Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Bucket's Breakdown Week 1.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-12-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
Bucket
Playmaker

Bucket's Breakdown Week 1.

The Good

Rex Grossman : Rex seemed to put the doubters to rest for at least one week, and after a slow 0-4 start, Rex started to get into a good poise and produce some great throws for 4 potential scoring drives. The fade route to AA was one of the best throws iv'e seen from a quarterback in a Redskins uniform in 10 years. Even though the offensive line gave up some "lookout" blocks for Rex and gave him a pounding. He still stepped up most of the time and took the hit while making the throw. The fumble was bad, but I couldn't put it all on Rex after watching the play again. Trent Williams has to do a better job which i'll get to more below.

Rex has taken the leadership role. Listening to him post game and taking the blame for most of the sacks and not blaming the Oline is only proof that Shannahan is making the right choice for our under center general.

DeAngelo Hall : For all the critics he's had from last year and in the offseason. Hall played lights out today. He made big plays that wont show up on the stat sheet which seems to matter to most of his critics, but the blitz on 3rd down, and the pass break up on 2nd and long was 2 of the bright spots that come to mind.

Ryan Kerrigan : Wow, did this rookie have a great first game. His INT is one of the things I really don't even need to mention. The way he filled gaps and made plays one the run was great. Early in the game when Eli ran a playfake that made most of the defense bite. Kerrigan stayed strong and covered his man in the flats while the delay blitz got there. Oh, and the INT/TD was great too!

Fred Davis : I don't think i really need to get in to how great Fred Davis looked. He did really well stretching the field and sitting in the zones and not going down easy as he put on the extra yards. His speed looked great and if we were not so deep at WR I would say he would make a great possession WR in the NFL.

The Bad

Offensive Line : The failed to open up holes for Hightower to get started in the 2nd half, and really blew a lot of assignments on blitz pickups to leave Rex open for punishment. One thing I noticed today was that the redskins only ran 1 screen pass, and I thought we would run a lot more screens with the Giants known for being so aggressive. We need to hit the film room hard and fix our issues at the Oline asap.

Graham Gano : I don't know what to say about Gano really besides he missed his only FG attempt in the game and it was a big one. It was our first drive into scoring range, and really put more pressure on our defense through out the game because I kept thinking.. "It should be 10 point game right now". His kickoffs were outstanding and everything else Graham did was impressive, but if he's not making points for the team then we need to bring in someone who will.

The Ugly

Trent Williams : I already spoke about the offensive line, but I felt like Silverback needed to get pointed out this game. He's looking more bust then game breaker at this point, and I know it's only one game right now, but in the NFL you're really only as good as your last game to a lot of critics and he will be the topic of conversation in the Oline film room. He struggles really bad against the speed DE's, and was getting out moved by Pierre tonight who is really just a poor mans version of Dwight Freeney. If this issue isn't resolved quickly and he doesn't improve. We may take a step back on the rebuilding process in the Oline where we thought we had already addressed the issue.

Player of the Game

Rex Grossman : Guy played lights out behind center, and even though he seemed to be peeling himself off the canvas on every pass play. he still hung in there and gave us the push we needed to overcome the Giants and move to 1-0.

Last edited by Bucket; 09-12-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-12-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Re: Bucket's Breakdown Week 1.

I wanted to come into this thread and rip it's derivative nature, but I appreciate proper formatting and grammar to much. In short I like this thread.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
Bucket
Playmaker

Well thanks Dirtbag! Haha, I use to do this on another redskins fan page that is long gone, and figured since iv'e been here for a while I would allow my insight to indulge my fellow fans.

Besides.. I'm sitting here at work bored.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:54 AM   #4
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I wanted to come into this thread and rip it's derivative nature, but I appreciate proper formatting and grammar to much. In short I like this thread.
Uh, you mean you appreciate....grammar too much?
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:06 AM   #5
saden1
MVP

I have never seen a player with longer arms than Pierre. My god, he has broom sticks for arms.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:16 AM   #6
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Uh, you mean you appreciate....grammar too much?
I should clarify. Grammar for me means you tried. You capitalized the start of sentences, took the time to actually spell out the word 'you', and don't have walls of text. You would think these would be basic request, but in today's day and age it's actually asking for a lot. Forget to add an 'o' on too or using the word your instead of you're when appropriate doesn't get deducted in my book.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 09-12-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:31 AM   #7
Bucket
Playmaker

There was a report that the team was scheduled to have tomorrow off, but London Fletcher told the team that they were coming in to work.

I love the direction this team is going, and I wish Fletcher was 28 again
Old 09-12-2011, 06:58 AM   #8
budw38
Playmaker

Nice thread Bucket . I just hope we get better on the OL , pass protection was bad most of the game IMO , and hope outside of Kerrigan and Neild we get some push in the pass rush . Big win against the D. Thomas NYG's .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #9
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
The Good

Fred Davis : I don't think i really need to get in to how great Fred Davis looked. He did really well stretching the field and sitting in the zones and not going down easy as he put on the extra yards. His speed looked great and if we were not so deep at WR I would say he would make a great possession WR in the NFL.
I know Cooley has been banged up, but even while healthy, teams are either doing a good job gameplanning to remove him as a factor, or he's starting to slow down as a player. This has been going on for a season or two now. I know you can be banned as a fan to say something like that, but it's been a long time since Chris Cooley has been a consistent threat.

I'll bet by year's end, Fred Davis will overtake Cooley the primary TE target.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #10
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

I think ole silverback got poisoned by old cp's work habits and party ways in his rookie year. Hopefully now he will recommit himself to his craft. Shanny won't keep him out there for long if things don't change.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #11
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
I know Cooley has been banged up, but even while healthy, teams are either doing a good job gameplanning to remove him as a factor, or he's starting to slow down as a player. This has been going on for a season or two now. I know you can be banned as a fan to say something like that, but it's been a long time since Chris Cooley has been a consistent threat.

I'll bet by year's end, Fred Davis will overtake Cooley the primary TE target.

He had one of his best season's last year and that was with McNabb throwing.

2010 Washington Redskins 16 15 77 849 11.0 35 3 -- -- -- -- -- 3 1
2009 Washington Redskins 7 7 29 332 11.4 25 2 -- -- -- -- -- 1 0
2008 Washington Redskins 16 16 83 849 10.2 28 1 -- -- -- -- -- 3 2
2007 Washington Redskins 16 16 66 786 11.9 39T 8 -- -- -- -- -- 1 0
2006 Washington Redskins 16 16 57 734 12.9 66T 6 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
2005 Washington Redskins 16 16 71 774 10.9 32 7 -- -- -- -- -- 3 1
2004 Washington Redskins 16 9 37 314 8.5 31 6 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Old 09-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #12
saden1
MVP

I saw so many two TE looks from the skins in this game than I have ever seen. I like. Seriously, Davis looks beastly...so fast, so smooth, so strong.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #13
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
I saw so many two TE looks from the skins in this game than I have ever seen. I like. Seriously, Davis looks beastly...so fast, so smooth, so strong.
yeah once CC47 gets up to speed going to be hard to gameplan us.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #14
Bucket
Playmaker

Yeah I still have full faith that Cooley has a lot of play left in the tank. I'm excited to see our 2/3 TE sets when he's fully healthy
Old 09-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #15
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
He had one of his best season's last year and that was with McNabb throwing.

2010 Washington Redskins 16 15 77 849 11.0 35 3 -- -- -- -- -- 3 1
2009 Washington Redskins 7 7 29 332 11.4 25 2 -- -- -- -- -- 1 0
2008 Washington Redskins 16 16 83 849 10.2 28 1 -- -- -- -- -- 3 2
2007 Washington Redskins 16 16 66 786 11.9 39T 8 -- -- -- -- -- 1 0
2006 Washington Redskins 16 16 57 734 12.9 66T 6 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
2005 Washington Redskins 16 16 71 774 10.9 32 7 -- -- -- -- -- 3 1
2004 Washington Redskins 16 9 37 314 8.5 31 6 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
As a possession receiver, he's fine. But look at his scoring -- as a touchdown threat he's been practically nonexistant. Again, I know that the slightest critique of Chris Cooley will send most fans in an apoplectic fit of rage. So it's certainly not a popular thing to say -- but I stand by my prediction -- (and that's all it is ... a prediction), Fred Davis will be more of a significant scoring threat than Chris Cooley when it's all said and done. And I'll take a healthy Fred Davis over a healthy Cooley right now.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote