Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Selig Finally Takes a Stand

Parking Lot

Old 04-30-2005, 05:29 PM   #1
cpayne5
Playmaker

Selig Finally Takes a Stand

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

This is great news for the MLB. It will be interesting to see how the MLBPA responds.

Advertisements
Old 05-01-2005, 01:28 AM   #2
redrock-skins
Impact Rookie

Re: Selig Finally Takes a Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

This is great news for the MLB. It will be interesting to see how the MLBPA responds.
The players association will never go for this, but I'd say they bargain down to 25 games, with the 3 strikes plan as Bud layed out. The 3 strikes is the best part of it.
redrock-skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:16 AM   #3
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

there is no way in hell that the MLBPA will go for a lifetime ban...nonetheless 50 games for first time offense. i'm almost willing to bet it either stays at 10 games or nudges up to 15...

i also think it's bullshit how Congress just rolled over and played dead during the NFL's steroid hearings.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:30 AM   #4
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I don't see how the MLBPA should have any say in something that significant. It's like saying that if someone drives intoxicated 3 times, their license is revoked forever. Just like driving, it is a privilege and should be able to be revoked just as easily.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:32 AM   #5
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I mean everyone is all pissed off saying "we don't know what we can and can't buy over the counter." I've got an idea, DON'T USE SUPPLEMENTS. That's why baseball's golden era has long been over.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:33 AM   #6
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

The only supplements the old greats needed were cigars and a fifth of Jack.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:49 AM   #7
redrock-skins
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie
there is no way in hell that the MLBPA will go for a lifetime ban...nonetheless 50 games for first time offense. i'm almost willing to bet it either stays at 10 games or nudges up to 15...

i also think it's bullshit how Congress just rolled over and played dead during the NFL's steroid hearings.
Actually, I think it is BS Congress had any steroids hearings in the first place. Both parties are trying to score political points, while not solving other pressing issues.
redrock-skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:21 AM   #8
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

i wholeheartedly agree. congress has no business in professional sports, at least not in this subject. but, hot button topics will get congressmen and senators jumping for percentage points.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 12:37 PM   #9
cpayne5
Playmaker

It's a house panel, not congress in it's entirety. This panel, just like every other panel, will make a report and present it to congress.

Steroids are illegal and there were reports that their use was running rampant within MLB. I don't see how they could just sit back and do nothing. The NFL has been questioned, and I think the NBA is up next. You didn't hear much about the NFL's testimony because the NFL is far superior when it comes to drug testing than MLB.

I watched while the panel members interviewed Selig and Fehr. It was embarrassing to see how unprofessional and two faced they were. It's no wonder that there is steroid abuse within the league that these two oversee.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:46 PM   #10
BrudLee
Playmaker

Selig's stand is entirely for show. By suggesting a penalty that he knows the union will never agree to, he gets to claim he was for tougher penalties. The union won't agree to amend their CBA further until it's determined whether the current changes have the desired effect, and are unlikely to recommend a penalty which would be stronger than the NFL's (50 is more than 1/4 of the season - which is the NFL's penalty of 4 games), and would effectively cull their membership by banning 3rd strike offenders.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:40 AM   #11
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrudLee
Selig's stand is entirely for show. By suggesting a penalty that he knows the union will never agree to, he gets to claim he was for tougher penalties. The union won't agree to amend their CBA further until it's determined whether the current changes have the desired effect, and are unlikely to recommend a penalty which would be stronger than the NFL's (50 is more than 1/4 of the season - which is the NFL's penalty of 4 games), and would effectively cull their membership by banning 3rd strike offenders.
Right, but the MLBPA cannot flat out reject the offer because of how the public will perceive it. The high number will almost certainly be nogotiated, probably to half. I agree that Selig is a goon, but atleast he did something.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:32 AM   #12
MTK
\m/

Not to change the subject but what do you guys think of these stories about Lenny Dykstra using roids and betting on baseball??

Nails used to be one of my favorite players back in the day, I guess it wouldn't be shocking if he was on the juice, he really bulked up all of a sudden in one offseason and his power numbers really shot up.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:50 AM   #13
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5
Right, but the MLBPA cannot flat out reject the offer because of how the public will perceive it. The high number will almost certainly be nogotiated, probably to half. I agree that Selig is a goon, but atleast he did something.
In addition, if they dont accept a tougher penalty, congress will put a tougher penalty on them, so they are kinda stuck in that regard. One way or another, there is going to be a tough penalty for roids.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:48 PM   #14
EEich
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
Not to change the subject but what do you guys think of these stories about Lenny Dykstra using roids and betting on baseball??

Nails used to be one of my favorite players back in the day, I guess it wouldn't be shocking if he was on the juice, he really bulked up all of a sudden in one offseason and his power numbers really shot up.
Being a Phillies fan... I always kinda suspected something was up when he had that one (and only one) monster year with the Phils.
EEich is offline   Reply With Quote