Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Unbreakable Records

Parking Lot

Old 05-16-2005, 09:47 PM   #1
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Unbreakable Records

As most of you probably heard, Tiger Woods record streak of 142 consecutive PGA events making the cut ended this weekend. Not a popular record, but an impressive one nonetheless. Ernie Els, who is currently the active leader, would have to make the cut for approximately the next 7 years to equal Tiger.

This goes down with Dimaggio's 56 game hit streak, Cal's consecutive games streak, Nolan Ryan's 7 no-hitters, and Wilt's 100 point game as some records that may never be broken.

What do you guys think are some other unbreakable individual (not team) sports records?"

Advertisements
Old 05-16-2005, 09:54 PM   #2
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Re: Unbreakable Records

Not to reiterate what you've stated, but I think the ultimate unbreakable streak is Cal's. I don't think anyone in the next 200 years will break it.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:55 PM   #3
NY_Skinsfan
Impact Rookie

I'm not one for sports history but Tiger also holds the record with 5 consecutive years with the most wins on tour....Jack, Arnold, Byron Nelson, Ben Hogan....they couldn't do it...I don't think that record will be broken for the rest of my lifetime at least
NY_Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:05 PM   #4
Redskins8588
Playmaker

I am not sure as to how this fits but only Richard Petty and Dale Earnhart(SP) were the only 2 drivers in nascar history to win 7 championships... I think that Jeff Gordon has the best chance to do it he currently has like 3 or 4 titles now, but when Nextel took over they made some changes so who knows if that will happen again or not...
Old 05-16-2005, 10:54 PM   #5
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Wayne Gretzky's 2800+ career points is mind boggling. If for no other reason than if you took away his goals and just measure his assists total he'd still be the all-time NHL points leader
Old 05-16-2005, 11:36 PM   #6
Hijinx
The Starter

While the sport has never gained a large following here in the U.S.A. Lance Armstorng's 6 straight Tour de France wins amazes me.

However Gretzky's records are almost beyond belief. When you compare his points, 2857 to the next hightest of 1887 you really see how much he was head and shoulders above the rest.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:19 AM   #7
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS
As most of you probably heard, Tiger Woods record streak of 142 consecutive PGA events making the cut ended this weekend. Not a popular record, but an impressive one nonetheless. Ernie Els, who is currently the active leader, would have to make the cut for approximately the next 7 years to equal Tiger.

This goes down with Dimaggio's 56 game hit streak, Cal's consecutive games streak, Nolan Ryan's 7 no-hitters, and Wilt's 100 point game as some records that may never be broken.

What do you guys think are some other unbreakable individual (not team) sports records?"
he doesn't seem to be a popular player among poster's here but no one can argue that Brett Favre's consecutive starting streak isn't up there as well and I could never see anyone, even Peyton Manning, coming close to it. All it takes is a pulled hammy or a dislocated finger or a bad enough of a blow to the head and they're on the bench.
plus how about the streak Barry Sanders had with over 1,100 yards in every season he played as well as making the pro bowl in every year he played?
No one will ever come within 20-25 points of Wilt chamberlin's 100 pt game.
I also see it being almost impossible for any baseball player to ever win a triple crown ever again.
there r definitely quite a few that will never be broken or reached and Gretzky's record is just ridiculous. It's absolutely amazing what that man accomplished in his career.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:12 AM   #8
FRPLG
MVP

This is an interesting thread. I was actually watching ESPN classic's "Greatest Records" this morning and they had a pretty good list. My only quibble was with having DiMaggio's hit streak at number one. I am a baseball guy by nature but I think on the entire list the most breakable record is the 56 game hit streak. That could be broken any time by a good hitter. The records like Cal's consecutive game streak, Nolan Ryan's 7 no hitters, the Celtics winning 11 championships in 12 years and UCLA winning 7 straight NCAA championships will never ever be broken. It is simply not conceivable. My theory about why the 56 game hit streak is so revered is the same raeson that 61 was so reverred. First off it is an amazing accomplishment but it is also breakable. Every year the record gets mentioned when a guy has a hit streak going. Of course no one has gotten really close but it is conceivable that someone can and probably will.
I am bigger fan of the longevity type records. Not necessarily the game played and such but anything that takes an inconceivable amount of effort over time is just so much more impressive than getting ona hot streak for even a couple months. Gretzky's points total is ridiculous as well as Cy Youngs 511 career wins. 511. If a guy won 20 game's a year for 20 years he'd still be over a 100 short of that. Asanine isn't it?
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:28 AM   #9
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Glad you guys pointed out some of those. Those are RIDICULOUS! I didn't know there were that many that were so unbreakable.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:36 AM   #10
onlydarksets
Playmaker

Personally, I would think that 182,689 text messages in a month would be unbreakable. However, he wants to up that number over the next few months. I guess the greats just get greater!
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:44 AM   #11
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

another baseball one is that streak of 30 some innings orel hershiser didn't allow a run I think back in the mid to late 80s.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:14 AM   #12
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I think Hershiser had 59 consecutive scoreless innings pitched
Old 05-17-2005, 05:05 PM   #13
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS
I think Hershiser had 59 consecutive scoreless innings pitched
damn and to think I thought 30 some innings was impressive, lol.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:57 PM   #14
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

No record is unbreakable. Armstrong had the luxury of having a team that did everything in the world to help him win, and all he does is that race which he trains all year for. Another luxury most bikers don't get the oppurtunity to take advantage of. He's still a great biker, but he has advantages besides his athletic ability.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:51 PM   #15
Skins fan 44
Impact Rookie

Cy Young's record will never be broken. How many did he win 500 or 600? It is truely amazing record. I think it could be awhile before Bonds single season home run record is broken, the the steroid testing going on now. Richard Petty's 200 wins will not be broken due to less races and more of an even field racing now. In sprint car racing there will never be another Steve Kinser (gotta follow something since football takes off for so long).