about taking a big hit than just catching the damn ball. I can count at least 4 drops that #18 has had in the end zone this season. Regardless of who is QB next year, Doctson needs to raise his game. I long for a badass like Garcon on the WR corps.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:23 PM   #40
MTK
\m/

Doctson definitely needs to come up with more tough catches next year. For all the hype about him catching everything in practice he sure seems to drop a lot of balls he should come up with.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:40 PM   #41
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Doctson definitely needs to come up with more tough catches next year. For all the hype about him catching everything in practice he sure seems to drop a lot of balls he should come up with.
Yeah I agree too, there are some plays where it looks like the db bearing down on him causes him to lose focus and make the catch.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:43 AM   #42
DYoungJelly
The Starter

I know it is just one play, but I was watching the Broncos game again. About 11 min to go in the 2nd quarter, there is a power running play to the right where Sprinkle and Paul actually make their blocks, Moses and Roullier pull, and it is a gain of 10 yards.

The more I think about it, the more I believe having TEs who can legitimately block and occasionally catch a pass in the flat or sit down in a zone for a 6 yard gain is just as valuable as having an exotic sports car like Reed.

I like Jay and believe he is a good enough coach to keep. I do think he is stubborn. He keeps relying on TEs to execute blocks in the running game.

If he is going to keep calling the plays that rely on TE blocking, wouldn't it make sense to have TEs who can block.

Anyway, check it it out if you have time. A beautifully executed play where nobody is special or all world, everybody just does their job.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:23 AM   #43
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post
I know it is just one play, but I was watching the Broncos game again. About 11 min to go in the 2nd quarter, there is a power running play to the right where Sprinkle and Paul actually make their blocks, Moses and Roullier pull, and it is a gain of 10 yards.

The more I think about it, the more I believe having TEs who can legitimately block and occasionally catch a pass in the flat or sit down in a zone for a 6 yard gain is just as valuable as having an exotic sports car like Reed.

I like Jay and believe he is a good enough coach to keep. I do think he is stubborn. He keeps relying on TEs to execute blocks in the running game.

If he is going to keep calling the plays that rely on TE blocking, wouldn't it make sense to have TEs who can block.

Anyway, check it it out if you have time. A beautifully executed play where nobody is special or all world, everybody just does their job.
Don't remember about this specific play but all year long our TEs have been unable to make their blocks.
I watched the all 22 tape of the ne @ pit game... Gronk is a really really good blocker. It changes a lot.
Cooley has been saying all season our biggest problem in the run game has been poor blocking by our TEs.

Envoyé de mon SM-J320FN en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2017, 11:48 AM   #44
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Don't remember about this specific play but all year long our TEs have been unable to make their blocks.
I watched the all 22 tape of the ne @ pit game... Gronk is a really really good blocker. It changes a lot.
Cooley has been saying all season our biggest problem in the run game has been poor blocking by our TEs.

Envoyé de mon SM-J320FN en utilisant Tapatalk
Does anyone know if our TE's get blocking coaching from Callahan, or they just work with the TE coaches.

It seems crazy that Callahan couldn't get Reed's blocking up from where it is.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:47 PM   #45
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Does anyone know if our TE's get blocking coaching from Callahan, or they just work with the TE coaches.

It seems crazy that Callahan couldn't get Reed's blocking up from where it is.
Good question.

At this point you have to question their will to block on top of their blocking technique...