Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

F.... Regulations & People Who Think Up This Crap

Debating with the enemy

Old 02-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
firstdown
Living Legend

F.... Regulations & People Who Think Up This Crap

So I'm sitting in my office and in comes this short fat guy with a city bage on his coat. He announces that he is here to do a building inspection and wants to speak with the guy in charge. So this little fat F!#@ starts walking around my office checking stuff out (remember I had to have my office inspected prior to opening the office). He points out I need a new fire extinguisher, a new back up battery for an exit sign, and one other dumb thing. He then proceeds to walk into our office kitchen and starts to ask questions about the oven. He then breaks out his book (I know this is going down hill) and starts to read off all this crap about having an oven. When he is done he said the only way I can keep the oven is to install a comercial grade hood like you see in resturants ( they run around 7,000 to 10,000) for a stupid little oven. I'm like its been in here for other inspections but he did not really care because he has that F!^% bage on his coat. F^!% any common sense as this is a small office and its not like we are cooking dinner for entire world. Who thinks of all this crap? Then when its all over he hands me a bill for $50 and then it all clicks and its just another way to hit businesses for more money. Now he is over inspecting the other two units in here which I also own so I'm sure those tenants will be over here when he leaves if there's any problems.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-17-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: F.... Regulations & People Who Think Up This Crap

2 words. Toaster oven.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
So I'm sitting in my office and in comes this short fat guy with a city bage on his coat. He announces that he is here to do a building inspection and wants to speak with the guy in charge. So this little fat F!#@ starts walking around my office checking stuff out (remember I had to have my office inspected prior to opening the office). He points out I need a new fire extinguisher, a new back up battery for an exit sign, and one other dumb thing. He then proceeds to walk into our office kitchen and starts to ask questions about the oven. He then breaks out his book (I know this is going down hill) and starts to read off all this crap about having an oven. When he is done he said the only way I can keep the oven is to install a comercial grade hood like you see in resturants ( they run around 7,000 to 10,000) for a stupid little oven. I'm like its been in here for other inspections but he did not really care because he has that F!^% bage on his coat. F^!% any common sense as this is a small office and its not like we are cooking dinner for entire world. Who thinks of all this crap? Then when its all over he hands me a bill for $50 and then it all clicks and its just another way to hit businesses for more money. Now he is over inspecting the other two units in here which I also own so I'm sure those tenants will be over here when he leaves if there's any problems.
Welcome to the "Fire Marshall" shakedown. We had it here in VB last month.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Welcome to the "Fire Marshall" shakedown. We had it here in VB last month.
I've had the Fire Marshall come in before but they stopped like 4 years ago. This guy who came in was a city employee from city hall (nothing to do with the fire department) who does nothing but safty inspections so they can charge that $50.00 which is new.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

If I was you, I'd club him over the head with a pistol, put him in your trunk, take him out to the woods, and chain him to a tree.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
2 words. Toaster oven.
I know its not really about the oven its about stupid F!#@ regulation after regulation. I built this office so the plans showed the oven, had office inspected with wiring for oven, final inspection with oven and now 9 years later there's a problem.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
If I was you, I'd club him over the head with a pistol, put him in your trunk, take him out to the woods, and chain him to a tree.
I thought about that but I don't have a trunk.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:54 PM   #8
mlmdub130
Playmaker

just thank your stars you aren't a contractor in fairfax county the s these guys think up for us to do is beyond ruhtarded, crap that has held up for over 100 years is all of a sudden not good enough, i swear it's like they change the deck codes every other month, all for no reason. inspectors come through and point out stupid s just to validate their being there, it's like home inspectors and anti-tip devices for ovens, unless you are a two foot tall midget doing pull ups on your oven handle that s ain't goin nowhere thats two in one day i need a beer

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #9
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

They gave a place I was at hell, turned out to be a new guy, we brought it up with the chief that the other stuff had never been mentioned and they said don't worry about it. Of course this varies on issue and location.

I second the toaster oven part.. you can buy portable burners as well.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #10
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
They gave a place I was at hell, turned out to be a new guy, we brought it up with the chief that the other stuff had never been mentioned and they said don't worry about it. Of course this varies on issue and location.

honestly both of thoose options are more likely to cause a fire than an actual oven wired properly

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:34 PM   #11
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post

Thats it. The fire department/ fire cheif no longer does the inspections its been taken over by the city. I guess the city then hired some inspectors to do the inspections and now started charging $50.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #12
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I just got hit up by a town cop for having an expired registration. I PLAY BASKETBALL with the freaking guy every now and then and the prick wanted to still give me a ticket?! It's just a freaking business.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #13
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I know its not really about the oven its about stupid F!#@ regulation after regulation. I built this office so the plans showed the oven, had office inspected with wiring for oven, final inspection with oven and now 9 years later there's a problem.
You can't have the plans grandfathered in?
Old 02-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #14
saden1
MVP

The good news is you pay less taxes in Virginia, the bad news is you pay people like this guy to shake people down so shit gets paid for in Virginia. In this instance it just so happens you get taxed less and at the same time you're paying this guy to shake you down.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:56 AM   #15
dmek25
MVP

any chance he heard about your "business" meetings on the beach?