Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Debating with the enemy

Old 11-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Didn't see this being discussed elsewhere... I know this is national news, but it's all over most channels here in central PA. I can't believe that lack of humanity showed by the chain of command in Penn State athletics. When someone, anyone sees a child being molested and goes home to THINK ABOUT WHAT TO DO, there's a problem. When that person then comes to work the next day and reports it, and it's just passed up the chain and no police are called... that's a systemic failure. I hope they fire every last staff member and start from scratch. There's no excuse for what's happened at Penn State.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
GMScud
Swearinger

I was pretty surprised a thread hasn't been started on this yet. If these allegations are true, then this is just about one of the most disgusting scandals in the history of sport. Jerry Sandusky should be castrated and shot. The lack of action by the AD, Paterno, and everyone else with knowledge is just downright deplorable.

Penn State Nittany Lions' Tim Curley takes leave, Gary Schultz steps down amid scandal - ESPN
Penn State Nittany Lions athletic director Tim Curley charged with perjury in sex case - ESPN

Read the 23 page indictment here (I did- it's not for the faint of heart- I wanted to throw up):

Jerry Sandusky arrested: Grand jury report - The Washington Post
Old 11-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
GMScud
Swearinger

Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

BleedBurgundy- I merged my thread with yours since you started it a few minutes ahead of me. But I kept my thread title. I just feel like given the horrific nature of the allegations (read the Sandusky indictment), it's in poor taste to crack jokes about it right now (even though I did chuckle a bit at your title).

But jeez, this guy starts a camp for kids just so he can have access to little boys? Downright disgusting.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
12thMan
MVP

There's nothing, absolutely nothing, that could ever make this right. But Joe Pa stepping down like yesterday would be a good first good step.

How Paterno could, in good conscience, visit a recruit's home and look the parents square in the eye and say, your kid is better off at Penn State, when he couldn't protect a ****ing ten year old is beyond me.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
BleedBurgundy- I merged my thread with yours since you started it a few minutes ahead of me. But I kept my thread title. I just feel like given the horrific nature of the allegations (read the Sandusky indictment), it's in poor taste to crack jokes about it right now (even though I did chuckle a bit at your title).

But jeez, this guy starts a camp for kids just so he can have access to little boys? Downright disgusting.
Understood about the title, though please understand it's not that i find anything about this funny, it's that I think parallels can be drawn between the way this crime was handled compared with how the Vatican has notoriously dealt with abuse...by covering it up. Such organizations deserve to be mocked at a minimum.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
There's nothing, absolutely nothing, that could ever make this right. But Joe Pa stepping down like yesterday would be a good first good step.

How Paterno could, in good conscience, visit a recruit's home and look the parents square in the eye and say, your kid is better off at Penn State, when he couldn't protect a ****ing ten year old is beyond me.
It just goes to show that College Football is put above everything else. Some of the most deplorable acts known to man are swept under the rug by otherwise intelligent, successful men just to avoid damaging the program and all the money it brings in. Sickening.

The fact that the graduate assistant (a 28 year old man at the time) walked into shower room and saw Sandusky bending over a 10 year old and didn't go straight to the cops.... WTF? Or the fact that the university knew this stuff was going on and all they did was take Sandusky's keys?

It's a shame a coach that has done so much good for the sport is gonna go out like this... but I don't see how this doesn't end with Joe Pa stepping down. It has too.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

This is not how I would hope that Joe Pa would go out.

But he should go.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #8
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
Understood about the title, though please understand it's not that i find anything about this funny, it's that I think parallels can be drawn between the way this crime was handled compared with how the Vatican has notoriously dealt with abuse...by covering it up. Such organizations deserve to be mocked at a minimum.
I agree. Mocked is the absolute minimum. Blown up and jailed is what should happen.

IMO, anyone who sexually preys on little kids should be locked away with the mass murderers of the world. I find little, if anything on this planet more horrific than sexually abusing a child.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Joe Pa couldn't have had anything to do with this cover up. Look at how much money he raises from boosters for the football program.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #10
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Joe Pa couldn't have had anything to do with this cover up. Look at how much money he raises from boosters for the football program.
Well, he knew about the allegations, and all he did was mention it to the AD. He certainly didn't do all he could, that's for damn sure. There's plenty of blame to go around here, and a portion of it falls on Joe Pa's shoulders.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #11
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
It just goes to show that College Football is put above everything else. Some of the most deplorable acts known to man are swept under the rug by otherwise intelligent, successful men just to avoid damaging the program and all the money it brings in. Sickening.

The fact that the graduate assistant (a 28 year old man at the time) walked into shower room and saw Sandusky bending over a 10 year old and didn't go straight to the cops.... WTF? Or the fact that the university knew this stuff was going on and all they did was take Sandusky's keys?

It's a shame a coach that has done so much good for the sport is gonna go out like this... but I don't see how this doesn't end with Joe Pa stepping down. It has too.
You know Sandusky was being courted by the Terps but turned it down, reportedly, because of the foundation he was running.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #12
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:

Read the 23 page indictment here (I did- it's not for the faint of heart- I wanted to throw up):

Jerry Sandusky arrested: Grand jury report - The Washington Post
un-f-ing real, i really have no way to exprss how i feel after reading that. i have been listening to the radio and hearing about it all day, but this is the first time i read the indictment. there really isn't a punishment that could fit this crime. i have always said chilid molesters are by far the WORST type of person on the face of the earth. i hope he rots in a dumpster some where, what a ****in piece of shit.

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #13
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

http://www.thewarpath.net/other-spor...-thread-3.html

FYI, it was being discussed in the college football thread, but I too figured it was definitely own thread worthy. I've already discussed my thoughts on the matter in there, but to make a long story short I pretty much agree anybody involved in this, or knew anything whatsoever and failed to do anything about needs to be disbarred from the program, JoePa included.

It's beyond me how someone could witness such a deplorable and sickening act and not immediately think, holy shit I need to call the cops, this is disgusting. You're more of a man than I am Scud, because I just read the ESPN article and felt like I couldn't read anymore. No way I'm touching that 23 page report. As soon as I heard about the oral/anal in the lockerroom, etc., I felt just stunned that people could witness these things and just pass it on to the next guy, without thinking twice about calling the cops.

And I highly doubt it was just 8 kids, this is just the beginning, by the time every last kid comes forward you could be looking at triple or quadruple that number. I mean I can't believe after JoePa heard about this, it never crossed his mind that this ****ing sick sexual predator ran a foundation that was probably his main source to young boys. There's no ****ing justice possible for all the kids who are probably traumatized to this day, and it's a serious disservice to those people who work hard to help out at-risk kids every day with good intentions.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #14
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I was pretty surprised a thread hasn't been started on this yet.
We were talking about in the the official college football thread, but yeah, this deserves a thread of its own for sure.

Sickening listening to PSU fans claiming none of this is on Joe Paterno. /facepalm

So they knew he had sexual abuse allegations against him back in '98, and then had the assistant tell him of a incident between Sandusky and 10 year old boy. So Joe lets one person knows, continues to allow Sandusky on campus and around kids, and doesn't follow up on it or question anything? You shitting me? Joe better be glad its not my kid.

I can imagine the civil suits against Penn State are going to be costly. They should bleed them dry. Every single penny the football program receives should be going to those families and to child molestation prevention causes.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #15
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I'm going to pretend I didn't see this stupid statement.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote