Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

New York, New York

Parking Lot

Old 12-14-2007, 09:58 AM   #1
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

New York, New York

Little help here. My 18 yr old brother in law is up from Mexico and he wants to check out NYC this weekend. I figure we'll head up early tomorrow morning. We'll do all of the normal touristy stuff, but I was wondering if anyone who lives in NY has any suggestions for places to check out and places to eat. I know there's a million things but I'd like to have an idea before I get there...

So far, I'm planning on the following:

Museum of Natural History
Empire State Building
Times Square
Rockefeller Center
Statue of Liberty
9/11 Site
5th Avenue Shops...

I've been to all of these a few times but I figure those are the main places you "have to" see your first time... Anyway, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-14-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Re: New York, New York

I think there is a good game being played Sunday Night up there.
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:04 PM   #3
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Depending on the weather, a fun thing to do is to walk down Mulberry street--which is the main street of Little Italy to Canal street, which is the heart of China Town. And then eat either Italian or Chinese, depending on what you feel like. Any guide book will have lists of the good places to eat and how to get there. Very cool to see and great food.

If you're into the art museum thing, the Met and MOMA are two of the finest art museums on the planet. I think the MET, especially is amazing--tons of classic things, and not just paintings--amazing historical things. They've got an entire Egyptian temple set up there. But Natural History is amazing as well, and may be enough on the museum tip, if that's not your main thing.

Again, depending on the weather, seeing some of Central Park is worthwhile. Macy's on 34th street between 6th and 7th is great--huge old building, great shopping. Finally, Grand Central Station is an amazing thing to see--42nd and Park. Plus, there's good shopping there.

You won't have any trouble finding things to do. Just walking around is pretty amazing--the size of the place is pretty overwhelming. And the subways are worth riding--an interesting expereince, no doubt.

Have a good time!
Old 12-14-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWsleep View Post
Depending on the weather, a fun thing to do is to walk down Mulberry street--which is the main street of Little Italy to Canal street, which is the heart of China Town. And then eat either Italian or Chinese, depending on what you feel like. Any guide book will have lists of the good places to eat and how to get there. Very cool to see and great food.

If you're into the art museum thing, the Met and MOMA are two of the finest art museums on the planet. I think the MET, especially is amazing--tons of classic things, and not just paintings--amazing historical things. They've got an entire Egyptian temple set up there. But Natural History is amazing as well, and may be enough on the museum tip, if that's not your main thing.

Again, depending on the weather, seeing some of Central Park is worthwhile. Macy's on 34th street between 6th and 7th is great--huge old building, great shopping. Finally, Grand Central Station is an amazing thing to see--42nd and Park. Plus, there's good shopping there.

You won't have any trouble finding things to do. Just walking around is pretty amazing--the size of the place is pretty overwhelming. And the subways are worth riding--an interesting expereince, no doubt.

Have a good time!
Thanks, yeah the Met is definitely cool, I've been there a few times. I don't know how into the whole museum deal her brother is going to be though... FYI, I'll be in Houston in a few weeks (christmas week) so I'll be sight seeing down there too...

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:18 PM   #5
jsarno
Franchise Player

Sparks is a great restaurant. I ate there a few years ago and loved it. It's on E. 46th if I remember correctly. Great steaks!
Old 12-14-2007, 01:21 PM   #6
JWsleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
Thanks, yeah the Met is definitely cool, I've been there a few times. I don't know how into the whole museum deal her brother is going to be though... FYI, I'll be in Houston in a few weeks (christmas week) so I'll be sight seeing down there too...
And I'll be in DC! I only moved down here in August, so I'm not all that up on Houston sight-seeing. But it's a good town.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
dblanch66
The Starter

Arturo's Pizza - Houston & A

Red Eye Grill - 57th and 7th

Sammy's Romanian - 2nd and Christie

Jack the Ripper Pub - 4th and 4th

Zabars Deli - upper 80's west. Can't remember the exact street.

Carnegie Deli - 7th Ave.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:16 AM   #8
JWsleep

Katz's deli--a huge cafeteria-like place, been there for 60+ years--hand sliced pastrami and corned beef, etc. Great pictures of celebs who've been there through the years with the owners. A real old-school institution, not at all touristy. On the corner of Houston and Ludlow near 1st ave. (Getting hungry just thinking about it!)

Sammy's Romanian is amazing too--don't skimp on the schmaltz!

Great bars just below Houston on Ludlow as well.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:12 PM   #9
jbcjr14
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblanch66 View Post
Arturo's Pizza - Houston & A

Red Eye Grill - 57th and 7th

Sammy's Romanian - 2nd and Christie

Jack the Ripper Pub - 4th and 4th

Zabars Deli - upper 80's west. Can't remember the exact street.

Carnegie Deli - 7th Ave.
Some of the best crab stuffed shrimp I have ever eaten was at the Red Eye Grill a few years ago.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:31 AM   #10
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I think there is a good game being played Sunday Night up there.
No, the Knicks had off. :cheeky-sm

But, if they wanted to head over to Pew Jersey, there was a good game over there.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote