Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The Redskins Head Coach job is the best opening available

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
44Deezel
The Starter

The Redskins Head Coach job is the best opening available

Any team firing their head coach today or in the near future is doing so because they had a bad season. While it would be nice to coach Tom Brady and the Patriots or Drew Brees and the Saints, those jobs aren’t opening up anytime soon. And while 3-13 is horrible and inexcusable, it’s never as bad as it seems (or never as good for that matter)

That said, there is no ideal situation to walk into, but I believe the Redskins job is the best of the bad situations and here’s why:

1) The QB situation – This is entirely contingent on what the new coach thinks of RG3, but any coach who thinks he has the potential to become an elite QB has to be salivating over this job. Teams with elite QBs contend just about every year and can withstand injury and Legal issues (Aaron Hernandez). Behind most Hall of Fame coaches is a Hall of Fame QB. There’s a reason why the list of coaches to win Super Bowls with multiple QBs is as short as it is with Coach Joe squarely at the top

2) Roster – The notion that this roster needs to be totally rebuilt is false (IMO). The same roster won the division just a year ago AND even the best teams in the league are flawed in one or more areas. We’re in an era where recent Super Bowl winning teams had Defenses that ranked near the bottom of the league. The Giants and Pats squared off a few years ago when both Defensive units ranked near the bottom. Pro-bowl caliber players on the roster today – TW, RG3, DY, Garcon, ALFMO, DHall, Orakpo (might be gone), Kerrigan. The 2009 team had 55 players that weren’t in the league a year later. That’s not near the case with this team and there is a foundation on which to build upon.

3) The young Offensive nucleus – 2012 Rookie of the Year at QB, 1600 yard rusher in Alfmo, the league leader in receptions in Garcon, one of the best Left Tackles in the NFL in Trent Williams, Jordan Reed and DY would be coveted by any team. #1 rushing attack last year and top 5 this year. Top 5Offense from last year.

4) The BEST Salary CAP situation in the NFC. The Bears is a little better, but they may have to shell out for Cutler.

5) Team friendly contracts – Say what you want about Shanny and Bruce Allen, but they haven’t hamstrung the organization with egregious contracts that will adversely impact the team for years to come.

6) MONEY - Most fans would point to Snyder as the #1 reason NOT to come here, but he will spend on coaches.

7) The Skins will be playing a last place schedule next year. Only 2 games, but everything helps.

8) The Skins play in the worst division in the league with 2 of the 4 team's starting QBs at the tail end of their careers and one coming off back surgery.

9) The DC area and fanbase. The Redskins are one of the most valuable sports franchises IN THE WORLD. This ain't Jacksonville or some city that has to compete with baseball or basketball. The Redskins are the king of DC sports and it's not even close. You win here and you're a GOD.

10) The Alternatives – Cleveland just fired their coach after 1 year, Houston, Tampa and Minnesota have huge question marks at QB. Detroit is intriguing and may be our stiffest competition, but they’ve been as bad as us over the last 20 years.

Advertisements
Old 12-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Re: The Redskins Head Coach job is the best opening available

On paper, it's probably the best.

But taking the media circus into consideration and how the last HC spent the last half of the season throwing the owner and practically the organization under the bus, I think it's probably the worst.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
On paper, it's probably the best.

But taking the media circus into consideration and how the last HC spent the last half of the season throwing the owner and practically the organization under the bus, I think it's probably the worst.
I'm not sure that that matters all that much because a new regime should confidently know that it can set a new tone. I'm thinking here of the trainwreck Vick/Petrino Falcons, who had a disaster season full of drama which was wiped clean pretty quickly by the new admin.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
donofriose
The Starter

I think Houston will be more coveted by coaches.
Both Washington and Houston had QBs who made the pro bowl in 2012 and won their division. They both played terribly this year so RG3 is not a for sure thing at QB that coaches would want to come here for. Plus Houston has the number one pick if a coach wants to draft his own guy and develop him. That would be very attractive to a lot of coaches.
donofriose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
MTK
\m/

There are a couple of jobs out there more desirable than this one.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I would agree. It's not Minnesota but it's just not what it use to be around here.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

I think the Redskins are the fourth most attractive option:
1. Houston-Playmakers on both sides of the ball, strong leadership/front office, #1 pick. A QB away from being a playoff team again.

