Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

F... Dish Network

Parking Lot

Old 09-06-2007, 10:10 AM   #1
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

F... Dish Network

About 3 months ago, I switched from Comcast to Dish Network. Before I switched I specifically asked about local broadcast channels in HD so that I could continue watching HD Football. I was assured that yes, any local programming that's broadcast in HD will come through their service in HD. Well, I don't watch any local programming or broadcast tv except for football so I haven't really used that for the last couple of months. When I went to watch some preseason football that was broadcast in HD last week, it was not coming through any of the feeds in anything but standard definition. I called Dish today to see wtf was going on. The customer service clown informed me that Dish Network DOESN'T HAVE THE GD RIGHTS TO HD BROADCAST IN MY AREA. So basically, I paid to have some worthless shit installed. I'm so pissed off right now. I'm debating on going back to Comcast or jumping to DirecTV. Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-06-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Re: F... Dish Network

Directv is so much better.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:18 AM   #3
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Directv is so much better.
Care to elaborate on that? lol

I thought the programming is pretty much identical. The reason I chose Dish in the first place is they gave me a free HD DVR and another free HD Receiver...

Thomas Paine
Old 09-06-2007, 10:34 AM   #4
dmek25
MVP

negotiate with direct tv. explain to them how bad you want it, but tell them the dish offered you free stuff. right now i think direct offers just about everything in high def. and direct also has the nfl ticket
Old 09-06-2007, 10:37 AM   #5
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
negotiate with direct tv. explain to them how bad you want it, but tell them the dish offered you free stuff. right now i think direct offers just about everything in high def. and direct also has the nfl ticket

That what I'm doing. I called DirecTV and told them I wanted to switch but that they'd have to give me a deal to make up for the fact that I just paid to have Dish installed, blah blah blah. No luck yet, but I'll call back later. Right now, all they're willing to do is free HD receiver and install which is their regular promotion anyway. $200 for a HD DVR.

Thomas Paine
Old 09-06-2007, 10:39 AM   #6
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post

I thought the programming is pretty much identical. The reason I chose Dish in the first place is they gave me a free HD DVR and another free HD Receiver...

Dmek pretty much said it. My bro had dish network for the same reason and he told direct tv that dish gave him the free stuff and d tv. gave us stuff, plus gave him free service for 1 month and we get i think it is showtime and hbo for free and we pay 39.99 how much do you pay

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:40 AM   #7
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Dmek pretty much said it. My bro had dish network for the same reason and he told direct tv that dish gave him the free stuff and d tv. gave us stuff, plus gave him free service for 1 month and we get i think it is showtime and hbo for free and we pay 39.99 how much do you pay
More than that. By like 50 dollars for 250 channels or whatever...

Thomas Paine
Old 09-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #8
Dlyne8r
Impact Rookie

Quote:

BB, I've posted about this in other threads, but DirecTV is uncomparable to anything else available to us mere mortals. I don't have anything to gain by promoting DirecTV, and for all the good things I've said about them I should get a credit from them or something, but I've been with them for 9 years running. First, you'll have access to the NFL Network, and their programming includes all of the 'Skins pre-season games (albeit on a delayed basis). Secondly, I have had nothing but good experiences with their customer service. You can't say that about cable TV...period. I've recv'd two equip. upgrades, most recently for HD, over the last few years, and the cost? Free, as long as I didn't jump ship. As far as the local HD broadcasts, I'm not sure how that works. But, I do know that when I watched a few pre-season games that had the "HD" banner in the screen, I didn't get the HD broadcast in my area. Could truly be a licensing thing depending on your actual location, so maybe "The Dish" wasn't blowing smoke. Anyway, if you like watching football, DirecTV is second to none (ok, DirecTV reps out there, send me a check or something for my endorsement). :-)
Dlyne8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:01 AM   #9
MTK
\m/

DirecTV has the Sunday Ticket, what else do you need to know??
Old 09-06-2007, 11:08 AM   #10
DEVIL'S OWN
No new threads for you

Quote:
About 3 months ago, I switched from Comcast to Dish Network. Before I switched I specifically asked about local broadcast channels in HD so that I could continue watching HD Football. I was assured that yes, any local programming that's broadcast in HD will come through their service in HD. Well, I don't watch any local programming or broadcast tv except for football so I haven't really used that for the last couple of months. When I went to watch some preseason football that was broadcast in HD last week, it was not coming through any of the feeds in anything but standard definition. I called Dish today to see wtf was going on. The customer service clown informed me that Dish Network DOESN'T HAVE THE GD RIGHTS TO HD BROADCAST IN MY AREA. So basically, I paid to have some worthless shit installed. I'm so pissed off right now. I'm debating on going back to Comcast or jumping to DirecTV. Any thoughts, suggestions?

this is my first year with Directv, and I so excited, plus there adding like a gang of extra HD channel's this fall, plus I have the ticket with superfan, I've had no problems with Directv, the only problem I've had was when it rain, besides that, your better off getting, DirecTV, plus all my nfl ticket games or in beautiful HD........i've died and went to heaven
Old 09-06-2007, 11:38 AM   #11
MTK
\m/

This will be my second full season with DirecTV. I love it, the Sunday Ticket is soooo freaking money.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:27 PM   #12
drew54
The Starter

As a new member to Direct TV, I have been happy with the programing, and unhappy with the tech support.

I have the HD DVR and one day I came home to a green screen. I called DTV and they were not helpful. Finally I talked the lady into sending out a technician. I began troubleshooting myself and turns out it was just my HDMI and Componet connections that were a green screen. I called them back to let them know the normal AV was working, and the lady wanted to cancel my technician request as it was working. After arguing that 480i is not the same as 720p/1080i she left my ticket open.

So Friday rolls around and I took time off work for the tech to show up. He never shows. I called in and talked to a helpful person and got $100 credit. While I was waiting on the tech I googled my answer and it turns out that my TV was the issue.

Either way, DTV programing should be far superior once these new HD channels are added, and just be aware of their support. It is really hit or miss if you are going to get someone in the US or in India.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:29 PM   #13
jbcjr14
The Starter

DirecTV is the ONLY ticket for NFL fans! I have had the NFL ticket since inception of the program some 9-10 years ago. Now with the HD and the Superfan there is nothing better! Go with DirecTV as they are the premier dish provider that can deliver your NFL fix!
Old 09-06-2007, 12:41 PM   #14
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
That what I'm doing. I called DirecTV and told them I wanted to switch but that they'd have to give me a deal to make up for the fact that I just paid to have Dish installed, blah blah blah. No luck yet, but I'll call back later. Right now, all they're willing to do is free HD receiver and install which is their regular promotion anyway. $200 for a HD DVR.
You paid too have the dish installed? I thought all of these Co. had install so many boxes and dish for free deals. You may be stuck if you had to sign a contract for a certain amount of time.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:54 PM   #15
Dlyne8r
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew54 View Post
As a new member to Direct TV, I have been happy with the programing, and unhappy with the tech support.

I have the HD DVR and one day I came home to a green screen. I called DTV and they were not helpful. Finally I talked the lady into sending out a technician. I began troubleshooting myself and turns out it was just my HDMI and Componet connections that were a green screen. I called them back to let them know the normal AV was working, and the lady wanted to cancel my technician request as it was working. After arguing that 480i is not the same as 720p/1080i she left my ticket open.

So Friday rolls around and I took time off work for the tech to show up. He never shows. I called in and talked to a helpful person and got $100 credit. While I was waiting on the tech I googled my answer and it turns out that my TV was the issue.

Either way, DTV programing should be far superior once these new HD channels are added, and just be aware of their support. It is really hit or miss if you are going to get someone in the US or in India.
Unfortunately, a lot of of their "field" tech's, the guys that actually perform the installation, are "contract" workers, and not actual DirecTV employees. If in question, just look at their truck. It will say something to the effect of: XYZ Company contracted by DirecTV. However, the one that installed my oval HD dish, as a FREE upgrade, was very cordial and went out of his way to get the job done. Here in Georgia, the pine tree rules and they are freakin' everywhere! So, that creates problems trying to connect with a geosynchronous (sp?) orbiting satellite. It's amazing what you learn when you watch way too much TV!
Dlyne8r is offline   Reply With Quote