Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Snyder looking to buy another "football" team

Other Sports

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2008, 01:11 AM   #1
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Snyder looking to buy another "football" team

I know this story is relatively old, given that it surfaced in October 2007, but since Soccer is as popular in this country as the Eskimo ear pull, well lets say that it's no surprise that the story was overlooked.

Now if some of you remember a few years ago the Glazers bought Manchester United, and ironically the fans hate him for it. Robert Kraft apparently was looking to buy another prominent English soccer team in Liverpool but they found another buyer. Now Snyder is going after an English team of his own in the Tottenham Hotspur's.

The team reminds me a bit of the modern day Redskins in that they have a very loyal fan base, but from what I can gather they don't exactly have 3 Championship titles, which in Europe equates to winning the Champions League (which IMO is best descibed as a combination of March Madness and the NFL playoffs).

Anyway enough talk, heres the article, feel free to discuss you're feelings
Note: I don't know if this belongs in the locker room instead of the "Other Sports" section but I doubt this will generate that much discussion to begin with as a lot of people don't follow futbol.

Charles Sale
Is Redskins chief on trail of Spurs?

09:53am 27th October 2007 Comments

Daniel Snyder, owner of the Washington Redskins — the second most valuable NFL brand after the Dallas Cowboys — is showing the most enthusiasm in the race to become the next American collector of a Premier League club.

Billionaire businessman Snyder, rich even by the remarkable standards of his fellow gridiron franchise owners, did not hide his interest when he attended the NFL-Economist sports business conference, Sport 2020, in London this week.

Snyder said: "We're actively looking for the right opportunity in the Premier League and are examining various opportunities. It's a very exciting market."

Tottenham, whose £450million asking price is around the same numbers Snyder paid for the Washington Redskins in 1999 — at that time the biggest transaction in sporting history — is Snyder's most likely target, with Spurs owner Daniel Levy prepared to sell at the right figure.
New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft, who revealed how close he was to buying Liverpool before Tom Hicks and George Gillett, still wants to buy into the Premier League but he said his search was "on the back burner".

Premier wish: Daniel Snyder can't buy success with the Redskins, but could he do it for Spurs?

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote