Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Defensive game plan vs. Eagles

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-11-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Defensive game plan vs. Eagles

I would like to solicit some ideas on how we will defend against Philly on MNF. I think it is paramount that we play solid defensively, because we can't count on our offense to do great things against a division rival in their house with their crowd.

Who starts at the CB positions and who comes in on nickel? Personally I think Springs and Smoot should start, and Rogers should be the third.

How will we get pressure on McNabb? GW has got to dial up some disguised blitzes. I think he will, and I tend to believe he was holding back some against Miami knowing we have a division game the following week.

I'm confident we can contain the run.

Discuss!
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-11-2007, 02:44 PM   #2
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Defensive game plan vs. Eagles

Springs and Rogers should be starting, and we should not be playing the Cover 2 if we don't have to. Philly lit us up when we played in the Cover 2 last year. And more blitzes, where the hell was the blitz in Sunday's game?
Old 09-11-2007, 02:45 PM   #3
LaRon + Sean = Hell 4 U
No new threads for you

Blitz McNabb and test that knee make him move he can't throw well on the run. He say himself he is like 75% great coverage with the secondary we will dominate.
LaRon + Sean = Hell 4 U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:46 PM   #4
dmek25
MVP

their wide outs are terrible. lets play man to man, and have everyone else up at the line of scrimmage. lets have someone other then Michael Westbrook beat us
Old 09-11-2007, 02:47 PM   #5
MTK
\m/

Westbrook will eat us up underneath if we give that up the short stuff like we did last week.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:50 PM   #6
70Chip
Playmaker

I would start Springs and Rogers. Carlos does a lot of things well. I'm sorry he's not a lockdown CB but it is what it is. I can't give him the hook quite yet.

I think the one player we need to stop is Westbrook. If you can nuetralize the screens and draws you take away a lot of first downs. The next thing they look to is the TE over the middle, so I would continue to play Cover 1 or Cover 3 a lot. In terms of pressuring McNabb, the most important thing is to contain him. If we can keep him in the pocket and make him make plays with his arm and not his legs, we will win our share of those situations. He was 15/33 last week.

But, I think the most important thing we can do is establish the running game. The Eagles love to get a lead and then blitz like mad when you have to try to catch up. We need Portis and Betts to control the clock and keep the game manageable. I think we showed Sunday, that if we can keep game close to the point where we can continue to run the football late, we will eventually when the war of attrition up front.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:51 PM   #7
The Zimmermans
Impact Rookie

RUN THE CRAP OUTTA THE BALL, and contain McNabb, keep him in the pocket = win
Old 09-11-2007, 02:51 PM   #8
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Blitzes, blizes and more blitzes. Hearing that crap about how Trent is the check-down master pisses me off. Unless we're playing some rookie QB, ALL NFL QBs are going to be able to check down effectively for the most part.

We need to get some pressure in his face to win this one.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:53 PM   #9
redsk1
The Starter

1. Start Springs...

2. Laron meet B Westbrook
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:54 PM   #10
RMSkins
The Starter

Springs and Rogers need to be starting to have success in this game, if it's Smoot and Rogers we are going to be in for a long night. I don't think the Eagles run game will be much of a factor, as I think the Eagles will do a lot of dump passes, and screens to Westbrook, and exploit the holes between our LB's and DB's with their WR's like the Dolphins did. We definitely need to get to McNabb early in the game with some blitzes, to rattle his confidence. I think if we can take Westbrook out of the game, and contain McNabb and make him force throws to his WR's then I think we will have a good shot at doing well against their offense.
RMSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:59 PM   #11
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

GET MC'NABB,
In the past, we have allowed him to shop the field until someone opened up. if we continue to do that, he will continue to KILL US

Concrete shoes
Cyanide
T.N.T
Done dirt cheap
Ooo, neckties
Contracts
High voltage
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:04 PM   #12
DGreene28
Special Teams

I think Landry should shadow Westbrook and take him out of the game. We make the Eagles have to beat us offensively without their most dangerous weapon
Old 09-11-2007, 03:04 PM   #13
12thMan
MVP

This game is going to boil down to time of possession, I believe. The Eagles won't throw anything at the Redskins we haven't seen in the past two or three years. Their core parts and approach are essentially the same. A new wrinkle here and there, but basically the same old Eagles.

We have to get an early jump on them, control the clock, and keep them in third down passing situations - that's it. I tell you who's going to be critical to us winning this game; Derrick Frost. If we can keep the Eagles on a long field as opposed to a short one like we did last year, I think we have a really good shot.

I don't know how effective blitzing will be to honest with you, and we can not give them those cushions underneath as has been pointed out.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:10 PM   #14
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGreene28 View Post
I think Landry should shadow Westbrook and take him out of the game. We make the Eagles have to beat us offensively without their most dangerous weapon
Shadowing a player just doesn't work. All you do is take a top player on the defense out of 90% of the plays because it isn't too hard for the offense to catch on to that.

Landry just needs to play within the scheme and he will make plays.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:19 PM   #15
firstdown
Living Legend

Maybe its me but I have the feeling that our D is going to shut down McNabb and Westbrook. JC, Cooley, and Moss will click in this game then add El, Portis, Betts, and its a big time win. Oh, and I forgot that Laundry & Taylor will be all over the field and we will hear their names allot this week.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote