Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Board Management > Playbook

Suggestion - Post Counts

Playbook

Old 01-09-2007, 12:13 PM   #1
Schneed10
A Dude

Suggestion - Post Counts

This is a general suggestion that may help improve the quality of the discussion on the boards. First off, if you don't believe the quality on the boards could use improvement, then you can feel free to stop reading right here.

But I often get frustrated by the flood of useless posts that we see on this site. It's like people are often responding to threads without reading to see if their ideas or questions were previously discussed.

I'd suggest eliminating post count from the display under the user's avatar. Based on what I've seen over the last few days, some people on this site actually feel that a high post count actually means you are a "senior member" of the site. And often times, it seems like people are posting just to watch their post count go up. I don't know about anyone else, but more than anything, I appreciate the quality of the discussion here on this site. If someone offers valuable insights or opinions, they get my respect. Having a big post history definitely does not.

Taking away the post count is a small step. It's not likely to make a big impact right away. But I think it will take that incentive away from the next member who joins to run up his post count with useless crud.

PS This is in no way directed at people with current high post counts like TMC, Matty, TAF, or That Guy. I respect you guys because you both post a lot AND offer valuable insight. That's best of both worlds.

I just think it would be better if we didn't see post count at all. I've got a fair amount of posts myself, but I could really care less. I just want to have quality discussion.

If you have any counterpoints, what would be good reasons to continue to have the post count displayed?

Advertisements
Old 01-09-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Re: Suggestion - Post Counts

I'd suggest eliminating post count from the display under the user's avatar. Based on what I've seen over the last few days, some people on this site actually feel that a high post count actually means you are a "senior member" of the site. And often times, it seems like people are posting just to watch their post count go up. I don't know about anyone else, but more than anything, I appreciate the quality of the discussion here on this site. If someone offers valuable insights or opinions, they get my respect. Having a big post history definitely does not.

Totally, sometimes when the traffic is not to high you can actually watch as someone go down the list, and post each thread to..........bulk up the post count..........ridiculous. As you say, dump the post count should handle that. I doubt you'll get much support on that one
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
Totally, sometimes when the traffic is not to high you can actually watch as someone go down the list, and post each thread to..........bulk up the post count..........ridiculous. As you say, dump the post count should handle that. I doubt you'll get much support on that one
It's worth a shot. One of the great things about this forum is the Mods are always willing to listen to the members. If people think it's a good idea, they'll consider it. So I wanted to throw it out there to see if people agreed with me.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:30 PM   #4
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

But then how will I know when to write my 15K Post Dedication thread? Seriously though, I hear what you're saying. I mean this is why we no longer link avatars with number of posts.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:32 PM   #5
12thMan
MVP

I don't care one way or another. But I think it's okay for another member to refer to someone else as a 'Senior Member' as long as he/she doesn't refer to themself as that.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:33 PM   #6
Schneed10
A Dude

Yeah the dedication threads are funny and fun to read. People get creative with it and it's real fun. But other than that, I can't think of another reason for displaying it. Maybe there's just something I'm not thinking of though?
Old 01-09-2007, 12:36 PM   #7
FRPLG
MVP

Who thinks post counts make them special? I haven't paid too much attention lately so I missed that.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:00 PM   #8
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Who thinks post counts make them special? I haven't paid too much attention lately so I missed that.
You have ~2,926 posts. By my calculations, I will surpass you in 117 days, 5 hours and 13 minutes. Be ready. I know I am. I've got a bottle of 17 year old Dom Perignon chilled for just that momentous event.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:47 PM   #9
MTK
\m/

It's a pretty solid suggestion there Schneed.

Unless anyone objects I don't see the harm in trying it out.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:17 PM   #10
jsarno
Franchise Player

I personally like know how many people have.
I don't think Schneed is referring to me as a poster with no quality, so this doesn't apply to me, but I like the post counts.

The problem is not the counts...who cares if you have 1000 when Matty is reaching the millions! (jk) It's about what you add in value. Some, no matter where you go, will not offer any quality argument...doesn't matter if you take away the post count, they still won't offer it. When I look at someone that has 2000 posts, I do not see them as a senior member, or anything like that. I see them for what they have offered.
So I guess if I had to "vote", I'd say keep the post counts. Or maybe keep the counts, but hide them somewhere. Maybe that will make everyone happy.
But if we're thinking that the quality of posts will go up due to this, I doubt it.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:24 PM   #11
MTK
\m/

Ok let's give it a try, post counts have been removed but you can still see them in a user's profile.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #12
jbcjr14
The Starter

And for those that may oppose this action...

http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-w...ce-change.html
Old 01-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #13
jsarno
Franchise Player

To play devil's advocate...what's next to "try to get better posts"...take away the age and the VIP buttons?
ps- I like the idea of hiding the posts, so don't get me wrong...I just beleive this will not create better posts.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:17 PM   #14
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

I don't know about the rest of you but i am going to continue posting in hopes of increasing my post count.

Oh baby 5000 here i come.

But for the idea of hiding post counts. Lets try it.
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:18 PM   #15
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

I am the..............uniposter??? unithreadster??? i like it
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote