Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

NBC Sports Network's "The Lights"

Other Sports

Old 08-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

NBC Sports Network's "The Lights"

Anyone checked out this new morning show on NBC Sports Network (formerly known as Versus, formerly known as OLN, formerly known as Outdoor Life Network)?

Breaking News - NBC Sports Network to Debut "The 'Lights," a Morning Highlights & Scores Show | TheFutonCritic.com

It's interesting. 20 minute loop of highlights, without the commentary, analysis, etc. NBCSN is trying to pitch it as the anti-SportsCenter. Just instant highlights for people trying to get ready in the morning. I've been watching it, curious to know how sustainable this model will be though

If you need to know if you get NBCSN, find out here

NBC Sports TV Listings & Livestream Schedule - Sports- NBC Sports

Advertisements
Old 08-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: NBC Sports Network's "The Lights"

I do not receive that network on my Dish service.

Versus was very hockey-heavy, right? Is the new network that way or more of an all-sports source?

I really only watch hockey during the playoffs.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

What time does it come on? I might check it out if it comes on during the time I'm getting ready.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

On from 7-9am.

NBCSN is aiming to be an all-sports 24 hour network (similar to the plans CBS Sports Network, and probably soon Fox Sports Network have). They're limited though in that they don't have many league rights.

Right now they're heavy on Olympics reruns coverage. They also have Pro Bull Riding, and Major League Lacrosse. Additionally, they have a show called NBC Sports Talk at 6pm which discusses the day's topics. Plus deals with NFL and MLB for behind the scenes shows and an E:60 type show with Sports Illustrated. Plus a lot of cycling, horse racing, and outdoors shows. They'll make a push for sports like MLB, NBA when those deals come up. And will likely give Dan Patrick and maybe Michelle Beadle their own shows.

CBS Sports Network is big on college sports, particularly college football reruns. Also Tennis, Pro Bull Riding, and they're banking hard on Jim Rome and Tim Brando.

As someone in the business, but also a general sports fan, I'm very interested to see the growth of these networks. And I think competition for ESPN is a good thing. Even thought it when I was there (so do people at ESPN).

I spent over year being recruited by and "negotiating" with NBC Sports to be part of this network relaunch, but we could never agree to a solid deal. And I've got good friends running the new CBS Sports so on a personal level I'm keen to see what happens.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Damnit. I try to be in the car by 6:45 at the latest. Still though, I hope it goes well. There was a time where I would try to catch ESPNews for the highlights when I was getting ready, but I couldn't stand sifting through the commentary and/or waiting almost the entire half hour to see if the highlights of what I wanted to see (i.e. Caps/Naps/etc.) made it onto the broadcast. If this new show turns into a straight "strictly highlights" deal I would be much more interested in that.

I see from your post that they don't have many league rights though, so I do hope they can at least get the rights for footage from the big 4 sports leagues in America, as those are the ones I'm most interested in.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Damnit. I try to be in the car by 6:45 at the latest. Still though, I hope it goes well. There was a time where I would try to catch ESPNews for the highlights when I was getting ready, but I couldn't stand sifting through the commentary and/or waiting almost the entire half hour to see if the highlights of what I wanted to see (i.e. Caps/Naps/etc.) made it onto the broadcast. If this new show turns into a straight "strictly highlights" deal I would be much more interested in that.

I see from your post that they don't have many league rights though, so I do hope they can at least get the rights for footage from the big 4 sports leagues in America, as those are the ones I'm most interested in.
They have highlight rights, just not game rights. Right now, the show works because there isn't much going on in the sports world. But fast forward to early September-pennant races, NFL, college football, US Open tennis. Will be interesting to see how they create just a 20 minute show out of that
Old 08-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
They have highlight rights, just not game rights. Right now, the show works because there isn't much going on in the sports world. But fast forward to early September-pennant races, NFL, college football, US Open tennis. Will be interesting to see how they create just a 20 minute show out of that
They will probably have to do like my local country station:

This is there sports report for real:

"Last night Phillie's win; O's lose, Ravens won, Redskins lost and Eagles lost. That is sports now on to the weather."

My work buddy and me laugh about it all the time. Even when the Phillie's won the world series it was still Phillie's won last night nothing more.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
I assume they'd probably end up giving the most coverage based on the popularity of the sport/whatever gets the highest ratings. In which case it'd probably end up more like ESPN than I think.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

NFL would take priority, after that I'm sure a variety of factors would come into play. For various reasons, ESPNews could not succeed as a highlights only network, but I think NBCSN has a potential to reach an unsatisfed market. Contrary to belief, I'm not naive or blind to ESPNs weaknesses, will be interesting to see if NBC can expose this one
Old 08-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
NFL would take priority, after that I'm sure a variety of factors would come into play. For various reasons, ESPNews could not succeed as a highlights only network, but I think NBCSN has a potential to reach an unsatisfed market. Contrary to belief, I'm not naive or blind to ESPNs weaknesses, will be interesting to see if NBC can expose this one
Are you sure? That seems to be popular opinion around here. I'm not going to get into it about Skip Bayless with you though, obviously you know him better having worked with him, but I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing when he puts insane comments out there.

As far as this goes, it will be interesting to see if this can pick up the viewership needed for sustained success. I certainly hope it succeeds, it would be nice to have options other than ESPN to catch highlight packages on.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #11
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

CBS Sports Network throwing its hat in the NFL studio show game

CBS Press Express | CBS SPORTS NETWORK LAUNCHES FIRST-EVER NFL PROGRAMMING WITH “NFL MONDAY QB” DEBUTING MONDAY, SEPT. 10
Old 08-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #12
Monkeydad
Living Legend

^ I do have CBS Sports Network. Used to be a dedicated college sports channel.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #13
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
^ I do have CBS Sports Network. Used to be a dedicated college sports channel.
Yeah used to be College Sports TV and later CBS College Sports. They still consider college sports, particularly college football, their bread and butter but want to evolve beyond that.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #14
jdlea
Playmaker

I'm somewhat interested in the concept, but my mornings don't lend themselves to watching this show. I'm out the door by 6:30 most mornings, so it won't be on when I'm getting ready for work.

The other downside is that I eat my breakfast at work, so I don't really "sit down" at home in the mornings. If they started it earlier, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to turning it on while I'm brushing my teeth or getting dressed.

Anything has to be better than ESPN's up-to-the-minute Tebow coverage. I really like ESPN (it's on my shortlist of companies I'd move to work for), but this training camp and NFL Preseason coverage is getting a little brutal.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #15
Monkeydad
Living Legend

I never understood people who eat breakfast at work. There's a ton of them in my office.

How about coming into work and start working?

I can understand if you're running late and need to bring something in on occasion, but there are ladies who come in and literally cook breakfast in the toaster oven and microwave. Half the time they burn it too because someone calls their desk assuming they're ready to work since they're in.