Justice Stevens to Retire

Not too surprising really

High court: Justice Stevens to retire - CNN.com

Advertisements
Old 04-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: Justice Stevens to Retire

Bad timing, that's all I'll say about that.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

I don't think that people should be serving when that old anyways, best wishes in his retirement though. With any luck we can get another Sotomayor....
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
12thMan
MVP

I agree with Buster, I don't like the timing of this at all.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Bad timing, that's all I'll say about that.
How so? I mean clearly he wants his successor to be nominated by L.O. and if he does it after next election cycles the Republicans likely would have more influence. This allows L.O. to go with a strict liberal and push it through before the new Senate would be seated.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
12thMan
MVP

I think you're wrong on both counts. Whether the GOP win more seats or not, they'll confirm Obama's nominee in the end. They'll kick up a lot of dust, but he/she will get confirmed.

In terms of a "stict liberal", whatever that is, I think Obama will pick another middle of the road nominee that is probably just left of center. The acid test of how liberal the nominee is or isn't is how the far left reacts, not Sean Hannity. Truth is, whomever he chooses the GOP will portray them as a radical liberal no matter what.

My issue with the timing, which may differ from Buster's, is that the dust has barely settled on healthcare, so there's still some raw feelings on both sides of the aisle leftover from the debate. Secondly, with the mid-terms approaching this will be over politicized and over covered by the media and further gridlock Washington.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
dmek25
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I think you're wrong on both counts. Whether the GOP win more seats or not, they'll confirm Obama's nominee in the end. They'll kick up a lot of dust, but he/she will get confirmed.

In terms of a "stict liberal", whatever that is, I think Obama will pick another middle of the road nominee that is probably just left of center. The acid test of how liberal the nominee is or isn't is how the far left reacts, not Sean Hannity. Truth is, whomever he chooses the GOP will portray them as a radical liberal no matter what.

My issue with the timing, which may differ from Buster's, is that the dust has barely settled on healthcare, so there's still some raw feelings on both sides of the aisle leftover from the debate. Secondly, with the mid-terms approaching this will be over politicized and over covered by the media and further gridlock Washington.
it just keeps getting worse and worse
Old 04-11-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
saden1
MVP

Nothing wrong with the timing at all. If the Republicans want to filibuster nominees they can solidify their Party of No/Obstructionists label. 41 Senators will be required to stop a nominee and I doubt Lord Obama will nominate another Harriet Miers or some other unqualified individuals. I hope he nominates someone young and liberal.

Let the games begin.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
12thMan
MVP

Haha...Lord Obama. I keep hearing Elana Kagan as the front runner. Would be nice if he picked a more liberal nominee, but I doubt he will.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #10
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

If you're a Republican, this is just another friendly reminder of how bad your guys are at picking Supreme Court nominees. Before David Souter retired, 7 of the 9 justices were picked by Republican presidents, yet just about every important decision that came down hung in the balance on a 5-4 vote that could always go either way.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:46 PM   #11
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
If you're a Republican, this is just another friendly reminder of how bad your guys are at picking Supreme Court nominees. Before David Souter retired, 7 of the 9 justices were picked by Republican presidents, yet just about every important decision that came down hung in the balance on a 5-4 vote that could always go either way.
Or maybe republican presidents of the old day had a democratic congress which kept either side from being to politically charged. Or maybe republican presidents looked at candidates based on constitutional constructs and not as much on political leanings. Or maybe republican presidents just didn't have a clue.

I vote for all of the above.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #12
dmek25
MVP

nice try, but you know better then that
Old 04-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #13
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Or maybe republican presidents of the old day had a democratic congress which kept either side from being to politically charged. Or maybe republican presidents looked at candidates based on constitutional constructs and not as much on political leanings. Or maybe republican presidents just didn't have a clue.

I vote for all of the above.
Stevens and Souter were classic bait and switch. Both of them threw everybody for a loop. They were Gerald Ford and George H.W. Bush selections, respectively. Bush Sr. has regretted the decision ever since.

O'Connor and Kennedy were Reagan selections, but both were swing votes that came to decisions that the GOP sometimes liked, but sometimes really, really didn't like.

If anyone of these nominees were selected based on their "constitutional constructs" then the Republicans aren't as interested in the Constitution as I thought. Of the three possibilities you mentioned, I'd say it's the latter.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:19 AM   #14
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Eleanor Kagan will be Obama's choice.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #15
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Think her name is Elena