Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

2013 PFF Offensive Line Rankings

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-13-2014, 10:44 PM   #1
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

2013 PFF Offensive Line Rankings

Our line was much better than what people gave them credit for.

3. Washington Redskins (16th)
PB: 4th, RB: 8th, PEN: 3rd

Stud: An All-Pro-(or at least second team)-like performance from Trent Williams (+38.3). He has moments that make you smack your head, but by and large he’ll slow down elite pass rushers and has the kind of athleticism that generates movement whatever scheme you’re running.

Dud: Too many bad days for Chris Chester (-5.5) who continues to baffle with his streaky play.

Analysis: This ranking won’t please many Redskins fans who see the line as the route of their problems. The truth is the Shanahans had the zone blocking scheme working perfectly with there regularly huge cutback lanes for their backs to work with. Much is made of the hits Robert Griffin III took as if every single one of them must be the responsibility of the line. Well RG3 himself was charged with 10 of those sacks (more than any other player on the team) as the team gave whoever was quarterback ample time to get the job done. The big question now is what Jay Gruden intends for this line and whether he’ll move to a more power based scheme that could put a number of jobs on the line.

Your QBs (both of them) can't hold the ball as long as they did and not expect to get sacked. Robert and Kirk were responsible for a good deal of those sacks this year and I'm not the only one that noticed this.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-13-2014, 10:47 PM   #2
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

We have a top 3 LT and usually that means u have a solid line to begin with. Thanks for the stat
Old 01-14-2014, 01:37 AM   #3
Bucket
Playmaker

Re: 2013 PFF Offensive Line Rankings

Yeah, running 2 WR routes didn't have anything to do with holding the ball to long either.

A lot more involved in holding the ball then just the QB. Not saying they didn't. Just saying it wasn't always them.
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:45 AM   #4
donofriose
The Starter

QB sucked
WRs as a whole sucker
OL sucked.

Team is 3-13.
donofriose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #5
WillH
The Starter

I'm sorry, I don't buy it. I mean I agree that fG3 held the ball too long on some plays, but more often then not the pocket would collapse immediately, or never form at all.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:57 AM   #6
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
Yeah, running 2 WR routes didn't have anything to do with holding the ball to long either.

A lot more involved in holding the ball then just the QB. Not saying they didn't. Just saying it wasn't always them.

..or a QB that scanned only 1/2 of the field. Some professionals analyzed game tape, and even cooley said this about him.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 01-14-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Rankings or not the Oline never seemed in unison working as a group. Seemed like a serious lack of chemistry, so aside from the individual rankings, as a whole they struggled especially in pass protection.

Polumbus and Chester need to go now. I think Monty's time at center should be up as well.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:10 AM   #8
jamf
Pro Bowl

what a bullshit ranking.

The Redskins did everything they can scheme wise to limit Oline problems by pretty much only using 3 step drops and 2 WR routes and leaving 7 to block.

If this line was really a top ranked line, the QB would take 7 step drops which would let the WR's get down feel and create lanes for big plays. You don't get big plays from quick dump passes and it shows.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #9
Ruhskins
Living Legend

At the end of the day, it seemed that no defense respected this line and RG3 didn't trust it. I'm sure RG3 and Cousins were guilty of a number of sacks, but it is hard to consider them a top ranked o-line when you constantly saw just about every lineman (except TW) get bulldozed by the opponent's d-line.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #10
mredskins
Gamebreaker

It is going tbe interesting to see if Alfmo is good because of Alfmo or MS's zone blocking next year.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #11
MTK
\m/

Gruden likes zone schemes too, but he favors the inside zone running. Morris should be fine.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:39 AM   #12
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Gruden likes zone schemes too, but he favors the inside zone running. Morris should be fine.

That said. Our interior line is in need of a huge upgrade. (and RT)
Old 01-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #13
Monkeydad
Living Legend

RGIII and Cousins were sacked 43 times. Tannehill was sacked 58 times, Flacco 48 and then a ton of guys in the 38-44 range, so we're near the top league in QB sacks our two QBs combined. Our QBs were hit 95 times, good for 10th in the league even with a mobile QB. (Browns led league with 121 QB hits)

I think Alfred Morris is really throwing this grade of our O-line off. The right side of our line was a revolving door in pass protection.

Look how many screen passes our offense threw. Whether it was out of planning or necessity because of the lack of pass protection, the QBs did not hold onto the ball long on those plays, which seemed to be a staple of our offense. With Garcon's ability to turn a screen into a big play, it's not a bad thing but there were times where we'd run multiple screens in a row.

Kyle Shanahan's playcalling...good riddance.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #14
SirLK26
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
I'm sorry, I don't buy it. I mean I agree that fG3 held the ball too long on some plays, but more often then not the pocket would collapse immediately, or never form at all.
Exactly. The left side is solid, thanks to Williams. But the right side of the line never formed into a pocket, thanks to Chester and Polumbus. Does anyone have that GIF of Polumbus backing up as soon as the ball is snapped?

Breaking Down What Makes Tyler Polumbus the NFL's Worst Starter | Bleacher Report
SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #15
Evilgrin
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
what a bullshit ranking.

The Redskins did everything they can scheme wise to limit Oline problems by pretty much only using 3 step drops and 2 WR routes and leaving 7 to block.

If this line was really a top ranked line, the QB would take 7 step drops which would let the WR's get down feel and create lanes for big plays. You don't get big plays from quick dump passes and it shows.
Agreed, you have to be real careful with PFF rankings sometimes. I generally agree with the way they grade players though. Scheme, pistol, alot of things were done, but the line was never meant for pass pro. The interior is the problem, the edges of the line are elite or good enough. They should sacrifice some mobility and go for more size and strength IMO. I doubt it affects Morris at all, he is great with contact anyways. The other thing is we struggle blocking outside of the pocket area, WRs and TEs this year. As we've seen on film, one missed blocked from a WR or TE can ruin a play. The assignments get so complicated, and that is another knock on Shanahan, too much thinking.

Redskins #2 In Revenue Per Year!
Evilgrin is offline   Reply With Quote