Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Board Management > Playbook

New vbulletin features

Playbook

Old 05-01-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
MTK
\m/

New vbulletin features

As some of you may have noticed we have a bunch of new features now available due to the recent vbulletin upgrade. I'm still working through them myself right now and trying to figure out what they are and how to use them. The best thing I can do is point you to the new FAQ on the site.

http://www.redskinswarpath.com/faq.php

Here are some of the key new features:

http://www.redskinswarpath.com/faq.p...e#faq_vb3_tags

http://www.redskinswarpath.com/faq.p...b3_quick_links

http://www.redskinswarpath.com/faq.p..._notifications

http://www.redskinswarpath.com/faq.p...public_profile

http://www.redskinswarpath.com/faq.p...profile_custom

http://www.redskinswarpath.com/faq.p..._social_groups

http://www.redskinswarpath.com/faq.p...iends_contacts

http://www.redskinswarpath.com/faq.p...faq_vb3_albums

Advertisements
Old 05-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #2
MTK
\m/

Re: New vbulletin features

By the way if anyone knows how this social bookmarking stuff works please let me know.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:49 PM   #3
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I recommend everyone try to add Tags to the threads they start. Just two or three keywords that highlight the content of the thread.

So when people are reading a Cooley thread you've started, for example, and they want to find more Cooley related threads they can click on the "Cooley" tag and find similar threads about Cooley (so long as those are tagged as well)

It will take a while to build it up of course. But if we start getting in the habit of it I think it will really help.

Keep in mind this won't replace the general search fucntion, just complement it.

What are tags?

Tags are a useful way to search for threads with similar subject matter and content. This compliments the normal search system, which searches only for certain words or phrases and/or posts by specific users.

To use tags, you add words or phrases to threads to help describe the content. For instance, if the subject matter is 'photography' then you can add the tag 'photography' to the tag list. But you could also add tags like 'digital image', and 'camera' (depending, of course, on the nature of the thread).

This will categorize this thread with all other threads that have matching tags, whether or not they have the word 'photography' in them.

Who adds the tags?

Tags are initially added to threads by the user who started the thread. Other users may also be able to add and remove tags.

How do I use tags?

Tags are displayed in a box near the bottom of a thread page. Clicking on a tag will allow you to view other threads that have the same tag - and which may be related. Clicking on the word 'Tags' in the top of the box will take you to an overview page with a 'tag cloud.'

This cloud allows you to see which tags are the most popular - the larger the word, the more times it has been used on threads within the board. There is also another tag cloud on the advanced search page that shows you the tags that have been searched for (or clicked on) the most.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:24 PM   #4
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

I really like the groups feature. In which case does that mean we can start a Jordy Nelson Fan Club, or maybe a group called Michael Westbrooks Entourage?

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:41 PM   #5
Stuck in TX
Impact Rookie

one thing I have noticed is that the link "home" has been replaced with "User CP". I loved being able to click home to get to the homepage, and now I have to click and scroll down.....

REMEMBER VT
Go Hokies
Stuck in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:43 PM   #6
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
By the way if anyone knows how this social bookmarking stuff works please let me know.
any particular questions that you have on it?
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:45 PM   #7
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
any particular questions that you have on it?
I think it be helpful if you gave the whole group a general summary on social bookmarking. How it's used, its benefits, best bookmark sites, things like that.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:24 PM   #8
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I think it be helpful if you gave the whole group a general summary on social bookmarking. How it's used, its benefits, best bookmark sites, things like that.
Social bookmarking is kind of like having your browser favorites online for others to see. There are many ways that certain sites allow you to display them such as publicly, privately, to certain groups, etc.

Many people use those sites to find people with similar interests as themselves or merely to expand upon a topic that they're looking into.

There are 11ty billion SB sites out there nowadays; everything from Digg (any topic), Technorati (tech stuff), del.icio.us (anything), stumbleupon (interesting one here, you can install the stumbleupon toolbar and it will direct you to things that it thinks that you'll like based on your browsing, input into the site, etc).

The social bookmarking option that came with the 3.7.0 release basically does what DiggIt and other similar vbull plugins did, allows you to release something from the board (typically a thread) to these social bookmarking sites. Say you put it into Digg under Sports, people browsing sports headlines may come across your posting (let's pretend we were the first to put the Vince Young drunk pictures onto one of the social bookmarking sites). That in return creates a good amount of incoming traffic to the site, helping it grow and the assets that come with that (increased activity, revenue, etc). If they like what you're doing enough they may modify their RSS feed to include your articles, add you as a friend, etc.

Social Bookmarking has been one of the leading methods for internet marketing, both relevant and well, spam included. With a niche site like this it would help to make these posts, join groups on the sites pertaining to american football, NFL, Redskins especially, etc and be active within the community, if nothing more than dropping a few comments and posting up some articles (or just submitting a thread/post already started since it's been made so easy).

So if someone has a breaking story, good news, a funny commentary, you have the chance of being noticed and the benefits listed before (unless it brings in Cowboys fans).
Old 06-06-2008, 01:59 PM   #9
JohnvanH
Camp Scrub

thanks
JohnvanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:01 PM   #10
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnvanH View Post
thanks
ok that makes two 1 word posts by you

what's the deal?
Old 06-16-2008, 10:16 PM   #11
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
ok that makes two 1 word posts by you

what's the deal?
You're being overly paranoid. He's showing appreciation for the upgrade.