Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

What's up with the cops these days?

Debating with the enemy

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

What's up with the cops these days?

Are the police getting too big for their breeches these days?

Courthouse News Service

'Secret' law lets police arrest for failing to show ID near summit

This is already on top of the little girl getting shot.

Also, it sounds more and more like standard police procedure these days to shoot a man's dog upon entering his house.

What Sayeth the Mob?

Advertisements
Old 06-25-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Re: What's up with the cops these days?

Ok, lets over look the fact that it was a G8 and G20 meeting. Lets over look the fact that security gets beefed up when dignitaries from countries all show up at one place. Lets over look the fact that the whole ID law and "searches" were being conducted with in 5 meters of the security zone.

I often wonder what society would say if someone walked up and shot a dignitary due to lack of security. Oh wait that happened to Reagan.

Just wait till they require ID and conduct searches at our borders.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I have nothing in regards to the 86 y/o granny. but everyone thinks of a granny and thinks old and skinny and feable. Just like when we hear cop tazers juvenile, we all get a picture of some small kid getting tazered by some big cop.

Little do people realize some kids adult size. Stafford tazered a 14 yr old who was 6ft. 3inch and 280lbs.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
SBXVII
Franchise Player

On a side note, sometimes the dog wins and the cop loses.

http://officer.com/online/article.js...ion=1&id=53089

I hear sometimes pepper spray works on dogs and sometimes it just makes them more mad. Some departments I hear don't have tazers, which leaves using the hand gun against a dog that tries to attack.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
joethiesmanfan
The Starter

It's crazy how the civil libertarians love increases in police power. Tyranny always comes from your local police officer not some philosophical hypothetical struggle between feds and state.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:35 PM   #6
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

these days? shit, they've outgrown them long ago

it's no longer about providing a safe community, it's about sting operations, revenue, and the like

there are much better ways to help "clean up" societies than to just arrest everybody for everything.. one little misdemeanor can haunt you for a long time, it's a damn shame that the courts and police are out to ruin lives
Old 06-25-2010, 11:39 PM   #7
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Ok, lets over look the fact that it was a G8 and G20 meeting. Lets over look the fact that security gets beefed up when dignitaries from countries all show up at one place. Lets over look the fact that the whole ID law and "searches" were being conducted with in 5 meters of the security zone.

I often wonder what society would say if someone walked up and shot a dignitary due to lack of security. Oh wait that happened to Reagan.

Just wait till they require ID and conduct searches at our borders.
Let's look over the fact that civilians were not alerted to the new law.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:39 PM   #8
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I have nothing in regards to the 86 y/o granny. but everyone thinks of a granny and thinks old and skinny and feable. Just like when we hear cop tazers juvenile, we all get a picture of some small kid getting tazered by some big cop.

Little do people realize some kids adult size. Stafford tazered a 14 yr old who was 6ft. 3inch and 280lbs.
Yeah I remember this one time this woman adjusted her walker and one of the tennis balls got a few inches closer to me so I clotheslined her. Maybe read the article.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:44 AM   #9
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Yeah I remember this one time this woman adjusted her walker and one of the tennis balls got a few inches closer to me so I clotheslined her. Maybe read the article.
LOL. Seriously. If the facts in the article are even close to the truth, those cops should be fired and prosecuted for assault. She "took a more aggressive posture in bed" ???? LOL. She's 86, on bed rest, and on oxygen. Unfuckingbelievable.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:15 AM   #10
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
LOL. Seriously. If the facts in the article are even close to the truth, those cops should be fired and prosecuted for assault. She "took a more aggressive posture in bed" ???? LOL. She's 86, on bed rest, and on oxygen. Unfuckingbelievable.
Seriously.. a bowel movement could create a more "aggressive" posture.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #11
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethiesmanfan View Post
It's crazy how the civil libertarians love increases in police power. Tyranny always comes from your local police officer not some philosophical hypothetical struggle between feds and state.
What civil libertarian loves increases in police power?
Old 06-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #12
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Maybe read the police report.

Dallas.Org: El Reno Police - Report on Lona Varner

Compare it to the civil complaint.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/06/24/TaserGranny

The heart of it is that, according to the police, the granny was apparently an elderly woman who had gone "off her meds", was delusional, was weilding a "ktichen knife", and threatening to kill anyone who came near her including, apparently, her grandson.

Not saying they acted correctly or incorrectly - but it sounds like, if the police report is wrong, there will be plenty of evidence to contradict them (they apparently have the knife as evidence - let's see what we're talking about here). Also, I don't know, but I can see a situation where a crazy lady weilding large (if it was) kitchen knife might present a problem for paramedics so the cops had to disable her somehow. Was a taser appropriate? I don't know; I wasn't there. Neither was anyone else here.

Perhaps, just perhaps, its a little hyperbole by those seeking to argue that govt. is out of control or those with an agenda against police. They are easy targets for the both the right and the left.

Again, I am not saying the cops acted correctly, just that it may not be so cut and dry as some would like to make it.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #13
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Let's look over the fact that civilians were not alerted to the new law.
From the Article:
"[Community Safety Minister, Rick] Bartolucci, who is also the minister of correctional services, said the changes were voted in by a special five-member meeting of cabinet on June 14. The regulations were then posted on a relatively obscure government website, www.e-laws.gov.on.ca.

He said the changes were demanded by Toronto police.

'There was no secretive process here,' he said. 'The reality is this is the process that is followed with every regulation. Those who view e-laws — and I’m sure that they’re viewed by lawyers — were well aware this regulation was passed.'"

The above statement reminds me of a passage from the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxay:

Upon being informed that the earth was about to be destroyed to make way for an interstellar by-pass and protesting the pending imminent destruction, earth's 20th Century populace was informed -

"There's no point in acting all surprised about it. All the planning charts and demolition orders have been on display in your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for fifty of your earth years, so you've had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaint and it's far too late to start making a fuss about it.

What do you mean you've never been to Alpha Cenatauri? For heaven's sake, mankind, it's only four light years away, you know. I'm sorry, but if you can't be bothered to take an interest in local affairs that's your own lookout.

Energizie the demolition beams."

Last edited by JoeRedskin; 06-26-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #14
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post

The heart of it is that, according to the police, the granny was apparently an elderly woman who had gone "off her meds", was delusional, was weilding a "ktichen knife", and threatening to kill anyone who came near her including, apparently, her grandson.

Not saying they acted correctly or incorrectly - but it sounds like, if the police report is wrong, there will be plenty of evidence to contradict them (they apparently have the knife as evidence - let's see what we're talking about here). Also, I don't know, but I can see a situation where a crazy lady weilding large (if it was) kitchen knife might present a problem for paramedics so the cops had to disable her somehow. Was a taser appropriate? I don't know; I wasn't there. Neither was anyone else here.

Perhaps, just perhaps, its a little hyperbole by those seeking to argue that govt. is out of control or those with an agenda against police. They are easy targets for the both the right and the left.

Again, I am not saying the cops acted correctly, just that it may not be so cut and dry as some would like to make it.
This is a very intelligent post. +5.

Even if the lady was 86, she was crazy, off medication, and weilding a deadly weapon that she could have used against herself, paramedics, officers, and her grandson.

People say the taser is too violent?? What else could they do to an 86 year old lady with a knife...pepper spray her? punch her in the face? shoot her with a bean bag gun?

One of the things I hate about society, is that we have a concept that above or below a certain age, it's okay to blantantly break the law.

I get tired of hearing the elderly defended. As some of you know on here that know me, my good friend was killed last spring when he was T-boned by an 88 year old man who turned into his driveway and didn't look.

The man faced no charges, because of his age. Take me for example. I'm 25 and if I would have killed somebody with my car, i would be going to jail. But not the elderly, because they get the excuse that "They don't know what they are doing"

If I was the cop i would have tazed her too. And if she tried to stab me or swipe at me with that knife, i would have blown her away.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:27 AM   #15
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post

It wasn't linked or else I would've taken that into account. Pretty big evidence to have been left out of the original article.
Closed Thread