Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

What I saw today - not detailed

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

What I saw today - not detailed

Levi Jones was absolutely not able to contain Cole and it didn't look like he was getting much help, even against only 4 man rushes.

Campbell is still putting the ball in the wrong spots too often. Dropped below 60pct for the first time since the Tampa Bay game. Asante Samuel was able to capitalize on 2 poor throws and turn those into 6 points overall.

We finally started scoring TDs. After which, we decided that they were unnecessary. Our playcalling became stale, too many runs to the middle after they began shutting that down. The line couldn't get the push that they were and we were stopped for several short gains. That last red zone attempt was pathetic, when you have the chance to go up 2 scores, you go up 2 scores.

We had some good passing plays that we also gave up on calling. It seems that we're afraid of giving Thomas more than a couple of catches downfield and would rather give him screens instead. Nobody had more than 4 catches or more than 50 yards receiving. We got our two 20+ yd passes to Kelly and didn't look at him anymore than that. Davis should have been targeted more too, especially seeing what he can do after the catch.. he broke so many tackles on that sideline run. It makes me wonder if Kelly and Thomas could be putting up similar numbers to Jackson/Maclin, Harvin/Rice, etc if they were given the chance to make plays/catches.

Ganther looked better today; averaged almost 7 a run today.

Tryon did better in coverage today but we gave up too many big passes. Where the hell was the coverage on Jackson's 2 TDs? Smoot just let him run by on the 2nd with Landry already on another assignment on that side of the field. Was he expecting McNabb to pack it in and run? Thought he had safety help? I called Tryon getting an INT today but I thought that it'd be purely coverage and not off of a tip, I'll take it either way.

Special teams and defensive efforts contributed to a lot of our points, it was nice hearing Wilson's name called a few times. Too bad we can't get the ball on their side of the field every game.

For the second game in a row we gave up too many yards through the D-Line; we can't count on having Haynesworth to be able to tackle a guy.

Last edited by tryfuhl; 11-29-2009 at 08:02 PM.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-29-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: What I saw today - not detailed

Well we are 3-8 so nothing surprises me about this team anymore!
Old 11-29-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

I saw the offense go out with a somewhat solid performance given the bad hand we've been dealt.

I saw the defensive line get pushed around, the linebackers have a solid performance as usual, and the secondary look like a bunch of high school players and that D.Hall is actually sorely missed covering the #1 receiver. Smoot nor Rogers is cut out for it.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
over the mountain
Playmaker

rant enclosed in here -

Last edited by over the mountain; 11-29-2009 at 07:20 PM.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Levi Jones was absolutely not able to contain Cole and it didn't look like he was getting much help, even against only 4 man rushes.

Campbell is still putting the ball in the wrong spots too often. Dropped below 60pct for the first time since the Tampa Bay game. Asante Samuel was able to capitalize on 2 poor throws and turn those into 6 points overall.

We finally started scoring TDs. After which, we decided that they were unnecessary. Our playcalling became stale, too many runs to the middle after they began shutting that down. The line couldn't get the push that they were and we were stopped for several short gains. That last red zone attempt was pathetic, when you have the chance to go up 2 scores, you go up 2 scores.
We had some good passing plays that we also gave up on calling. It seems that we're afraid of giving Thomas more than a couple of catches downfield and would rather give him screens instead. Nobody had more than 4 catches or more than 50 yards receiving. We got our two 20+ yd passes to Kelly and didn't look at him anymore than that. Davis should have been targeted more to, especially seeing what he can do after the catch.. he broke so many tackles on that sideline run. It makes me wonder if Kelly and Thomas could be putting up similar numbers to Jackson/Maclin, Harvin/Rice, etc if they were given the chance to make plays/catches.

Ganther looked better today; averaged almost 7 a run today.

Tryon did better in coverage today but we gave up too many big passes. Where the hell was the coverage on Jackson's 2 TDs? Smoot just let him run by on the 2nd with Landry already on another assignment on that side of the field. Was he expecting McNabb to pack it in and run? Thought he had safety help? I called Tryon getting an INT today but I thought that it'd be purely coverage and not off of a tip, I'll take it either way.

Special teams and defensive contributed to a lot of our points, it was nice hearing Wilson's name called a few times. Too bad we can't get the ball on their side of the field every game.

For the second game in a row we gave up too many yards through the D-Line; we can't count on having Haynesworth to be able to tackle a guy.
Yep, on that drive, the coaching staff (and apparently the announcers) were quite content with a field goal. That turned out to be pivotal in favor of the Eagles.

I'll never understand that ultra-conservative mentality at this point in the season knowing where we are. You should never, EVER have the outlook that a field goal is fine. It seemed like that's what they were going for from the start. The Patriots don't do that. The Saints and Colts don't do that.

But hey, that's why we're 3-8 I guess...
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
davy
Impact Rookie

Washington Redskins at 13:32

1-10-PHI 23 (13:32) J.Campbell pass short left to M.Sellers ran ob at PHI 11 for 12 yards (W.Witherspoon).

1-10-PHI 11 (13:11) M.Mason up the middle to PHI 9 for 2 yards (M.Patterson).

2-8-PHI 9 (12:33) M.Mason left end to PHI 7 for 2 yards (A.Dixon; S.Brown).
Timeout #1 by WAS at 11:51.

3-6-PHI 7 (11:51) J.Campbell pass incomplete short right to F.Davis.

4-6-PHI 7 (11:45) S.Suisham 25 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-E.Albright, Holder-H.Smith.

Oh look, a pass play on first down at the 23, yeah, ultra conservative. Obviously playing for a field goal.

Sheesh!
Old 11-29-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
Skins fan 44
Impact Rookie

I think the Kelly, Thomas and Davis are getting better. The O Line seems to be trying harder even though they need over hauled. When is Colt coming back? Is he out the season?
Old 11-29-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy View Post

1-10-PHI 23 (13:32) J.Campbell pass short left to M.Sellers ran ob at PHI 11 for 12 yards (W.Witherspoon).

4-6-PHI 7 (11:45) S.Suisham 25 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-E.Albright, Holder-H.Smith.

Oh look, a pass play on first down at the 23, yeah, ultra conservative. Obviously playing for a field goal.

Sheesh!

Yes, it was ultra conservative. They chose not to attack the endzone. This wasn't the first time either.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
perez24
Camp Scrub

I think the real impact of Haynesworth is felt more when he's not playing. I cannot imagine that the 2 point conversion or some of the gashing runs up the middle would have been attempted or been as successful had he been playing.
perez24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:05 PM   #10
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by perez24 View Post
I think the real impact of Haynesworth is felt more when he's not playing. I cannot imagine that the 2 point conversion or some of the gashing runs up the middle would have been attempted or been as successful had he been playing.
Agree 100%.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:06 PM   #11
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy View Post

Sheesh!
Which of those two passes were anywhere near the end zone? Why were we running to the spots that weren't effective at that point in the game?

Two little dink passes in that area IS conservative. Would you like to restate your argument or rescind it?
Old 11-29-2009, 08:06 PM   #12
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins fan 44 View Post
I think the Kelly, Thomas and Davis are getting better. The O Line seems to be trying harder even though they need over hauled. When is Colt coming back? Is he out the season?
Injured Reserve - not allowed to be on the active roster.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:23 PM   #13
redskins5044
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Yep, on that drive, the coaching staff (and apparently the announcers) were quite content with a field goal. That turned out to be pivotal in favor of the Eagles.

I'll never understand that ultra-conservative mentality at this point in the season knowing where we are. You should never, EVER have the outlook that a field goal is fine. It seemed like that's what they were going for from the start. The Patriots don't do that. The Saints and Colts don't do that.

But hey, that's why we're 3-8 I guess...
i have another view of this, even if we got a TD to go up 12 points i think we still lose the game. the eagles had the ball in the redzone late in the fourth quarter when the game was tied, if we were up 5 at that point they would have played it out differently and probably would have scored a TD. I know campbell threw 2 picks that resulted in 2 FG's. The first one was not a good decesion on his part but the 2nd i cant be mad at, we were trying to score points before half. if we just ran the ball 3 times before the half i would have been pissed, so i can handle that pick.

we came out the 2nd half and played good on offense and defense. then in the 4th quarter up by 8 our our D let us down, the key play to me in the game was Landry trying for the kill shoot on Avant and missing the tackle and he got an extra 20 yards on the play.
redskins5044 is offline   Reply With Quote