Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

17,000 More Troops Afghanistan

Debating with the enemy

Old 02-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
firstdown
Living Legend

17,000 More Troops To Afghanistan

So yesterday when passing the stimulas bill Obama announced more troops are going over seas. What's his exit strategy, how long will they be there, what's is his goals, when will we know his goals are met. etc.... I did not here any of these concerns addressed when he announced his troop build up.

Obama: Troops alone cannot win in Afghanistan - CNN.com
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
steveo395
The Starter

Re: 17,000 More Troops To Afghanistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
So yesterday when passing the stimulas bill Obama announced more troops are going over seas. What's his exit strategy, how long will they be there, what's is his goals, when will we know his goals are met. etc.... I did not here any of these concerns addressed when he announced his troop build up.

Obama: Troops alone cannot win in Afghanistan - CNN.com
Don't you know those things only matter when Bush does it?

But anyway this is one of the few things I actually agree with Obama on.

steveo395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo395 View Post

I do to but I'm having fun with his lack of details.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:30 AM   #4
dmek25
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo395 View Post

i voted for Obama, but i disagree with this. im trying to figure out what exactly the United States is trying to accomplish?
Old 02-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
i voted for Obama, but i disagree with this. im trying to figure out what exactly the United States is trying to accomplish?
Hadn't he been saying for months that we needed to redirect troops to Afghanistan to fight the insurgents and find Bin Laden?
Old 02-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Hadn't he been saying for months that we needed to redirect troops to Afghanistan to fight the insurgents and find Bin Laden?
PFFT...That was the first things that Obamma took care of. Don't you remember this?

Trend News : Angry civilians protest civilian deaths in Afghanistan

Why else would we target civilians.

Of course I am not serious.

More

US general visits Afghan bomb site for death claim | CITIZEN-TIMES.com | Asheville Citizen-Times

Last edited by KLHJ2; 02-18-2009 at 01:14 PM.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
Make sure the Taliban/extremists don't take hold of the country and we wind up with another 9/11 ten years from now.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:20 AM   #8
MTK
\m/

Re: 17,000 More Troops Afghanistan

There seems to be this stupid game going on right now of comparing everything back to Bush and it just seems so childish and unproductive to me. It's almost like a 5 year old whining to his Mom that Billy got away with something so why can't he. Is it possible to just talk about the issues at hand instead of getting into this ridiculous game of finger pointing?
Old 02-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #9
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
There seems to be this stupid game going on right now of comparing everything back to Bush and it just seems so childish and unproductive to me. It's almost like a 5 year old whining to his Mom that Billy got away with something so why can't he. Is it possible to just talk about the issues at hand instead of getting into this ridiculous game of finger pointing?
I was joking to a point but why demand time lines and dates and such from one president but not another. Isn't that a double standard? I just remember all the fuss when we had the troop build up in Iraq a year or so ago and isn't that what we are doing in Afghanistan?

Last edited by firstdown; 02-18-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #10
MTK
\m/

Quote:
I was joking to a point but why demand time lines and dates and such from one president but not another. Isn't that a double standard? I just remember all the fuss when we had the troop build up in Iraq a year or so ago and isn't that what we are doing in Afghanistan?
Nobody demanded time lines until Iraq was dragging out and we appeared to be spinning our wheels. If the same thing ends up happening in Afghanistan we can be pretty sure people will want the same kind of answers.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:53 PM   #11
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Nobody demanded time lines until Iraq was dragging out and we appeared to be spinning our wheels. If the same thing ends up happening in Afghanistan we can be pretty sure people will want the same kind of answers.
DefenseLink News Transcript: Secretary Rumsfeld Remarks on ABC "This Week with George Stephanopoulos"
This interview was 2wks after the start of the war, I did a very quick google so there are probably others. The question of "How long" is always asked when troops are put into danger zones, although the answer is usually more to serve political needs than reality.

Quote:
ANNOUNCER: This morning, as the war enters its second week, new questions about how long it might last.

PRESIDENT GEORGE W. BUSH: However long it takes. That's the answer to your question, and that's what you've got to know.
Quote:
MR. STEPHANOPOULOS: Do you think we'll still be fighting in Iraq six months from now?

SEC. RUMSFELD: Oh, goodness, you know, I've never -- we've never had a timetable. We've always said it could be days, weeks, or months and we don't know.
I showed both the question - to prove that it was asked from the start, and the answer, to show that Pres. Obama could answer as well without giving specifics.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:51 PM   #12
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
No no no. Once Iraq turned around after we refocused our previously misguided efforts the rhetoric from the Obama campaign never changed. He never once said the surge worked and he simply played politics with it. Isn't that true?

I am simply trying to dispell this crazy notion that Obama is any different than any other politician and this idea of "change", a real tangible different way of our country being governed" is ever coming under him. He ahs already showsn signs of busniess as usual.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #13
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Who are you referring to demanding time lines? There were years in Iraq before that got to even be a major focal point.

It's this petty shit that keeps people uninformed and sensationalized.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #14
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Seriously? The bullshit way in which Bush and his administration were treated just gets thrown out now? What a bunch of hypocrites the lefties are. Democrats spent years harping on everything and making political battles through disinformation and down right lying on many occasions (not to forget they were right on a lot of things too.) Now when righties start pointing stuff out it is "childish and unproductive" What a joke. I understand the tit for tat being seen negatively viewed but that doesn't mean the last administration, or the one before it was treated fairly. It is one of the biggest problems with Washington and Obama was sent to "change" it. Good luck Barack. That is if you actually have the stones to try and "change" it. Nothing so far indicates that you do.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #15
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Seriously? The bullshit way in which Bush and his administration were treated just gets thrown out now? What a bunch of hypocrites the lefties are. Democrats spent years harping on everything and making political battles through disinformation and down right lying on many occasions (not to forget they were right on a lot of things too.) Now when righties start pointing stuff out it is "childish and unproductive" What a joke. I understand the tit for tat being seen negatively viewed but that doesn't mean the last administration, or the one before it was treated fairly. It is one of the biggest problems with Washington and Obama was sent to "change" it. Good luck Barack. That is if you actually have the stones to try and "change" it. Nothing so far indicates that you do.
I'm talking more of what goes on here.