Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

OH NO! Where will Gitmo go?

Debating with the enemy

Old 05-20-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

OH NO! Where will Gitmo go?

Spend multiple mil to close, and another for the new one........
Senators reject closing Gitmo prison without plan - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

Is it such a great idea to close Gitmo?
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-20-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
saden1
MVP

Re: OH NO! Where will Gitmo go?

Yes, it should be closed. There are communities in America willing to take these guys because it would create jobs and boost their economy. I mean, these guys are stilling going to be in prison not roaming the community...why wouldn't you want them if you live in a depressed community?

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Yes, it should be closed. There are communities in America willing to take these guys because it would create jobs and boost their economy. I mean, these guys are stilling going to be in prison not roaming the community...why wouldn't you want them if you live in a depressed community?
Yes, but the government would have to purchase it and be run by it due to the fact that Montana prohibits out of state prisoners.

Unless Montana changes their law, that nice new facility will be empty for a while. I find that to be odd cause many people have complained there is not enough jails...well, here is an empty one to use...use it. But it's not up to me I guess.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
Spend multiple mil to close, and another for the new one........
Senators reject closing Gitmo prison without plan - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

Shouldn't Obama focus on more important things????
Old 05-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #5
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
shouldn't obama focus on more important things????
nooooooo.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
nooooooo.
lol.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
firstdown
Living Legend

I know why not send them to the Blackwater Training Center in NC. I heard they where looking for a few good people to play the role of terrorist to try out their new equipment.

Or we could allow them to work off their time at the Smithfield Food Packing plant.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #8
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

I have a better I idea, how about we shoot them and call it a day?
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:41 PM   #9
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
I have a better I idea, how about we shoot them and call it a day?
Well that was kind of my point in sending them to Blackwater.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #10
Missin21
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post

No not really. And I don't think bringing accused terrorists into the country to imprison them here is smart either.
Missin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #11
djnemo65
Playmaker

I don't wanna get involved in this, but I have to say that the "no terrorists in my state" argument is the dumbest piece of f'ing retarded tripe I have ever heard. Do you think these people are going to rip off someone's face and escape like Hannibal Lecter? Are they going to coordinate a bombing attack on your kid's high school from solitary? You can debate both the legitimacy and efficacy of black site prisons and places like Gitmo, but the "keep em out of my town" refrain is just a phony political soundbite cooked up to appeal to knuckleheads.

For example, look at this recent dialogue between Senator Reid and a reporter:

REID: I’m saying that the United States Senate, Democrats and Republicans, do not want terrorists to be released in the United States. That’s very clear.

QUESTION: No one’s talking about releasing them. We’re talking about putting them in prison somewhere in the United States.

REID: Can’t put them in prison unless you release them.

QUESTION: Sir, are you going to clarify that a little bit? …

REID: I can’t make it any more clear than the statement I have given to you. We will never allow terrorists to be released in the United States.

QUESTION: But Senator, Senator, it’s not that you’re not being clear when you say you don’t want them released. But could you say — would you be all right with them being transferred to an American prison?

REID: Not in the United States.

Am I missing something here? What is wrong with people!?
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #12
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
I don't wanna get involved in this, but I have to say that the "no terrorists in my state" argument is the dumbest piece of f'ing retarded tripe I have ever heard. Do you think these people are going to rip off someone's face and escape like Hannibal Lecter? Are they going to coordinate a bombing attack on your kid's high school from solitary? You can debate both the legitimacy and efficacy of black site prisons and places like Gitmo, but the "keep em out of my town" refrain is just a phony political soundbite cooked up to appeal to knuckleheads.

For example, look at this recent dialogue between Senator Reid and a reporter:

REID: I’m saying that the United States Senate, Democrats and Republicans, do not want terrorists to be released in the United States. That’s very clear.

QUESTION: No one’s talking about releasing them. We’re talking about putting them in prison somewhere in the United States.

REID: Can’t put them in prison unless you release them.

QUESTION: Sir, are you going to clarify that a little bit? …

REID: I can’t make it any more clear than the statement I have given to you. We will never allow terrorists to be released in the United States.

QUESTION: But Senator, Senator, it’s not that you’re not being clear when you say you don’t want them released. But could you say — would you be all right with them being transferred to an American prison?

REID: Not in the United States.

Yeah, I heard that exchange too. What does he mean by saying we can't transfer them without releasing them? Of course you can. As far as state laws denying out of state prisoners, what about federal prisons? How can a state tell the federal government what prisoners it can and cannot allow in a federal prison?

I never quite understood how this all got started anyway. What was wrong with Guantanamo Bay to begin with? Apart from the alleged prisoner abuse? Just because someone gets smacked around by some guards at a jail doesn't mean the jail should be closed down.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:56 PM   #13
Missin21
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post

Maybe. I'm not sure I understand the exchange with the senator or why he believes they will be released to be brought to an American prison.

However, the way I see it that there have been countless gang members, drug lords, & mafiosi that have been put in some of our "top notch" prisons (I believe they consider Pelican Bay as one of the best) & yet they still are able to run things from there. John Gotti had to be placed in the highest maximum security prison in the country in solitary confinement because of how much power he wielded. Many top criminals GAIN power from prison, not lose it.

Why someone would think that putting people accused of trying to commit terrorist acts against America in American prisons wouldn't be a bad idea is beyond me. We don't live in a perfect society & not one law put in place today is useful to or for everyone. But keeping people OUT of the country that would like to kill every last one of us (yes, even those who would like to liberate these jerks, they would like to kill them as well~we are ALL infidels & enemies to them...period) seems like a better idea then imprisoning them here where they would more then likely strengthen, rather then rot. There are far too many examples of this happening with criminals with less notoriety in our prisons today & in the past.

Putting them in American prisons is asking for trouble we don't want or need. And regardless, I don't think rolling the dice with our safety like that is smart at all. JMO
Missin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:00 PM   #14
steveo395
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Yeah, I heard that exchange too. What does he mean by saying we can't transfer them without releasing them? Of course you can. As far as state laws denying out of state prisoners, what about federal prisons? How can a state tell the federal government what prisoners it can and cannot allow in a federal prison?

I never quite understood how this all got started anyway. What was wrong with Guantanamo Bay to begin with? Apart from the alleged prisoner abuse? Just because someone gets smacked around by some guards at a jail doesn't mean the jail should be closed down.
Yea I don't get that either. If you don't want any more torture, just stop doing it. Why do you have to close the prison down altogether just because of what happened in the past. If nobody wants them in the U.S., just leave them in Guantanamo and give them a trial.

steveo395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:04 PM   #15
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Perhaps we can outsource Gitmo to Siberia?
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote