Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Skip Bayless - "White fans will root for Cousins"

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Skip Bayless - "White fans will root for Cousins"

Just wanted to give a BIG F you to Skippy. How this guy is even considered a journalist is beyond me. He should be ashamed of himself.

Skip Bayless on RG3: ‘I’m for the black guy.’ Nobody: ‘I’m for Skip Bayless.’ | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo! Sports

""I'm going to throw it out there," Bayless continued. "You also have the black/white dynamic and the majority of Redskins fans are white and it's just human nature if you're white to root for the white guy. It just happens in sports. Just like the black community will root for the black quarterback."

Last time I checked Redskins fans were a very diverse bunch who couldn't give a $hit if the QB was green....as long as he's the best guy to help the team win.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.

Advertisements
Old 08-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
IrMitchell
Impact Rookie

Re: Skip Bayless - "White fans will root for Cousins"

One of the most delusional/off base things I have ever seen an analyst say.

This is truly LOL worthy.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
MTK
\m/

Best to just ignore Skippy. He's not even worth getting upset over.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Shouldn't have said in April, shouldn't have said again yesterday. He's right that the majority of Redskins fans are white...if this was 1970. Times have changed.

Either way, it's irrelevant. He's a huge RG3 fan and feels the Redskins should not have drafted Kirk Cousins (who he thinks is better than RG3 at the moment because he's more pro ready).
Old 08-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
vallin21
The Starter

Bayless is nothing more than an antagonizer who stirs up controversy when there's none... As mentioned, our fan base is pretty diverse (Whites, Blacks, Latinos, etc.) so it's just a ridiculous claim to make about our fanbase without having any factual evidence.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

As someone who knows Skip personally (I mean we're not best buds or anything) and has spoken to him a few times, my thoughts are he's fiercely loyal to those he feels close to, he can come across as an ass to those not in his inner circle, he's not racist in the slightest, he's very stubborn, he can provide you 19 minutes of well thought out, insightful conversation on a variety of topics (not limited to sports), then in the 20th minute gives you a "what the ****??" comment. He, and others, are victims/culprits of an unfortunate downward trend in the quality of what First Take could be (but it gets people to watch).
Old 08-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

F U C K Skip Bayless

He Gets Us
Old 08-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
As someone who knows Skip personally (I mean we're not best buds or anything) and has spoken to him a few times, my thoughts are he's fiercely loyal to those he feels close to, he can come across as an ass to those not in his inner circle, he's not racist in the slightest, he's very stubborn, he can provide you 19 minutes of well thought out, insightful conversation on a variety of topics (not limited to sports), then in the 20th minute gives you a "what the ****??" comment. He, and others, are victims/culprits of an unfortunate downward trend in the quality of what First Take could be (but it gets people to watch).
Great points. I know you and Matty are right, best to ignore this clown.....I guess Bayless got me. I read his comments and took a few minutes to respond.

He certainly has no knowledge in evaluating QBs if he thinks Cousins is more NFL ready than RG3. He's the same guy that still thinks Tebow is "one of the best deep throwers in football" and "he'd take Tebow over Aaron Rodgers in a one game scenario."
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #9
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Best to just ignore Skippy. He's not even worth getting upset over.
This. By starting a thread and inciting discussion about his insane thoughts, we are just giving him what he wants.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Skip Bayless' brain at work.

"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 08-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #11
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I have only seen him a couple times b/c the few times I have watched him he just rubs me the wrong way. I get that he's playing a part but that part is particularly annoying to me. As long as it generates publicity and interest in the show, however, sponsors will continue to pay for him to make dumb comments. If you want intelligent commentary, ignore the dumb ass commentary.

Just another dumb comment. Move along, nothing to see here. Don't feed the attention hound.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #12
sandtrapjack
The Starter

I would not be surprised if the powers that be at ESPN have something to say about these comments. I saw the show and the exchange between Bayless and Stephen A (there's a match made in heaven, two of the biggest mouths in sports).

What Bayless said was both shocking and idiotic to me.

If he were fired from ESPN, he would not be as missed.

Bayless has crossed that line between analyst and controversy. He's now known more for making these type of comments then he is as an analyst.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Great points. I know you and Matty are right, best to ignore this clown.....I guess Bayless got me. I read his comments and took a few minutes to respond.

He certainly has no knowledge in evaluating QBs if he thinks Cousins is more NFL ready than RG3. He's the same guy that still thinks Tebow is "one of the best deep throwers in football" and "he'd take Tebow over Aaron Rodgers in a one game scenario."
His argument for Cousins is he's been playing in a pro-set, under center offense for several years now that he'd likely have more instant success than Griffin. But his upside isn't anything to write home about.

My somewhat educated guess is that Skip won't last past his current contract.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #14
Monkeydad
Living Legend

ESPN stirring the race pot once again. They're becoming more of a tabloid than credible sports news source.

I'm white, in fact, Irish descent and I'm rooting for RGIII.

I tried listening to ESPN radio this morning while my normal sports station was on commercial break. Mike and Mike were doing their "two-a-days" and Dallas was up. Mike Golic was saying their Super Bowl window is still wide open and Tony Romois one of the best QBs in the NFL, and the Cowboys' playoff struggles were not his fault. He said none of Dallas' problems are Romo's fault. They should contend for a Super Bowl this season.

Oh really? Witten might have surgery on his spleen and miss a lot of time. Dez Bryant and Miles Austin are struggling with injuries in the preseason and they lost Larent Robinson to the Jags as well as their backup TE to Witten to the Giants. Who is Romo going to throw to?

The whole network is a joke. Now I remember why I stopped listening to them. If they're not talking about Tebow, it's worshipping Dallas or New England or trying to manufacture a controversy like this racial divide.

Some days, we're treated to Mike Greenberg's fashion lectures or tales of his times at the Wiggles and Justin Beiber concerts he'd "taken his kids to".

Last edited by Monkeydad; 08-21-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #15
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

It's Skip's comments, not reflective of all of ESPN.