2. Detroit-Again, playmakers on both sides of the ball, strong GM, strong OL & DL, young QB who has been successful.

3. Tampa-Talented roster but unclear if it 'fits' cohesively to make a team. May have a QB, tough division.

4. Washington-QB, LT, RB, WR, TE in place. Defensively, basically have some good spare parts but not enough to even field a unit. Major FO/ownership questions.

5. Cleveland-Some talent on both sides of the ball, specifically WR, TE, CB & S. 2 1st round picks. No faith in FO/ownership, disgruntled fan base.

6. Minnesota-Aging defense, Peterson for a couple more good years, weapons with speed but playing at a college stadium/outdoors in Minnesota for 2 yrs may not be a good fit.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
I think the Redskins are the fourth most attractive option:
1. Houston-Playmakers on both sides of the ball, strong leadership/front office, #1 pick. A QB away from being a playoff team again.

2. Detroit-Again, playmakers on both sides of the ball, strong GM, strong OL & DL, young QB who has been successful.

3. Tampa-Talented roster but unclear if it 'fits' cohesively to make a team. May have a QB, tough division.

4. Washington-QB, LT, RB, WR, TE in place. Defensively, basically have some good spare parts but not enough to even field a unit. Major FO/ownership questions.

5. Cleveland-Some talent on both sides of the ball, specifically WR, TE, CB & S. 2 1st round picks. No faith in FO/ownership, disgruntled fan base.

6. Minnesota-Aging defense, Peterson for a couple more good years, weapons with speed but playing at a college stadium/outdoors in Minnesota for 2 yrs may not be a good fit.
I would put this job above TB but below Houston and Detroit. The Glazier family sure do turn on coaches quickly.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #9
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I would put this job above TB but below Houston and Detroit. The Glazier family sure do turn on coaches quickly.
Yeah, it's really close IMO between us and Tampa.. No 1st round pick was the difference to bump us down one for me.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #10
donofriose
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
That is how I would have it ranked as well.

The front office situation at Washington for the past two decades makes it more difficult for a coach to come in and think he will have the tools to be successful.
donofriose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:35 PM   #11
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

We are the 2nd or 3rd best jobs in the league. The Lions have a culture problem. A head coach can fix that and I believe they have pending cap issues.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Great thread. Houston is probably as desirable as DC, but not by much. That team has less talent on offense IMO, but more on defense.

The Lions are the most talented team looking for a new HC but have a really lousy cap situation and play in a damn tough division with the Packers and a Bears team that probably gets better next year.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #13
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

IMO, the only job I have ranked below the Skins is Cleveland. Houston and Detroit have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball and aren't too far away from running deep into the playoffs. Minny and Tampa run next talent wise, and do not have the circus atmosphere that Washington has. Plus they both have their first round picks in the coming draft.

This Skins team has to undergo a lot of turnover in order to compete and ship their #2 pick to St. Louis. Granted there are some key pieces, but the turmoil of the last several weeks plus Snyder's track record really hurts anyone willing to come here.

And I only have Cleveland below the Skins because of the way they handled this year. Gave a raw guy a chance, took away his running game to build for the future, had to go through a carousel of QBs and then dump him when he goes 4-12.

Don't get me wrong, I am hopeful that the situation will work out, but if I'm a coach looking for a job, I'm not jumping on the phone to my agent to tell him to get me an interview for Ringling Brothers.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #14
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Don't get me wrong, I am hopeful that the situation will work out, but if I'm a coach looking for a job, I'm not jumping on the phone to my agent to tell him to get me an interview for Ringling Brothers.
IMO, the circus just left town.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #15
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
IMO, the circus just left town.
That is my hope, but there is one remaining link to the past 14 years, and he's still here. As long as Snyder is the Skins owner, there are going to be outsiders that look at this team as a circus, and that accounts into what candidates think.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote