Rogain

Parking Lot

Old 04-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #31
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: Rogain

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Just wait for Obama care this will get covered some day under his plan.
I want a free vasectomy.

Advertisements
Old 04-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #32
mlmpetert
Playmaker

I was in an accident that required 2 reconstructive surgeries on my face and temple. In order to minimize the incisions on the face the surgeons made incisions in my hairline. I have one going from the bottom of my ear lobe to over the top of my head so they could pull my face back a little. I also have one that goes almost perpendicular to it on my temple. When the doctors went over what they were doing they told me i have to take propecia for the rest of my life…..

Ive looked into this stuff pretty good and this would be my recommendation. Don’t do rogain, at least to start off with. Rogain acts like a fertilizer or steroid of sorts for hair. It doesn’t actually prevent or stop balding, rather it just stimulates hair and makes it grow. So at some point it will wear off, simply because you wont have any hair follicles to stimulate. Youre purely delaying the inevitable.

Propecia actually stops what causes male balding, dht. By preventing your body from building up dht it stops the killing of hair follicles. Theres also Advodart which does the same thing as Propecia but only better. From everything ive heard the most effective course of action is to get on a pill first to prevent balding and only use rogain as a supplement if you need to in later years. However starting early is the most important part, as theres nothing out there that will really regrow hair, most things just prevent more loss.

Whats funny about rogain, propecia, avodart and anything else out there is that they were all discovered completely accidental. They don’t even really know what causes baldness, they think in most cases its dht but no one really knows for sure.

My suggestion would be to skip the rogain and try and get on propecia or avodart if you have insurance. Ask your doctor for finsteride (generic propecia) which is 10x cheaper. Avodart is expensive and is only available as a name brand and probably will be for some time. I think the sexual side effects are more for old timers. I havent noticed a thing, and I don’t think younger people will because of how much testosterone we have.

My plan is to take avodart or propecia for as long as I need to, with the hope that in 10-20 years from now they’ll discover a cure for balding. I mean 50+ percent of US males go bald??? That’s 25% of our population. The economics to find a cure is waaaaayyy to strong for it not to happen, well, unless you know we get socialized healthcare.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #33
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
I was in an accident that required 2 reconstructive surgeries on my face and temple. In order to minimize the incisions on the face the surgeons made incisions in my hairline. I have one going from the bottom of my ear lobe to over the top of my head so they could pull my face back a little. I also have one that goes almost perpendicular to it on my temple. When the doctors went over what they were doing they told me i have to take propecia for the rest of my life…..

Ive looked into this stuff pretty good and this would be my recommendation. Don’t do rogain, at least to start off with. Rogain acts like a fertilizer or steroid of sorts for hair. It doesn’t actually prevent or stop balding, rather it just stimulates hair and makes it grow. So at some point it will wear off, simply because you wont have any hair follicles to stimulate. Youre purely delaying the inevitable.

Propecia actually stops what causes male balding, dht. By preventing your body from building up dht it stops the killing of hair follicles. Theres also Advodart which does the same thing as Propecia but only better. From everything ive heard the most effective course of action is to get on a pill first to prevent balding and only use rogain as a supplement if you need to in later years. However starting early is the most important part, as theres nothing out there that will really regrow hair, most things just prevent more loss.

Whats funny about rogain, propecia, avodart and anything else out there is that they were all discovered completely accidental. They don’t even really know what causes baldness, they think in most cases its dht but no one really knows for sure.

My suggestion would be to skip the rogain and try and get on propecia or avodart if you have insurance. Ask your doctor for finsteride (generic propecia) which is 10x cheaper. Avodart is expensive and is only available as a name brand and probably will be for some time. I think the sexual side effects are more for old timers. I havent noticed a thing, and I don’t think younger people will because of how much testosterone we have.

My plan is to take avodart or propecia for as long as I need to, with the hope that in 10-20 years from now they’ll discover a cure for balding. I mean 50+ percent of US males go bald??? That’s 25% of our population. The economics to find a cure is waaaaayyy to strong for it not to happen, well, unless you know we get socialized healthcare.
When I frst started to notice that my hair line was receeding, I got on propecia. One of the side affects can be loss of libido- and I had that side affect big time. Like couldn't even get it up sometimes. And shortly after stopping the propecia I was back to normal sexually. So yeah, I'd rather be bald and viril than have a full head of hair and be, well, you know, limpy.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #34
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
The economics to find a cure is waaaaayyy to strong for it not to happen, well, unless you know we get socialized healthcare.

Then we'll all look British.

Crazy surgery story. Glad you've recovered from that.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #35
MTK
\m/

Quote:

They appear to be a lot closer than 10-20 years

BBC News - Clue to male baldness discovered
Old 04-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #36
firstdown
Living Legend

How come we gain what we don't want and lose what we want.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #37
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

You can have some of my hair.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #38
mlmpetert
Playmaker

@ GM - i guess it adjust depends on the person then. I assumed younger people wernt as likely to be affected.

@ Monkey/buster - Definitely a scary thought.

I look completely normal but whats funny is my surgery side has become my "good side". My muscle control on the surgery side isnt as good as the other side, and smiling real big or winking all the way on the one side of my face is kind of hard. I thnik the restricted movement may have had a similar effect as botox.

@ Matty - i sure as hell hope so. Propecia and Avodart were originally created for BPH (when you’re going problem becomes a growing problem). One of the side effects was that these drugs also stopped hair loss and regrew hair. Minoxidil (rogain) was discovered in the same manner. Theres also nizoral that was made for dandruff but happened to regrow hair. Its really amazing that no one can figure it out, but people keep stumbling on stuff. Hopefully that article is right.

@ Skinsfan - Ill add another reason i wouldnt use rogain. Its a liquid you have to put on your head and leave in. Think about that. Its a lot of work, its probably messy and you probably cant have white pillow cases or sheets, its just nasty sounding.

The vast majority of doctors will prescribe a guy propecia without issue. He (if youre going to a female doctor that’s your first mistake) may ask if you’ve tried rogain, if so say yes but youre allergic to one of the ingredients or that it makes you break out or that you don’t like putting grease on your head every day. If you say no he will probably say try rogain first and see me again in a month or 2 (you know he gets paid each visit, right?).

If cost is an issue think about being ugly, lonely AND bald for the rest of your life, albeit with a few extra dollars, or just ask for generic finasteride (probably even cheaper than rogain). If your doctor wont let you take a 5mg pill of generic finasteride daily, you can break it easy into thirds to appease him. However, if you live with any female that could get pregnant, even if by accident, id highly advise against this as finasteride is known to cause birth defects. Splitting pills can create dust and stuff, and while it may be very unlikely, its definitely not worth taking any chance whatsoever on.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #39
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
@ Monkey - Definitely a scary thought.
What, me getting a vasectomy? I know...
Old 04-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #40
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
They appear to be a lot closer than 10-20 years

BBC News - Clue to male baldness discovered
If they could discover a cure for baldness and going gray, then that would be most awesome!
Old 04-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #41
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Gray is easy to fix.

Going bald and impotence would be a better combo.