Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Shanahan and the Running Game

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-23-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
Hail to the Redskins
The Starter

Shanahan and the Running Game

I found this old article that ... if could be carried over to Washington... would make ALL of us happy...

The running back factory: Denver keeps churning great rushers out like they're coming off of an assembly line | Football Digest | Find Articles at BNET

The question is... Does Shanahan get all of the credit for the running scheme? Does he get the credit for evaluating running backs' talent?

Oh... and related... I had no idea until Stuart Scott said it while interviewing Bruce Allen... did anyone else know that Shanahan said where ever he went he wanted B. Allen with him??

Guess I was just completely out of the loop on that one...

Advertisements
Old 12-23-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Re: Shanahan and the Running Game

on the last bit yeah, it's been discussed in every major thread about the FO.. and many others
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
davy
Impact Rookie

I always thought that it was Alex Gibbs who was the brains behind the Denver running game.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
Hail to the Redskins
The Starter

I guess that's part of my point for the thread...

Is it Shanahan's running scheme or A. Gibbs?
Old 12-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Maybe Gibbs will be coming, too, making the question moot.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Denver's running game is designed for smaller quicker linemen with good lateral movement who can execute the strength of their running game which is the stretch plays.

I'm wondering if any of the linemen we currently have on our roster are the type that would be ideal for that type of running game. We have more plodders and maulers than finesse players. If Shanahan comes to Washington we may have to make more changes on the OL than maybe we had anticipated.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:41 PM   #7
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail to the Redskins View Post
I guess that's part of my point for the thread...

Is it Shanahan's running scheme or A. Gibbs?
The Texans have a horrible running game this year. Gibbs did have the Falcons running well when he was with them though.

Shanahan had a 1000+ yd rusher from 2004-2006 and several good backups. In 2007 Selvin Young and Travis Henry split starts and each ran for about 700. Averages were 5.2 and 4.1. In 2008 no back started more than 6 games and the highest single total was 343 at an avg of 5.0.

Falcons and Texans had some good rushing years as well while Gibbs was there and the Falcons still did pretty well after he left. Kind of hard to say who's responsible, seems like they're both pretty competent at it.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:35 PM   #8
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
Denver's running game is designed for smaller quicker linemen with good lateral movement who can execute the strength of their running game which is the stretch plays.

I'm wondering if any of the linemen we currently have on our roster are the type that would be ideal for that type of running game. We have more plodders and maulers than finesse players. If Shanahan comes to Washington we may have to make more changes on the OL than maybe we had anticipated.
The O-line sucks. We need to "Rebuild" the O-line. It doesn't matter if we must pick up new bruisers or new smaller quicker lineman.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:42 PM   #9
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:

Exactly which linemen were we planning on keeping? Dock is the only one I think that could eveb be remotely considered. And he's only OK. The other four are either awful or the position doesn't even have a real starter at. All five are gone by the 2011 season at the latest,
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:37 AM   #10
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:

LOL we need to recycle the line anyway...might as well get what Shanny needs to make to work. Maybe Dock can continue to start but other than that we need to cut guys or just keep them as serviceable backups.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:30 PM   #11
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Alex Gibb's zone blocking scheme was the key to Denver's rushing success, but I wonder whether his preference for smaller, more athletic O-linemen would be overpowered by the strong D-lines of the NFC East.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:14 PM   #12
LandrySlice
Special Teams

I don't think it matters, the Chargers always had some big D lines out in the AFC west, but I guess we will see!
Old 12-24-2009, 11:34 PM   #13
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
Alex Gibb's zone blocking scheme was the key to Denver's rushing success, but I wonder whether his preference for smaller, more athletic O-linemen would be overpowered by the strong D-lines of the NFC East.
I was thinking the same thing, but if that will indeed be his preference our current line will need a complete makeover. We do face a combination of both strength and size in our NFC east competitors. Speed and quickness has been known to win out over size and strength depending on the scheme. Denvers' O-lines of the past have revolutionized the chop-block.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:36 PM   #14
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandrySlice View Post
I don't think it matters, the Chargers always had some big D lines out in the AFC west, but I guess we will see!
Oakland & KC as well.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:15 AM   #15
rbanerjee23
The Starter

It should go to show how important and high a priority OL is to Shanny...I am so happy that we may finally get a GM + HC that understand the importance of building the trenches.

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote