Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Nat's and O's - 2010 MLB Season

Other Sports

Old 04-08-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Nat's and O's - 2010 MLB Season

Doesn't seem like we have enough fans of either, or at least not much to talk about, how about we put em together? Or if you're a sucker that likes another team I guess that can pass.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-08-2010, 01:12 AM   #2
GMScud
Swearinger

Re: Nat's and O's - 2010 MLB Season

Big O's fan here. Tough start to the season- losing two close, low scoring 1 run games in that fashion.

Overall I'm optimistic. We are flat out loaded with young talent. The Nats? Well, things will look up if they get Bryce Harper in the draft I guess. Man they are sorry.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Big O's fan here. Tough start to the season- losing two close, low scoring 1 run games in that fashion.

Overall I'm optimistic. We are flat out loaded with young talent. The Nats? Well, things will look up if they get Bryce Harper in the draft I guess. Man they are sorry.
I'm a huge O's fan and I'm not too disappointed so far. The Rays are a good team, but man, it'll be tough if these types of losses happen all season. I am encouraged by some of the strides being made, particularly by Adam Jones (small sample size, but still), and I think that they're not too far away from being a competitive team.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

I was at the Nats opener on Monday as I have been at all of their home openers since they moved to DC and I have to say that was the lowest point in their short time here IMO. I can take the losing because I know it takes time to build a good team but to have the stadium completely overrun with opposing fans like that was downright embarrassing. I was at the Skins vs Steelers MNF game a few years back and that was nothing compared to Monday.
Ryan Zimmerman was awarded with the 2009 gold glove and silver slugger trophies before the game and with all the booing coming from the philly fans you'd think that they skinning puppies on the mound.
Since it was the first game of the season all of the trainers, production crew, etc were introduced. After James Brown (he was the pregame MC since he's a part owner of the team) said each persons' name those ever-classy philly fans would yell "sucks." That really made it feel like a home game.

Other than that, it was a beautiful day and instead of sitting at my desk at work I was at a baseball game with my dad, so that was okay.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

so 159 games left till it's over. my perfect baseball season would start after the nba/nhl championships and end before nfl training camps start. ok, I'll leave y'all alone now.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
johno
Impact Rookie

nats fan here, we are really effing bad. going to the game today actually, lets hope i am able to witness our first victory of the season.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
over the mountain
Playmaker

Os fan, pumped for the season. we dont have tickets for tomorrow's opener just yet but are on standby for a couple and will try and win some at 98 rock at this bar downtown.

tickets or no tickets, me and the lady are getting all Os geared up and heading down to camden to partee! i just have to complete 2 days of work by today to do it or either my lady or boss will kill me.

jones has been killing the ball. 5 dingers in preseason, started opener with a bang.

weiters is going to put up 25/100/.300

gonzo for 6 mil a year and no real closer experience scares me, his fastball is in the mid 80's, no good for a closer. still dont like the chris ray trade. he looked good after coming back from serious injury.

tuesday is weiters t shirt night and 8 buck tickets. i live close to the yard so i can pop in on a game anytime i want which is nice compared to other sports where you have to wheel and deal for tickets, plan ahead, etc.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
over the mountain
Playmaker

tryful - your yanks are looking pretty good so far.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
Os fan, pumped for the season. we dont have tickets for tomorrow's opener just yet but are on standby for a couple and will try and win some at 98 rock at this bar downtown.

tickets or no tickets, me and the lady are getting all Os geared up and heading down to camden to partee! i just have to complete 2 days of work by today to do it or either my lady or boss will kill me.

jones has been killing the ball. 5 dingers in preseason, started opener with a bang.

weiters is going to put up 25/100/.300

gonzo for 6 mil a year and no real closer experience scares me, his fastball is in the mid 80's, no good for a closer. still dont like the chris ray trade. he looked good after coming back from serious injury.

tuesday is weiters t shirt night and 8 buck tickets. i live close to the yard so i can pop in on a game anytime i want which is nice compared to other sports where you have to wheel and deal for tickets, plan ahead, etc.
I'll be there tomorrow. My buddy has season tickets, so it'll be him, 2 of our friends and me.

I think the Chris Ray trade was brilliant, that guy's done and they needed a veteran starter. You couldn't count on Guthrie to be an ace and you shouldn't throw Matusz or Bergesen into the fire like that. I have a feeling that Guthrie will work his way out of the rotation (not if he keeps pitching they way he did yesterday) and Tillman will be up by mid-May.

I agree about worrying about Gonzalez and Trembely won't go away from him, but I think he might be okay. If not, I vote for Koji to close.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
I was at the Nats opener on Monday as I have been at all of their home openers since they moved to DC and I have to say that was the lowest point in their short time here IMO. I can take the losing because I know it takes time to build a good team but to have the stadium completely overrun with opposing fans like that was downright embarrassing. I was at the Skins vs Steelers MNF game a few years back and that was nothing compared to Monday.
Ryan Zimmerman was awarded with the 2009 gold glove and silver slugger trophies before the game and with all the booing coming from the philly fans you'd think that they skinning puppies on the mound.
Since it was the first game of the season all of the trainers, production crew, etc were introduced. After James Brown (he was the pregame MC since he's a part owner of the team) said each persons' name those ever-classy philly fans would yell "sucks." That really made it feel like a home game.

Other than that, it was a beautiful day and instead of sitting at my desk at work I was at a baseball game with my dad, so that was okay.
Yeah man the cheering was insane from Phillies fans, embarrassing.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #11
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
tryful - your yanks are looking pretty good so far.
hahaha, you just can't get over me liking duke huh?

I'm an O's fan through and through. I follow the Nats a bit because my family used to be HUGE Senators fans and had they still been around, that would've been my team. I've got all sorts of old programs and stuff that my grandmother gave me full of autographs, some letters, etc.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #12
over the mountain
Playmaker

if your going to be around pickels and all that madness just look for the guy with orioles colored adidas shoes. im the only guy in the city with em!

yeah your right about millwood and guthrie. i liked chris ray thoo, hes still young, good velocity after the surgery, looked good in the spot duty he got last year at closer. what did he have? tommy john surgery?
Old 04-08-2010, 01:47 PM   #13
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
hahaha, you just can't get over me liking duke huh?

I'm an O's fan through and through. I follow the Nats a bit because my family used to be HUGE Senators fans and had they still been around, that would've been my team. I've got all sorts of old programs and stuff that my grandmother gave me full of autographs, some letters, etc.
oh tryful buddy. theres rules to this fan thing. i grew up with the skins and orioles, born in 78. ravens fans cant get why im a skins fan, i have to tell them every time, when i grew up i went to rfk and memorial. there were no nationals or ravens. i dont jump ship unlike, cough cough, all those skins fans in baltimore who jumped ship to the ravens. i do have respect for the colts fans who never embraced the skins and remained celebant until baltimore got a new nfl team.

f the nats and their city full of "rich daddy" yuppies, diplomats and transplants. dc has no endearing quality, it has no identity, it is a listless city full of the haves and haves nots. there is no middle ground. there is no community. you are either ghetto poor or under 30 with a masters degree. there is no middle ground, there is no average joe walking amongst you.

who here actually lives in DC?

sorry about that . .

and no, i will never get over you being a duke fan. in some ways, you being from north beach and skins fan, i think your cureable.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #14
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

When I was a kid I actually rooted for the Orioles and...the Expos! A few years back, when the Expos became the Nationals (by way of Puerto Rico) I thought great I'll have both the Orioles and the Nationals in town!

But around the time I also had taken a job near Baltimore, and I noticed when a lot of my colleagues talked about towns and neighborhoods outside of Baltimore I had no idea where they were talking about and couldn't relate. But I could relate to the Metro DC area neighborhoods. So that's when I decided to devote my focus to the Nats...and now I live near CitiField

Nats have a long way to go, but they'll get there soon

Monday was swing-gate embarrassing though
Old 04-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #15
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
oh tryful buddy. theres rules to this fan thing. i grew up with the skins and orioles, born in 78. ravens fans cant get why im a skins fan, i have to tell them every time, when i grew up i went to rfk and memorial. there were no nationals or ravens. i dont jump ship unlike, cough cough, all those skins fans in baltimore who jumped ship to the ravens. i do have respect for the colts fans who never embraced the skins and remained celebant until baltimore got a new nfl team.

f the nats and their city full of "rich daddy" yuppies, diplomats and transplants. dc has no endearing quality, it has no identity, it is a listless city full of the haves and haves nots. there is no middle ground. there is no community. you are either ghetto poor or under 30 with a masters degree. there is no middle ground, there is no average joe walking amongst you.

who here actually lives in DC?

sorry about that . .

and no, i will never get over you being a duke fan. in some ways, you being from north beach and skins fan, i think your cureable.
I'm not actually from North Beach.. I lived there for a bit and am now in Waldorf. For the 11tyth time I've only lived in MD for 3-4 months now actually haha, don't even have my MD id. I was in NoVA for 7 years, southern VA for 12, then back to NoVA.. back to southern VA for a few years a piece.

My grandmother lived in DC until 2000ish and I'd stay with her some, loved it there.

I figured that I'd have my Master's Degree by about now but things didn't work out so well, don't even have an Associate's. Regardless, I love the city having spent a lot of time there.

Nobody said I was jumping ship to the Nats. Like I said, I'm an O's fan but I keep up with the Nats.