Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Another Career Change

Parking Lot

Old 10-29-2007, 11:13 AM   #1
mheisig
The Starter

Another Career Change

Well I have officially resigned with the Knoxville Police Department. It was one hell of a ride for the past two years and I got to do some awesome stuff, but in the end I had to do what was right for my family. The hours sucked, I hardly ever saw my wife and daughter, and the pay/benefits were atrocious.

I got offered my old position at my old job (Web designer, the E.W. Scripps company) to the tune of a 40% raise over my police salary, full benefits, a flexible schedule and normal hours. I also got a sweet MacBook Pro 15" to take home and a 23" Cinema Display in my office. The real advantage is I'm home every night to see my little girl and my wife and I actually get to talk and go out once on a while.

The real point of all of this is that I'm back in front of a computer 10 hours a day, which means nonstop Warpath-ing!

Advertisements
Old 10-29-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Re: Another Career Change

Congrats, it will be nice to hear good s**t jokes more often!

I'm actually going to be starting a new job next week, so my time here on the WP might be rather limited until I get the hang of things. I think it will be just as mindless and Office Space-ish as what I do now but I'll be making more money and I won't have to drive over an hour in each direction to get to and from work.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:21 AM   #3
Schneed10
A Dude

Excellent. Big pay raise, time with the family, time with the Warpath family, what's not to love?!

Congrats man.

And brilliant signature, by the way. That should be the new Warpath culture!
Old 10-29-2007, 11:37 AM   #4
GhettoDogAllStars
Playmaker

Glad to hear you'll be able to spend more time with your family. It's too bad civic professions (fire, police, teaching, etc.) are not more lucrative. We need good people in those fields. Unfortunately, good people can usually make a lot more money elsewhere.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:45 AM   #5
mheisig
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoDogAllStars View Post
Glad to hear you'll be able to spend more time with your family. It's too bad civic professions (fire, police, teaching, etc.) are not more lucrative. We need good people in those fields. Unfortunately, good people can usually make a lot more money elsewhere.
I almost feel sorry for the department because they try desperately to hang on to people with experience and college degrees but they just can't. The vast majority end up going to the private sector and making twice as much money.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:46 AM   #6
mheisig
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
Congrats, it will be nice to hear good s**t jokes more often!

I'm actually going to be starting a new job next week, so my time here on the WP might be rather limited until I get the hang of things. I think it will be just as mindless and Office Space-ish as what I do now but I'll be making more money and I won't have to drive over an hour in each direction to get to and from work.
We're moving to building next week, and based on the floor plan I just got I should be like 25 feet from the bathroom - sweet!

Good luck with the new job. Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you do?
Old 10-29-2007, 12:03 PM   #7
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheisig View Post
We're moving to building next week, and based on the floor plan I just got I should be like 25 feet from the bathroom - sweet!

Good luck with the new job. Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you do?
For the past 2+ years I've been working for a government contractor basically doing data maintenance on a huge survey for the Department of Health and Human Services. It's been boring and the pay is not very good but it's low stress and I worked with good people so I stuck around. But then I finally decided to grow up and move out of my parents' basement so I needed a job that pays better and might actually give me a chance to advance within the company.

At the new job I'll be handling accounts for a large marketing company. It'll be more data management with some other aspects thrown in. Like I said before, the job will be very Office Space-ish, but I think it'll be okay.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:37 PM   #8
Dlyne8r
Impact Rookie

Glad to hear of your new found gig in life mheisbig. Sounds like you have the correct priorities in life and I wish you and yours the best! Being a cop in Knoxville must have presented some "special" challenges. I simply couldn't imagine trying to police anyone after a UT game! I am originally from Tennessee (yes, I can read and write) and have fond memories visiting buddies in the "Orange Nation." I spent more time there than they did and probably did more of their class work as well! Anyway, best of luck in your new endeavor!
Old 10-29-2007, 01:49 PM   #9
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Congrats and good luck, mheisig, and AMD as well. Just started a new job this sept. down in Houston, and it's good to have a job you like going to, let me tell you!