Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

I'm Feeling Good

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-03-2004, 04:34 PM   #1
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I'm Feeling Good

Its the first day of Free Agency, and we have as of this moment signed DT Griffin, DE Daniels and are just about set with Shawn Springs... I dont know about anyone else, but I'm feeling good. I honestly think that if we put this unit on the feild today, they would be a damn good football team, on both sides of the ball. The opprotuinty is there for another DE, especially now that Kearse is in Philedalphia (I dont know if anyone saw that coming). Overall though, I think Griffin is a HUGE upgrade from any tackle we have, Springs should fill in nicley, although hes not as good as Bailey. And Daniles seems like a soild, decent player and from what I hear has great charecter.

On the offensive side of the ball, man do we look dangerous. We might not have a tight end as of yet, but boy do we have anything else you could ask for. We have two capable qbs, a all pro runningback, and some pretty decent backups, a all star wideout, two very soild wideouts behind him and a rookie that could develop. A offensive line that minus the center position, is freaking awsome, especially if Samuels regains form this year. I dont know about anyone else, but we look good.

Other Pickups I think we could use are ....

One more DE, maybe with bigger impact. If we can steal Winstrom, that'd be awsome but I hear hes a near lock for KC, so well stay tuned. Theres another name ppl have been floating around that I'm not really fimiliar with, but maybe whoever that is we can pick up. Another DT wouldnt hurt either, but I think with Griffin, Holsley and Noble , we COULD be ok there.

Saftey, Sean Taylor possibly, I think our draft right now has to be between him, or a trade down so we can get Udeze or W. Smith possibly.

Tight End. We should still be open to looking at another tight end. Although I think we are ok with what we have, now that Klessiner is off the market, we might just have to stick with that. Unless, we make a run and KW the Junior.

Overall though, I'm liking what I'm seeing.... reactions?
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-03-2004, 04:38 PM   #2
skins009
Impact Rookie

Griffen is a very average DT. Just look at his numbers. Plus once again we overpayed for him. Robarrie Smith is better.

WE NEED A GM!
skins009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 04:44 PM   #3
BrunellFan
Special Teams

Yeah, so far its been good. Though I cant say Im very happy about Kearse going to the Eagles....
Old 03-03-2004, 04:50 PM   #4
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

One: I'm glad they stayed away from Kearse. Griffen has been up and down with the gints, but he's certainly an upgrade. We are not done yet on the D-line.

Two: Did we really overpay for Griffen? How is it structured? What was he worth? Sometimes, you take a chance on a guy that had a down year, but is young and has shown promise. The whole gint d was lame last year.

Three: I think springs is a good corner. Depends on the price. He'll be cheaper than Winfield.

Look, we needed a vet QB (Brunell), and quality RB (Portis), an improved D-line (Griffen, Daniels), a new CB (Springs). There's lots more to go, but I'm feeling pretty good too, gman.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:53 PM   #5
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Well it's still possible we get Robaire Smith as well. As for Griffen, the thing I'd look at with DTs is can they push the offensive line backwards and attract double teams freeing up the ends? Jueging by Strahan's sack totals the past few years I'd say Griffin has done a pretty good job
Old 03-03-2004, 05:05 PM   #6
hank64
Camp Scrub

I think all we need now is to sign Robaire Smith, Shawn Springs, maybe Walter Rasby for a blocking TE, and then draft Sean Taylor. Then wait until August...
hank64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 05:06 PM   #7
Phinehas
Special Teams

Quote:
Saftey, Sean Taylor possibly, I think our draft right now has to be between him, or a trade down so we can get Udeze or W. Smith possibly.
I heard that Taylor had a pretty unspectaculor workout. We might be better off trading down anyway and picking up Bob Sanders out of Iowa.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=1743694

--Phin
Phinehas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 05:13 PM   #8
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

I know everyone on here, including myself, seems high on Sean taylor as our draft choice but I was thinking that with klien-whats his name of the vikings being taken off the table, that we could do this:
1.)trade down our pick to the 15-20 range as well as pick up a 2nd and a lower pick or a future draft pick
2.) draft Ben Troupe of Florida who not only is a tremendous recieving tightend in the mold of shannon sharpe(minus arrogance) but he is also one of the better blocking tight ends in college. (and he won't last past the first round I would bet.)
3.) use the 2nd round pick we got in the trade for a nickle back like d'angelo hall or a d-lineman or linebacker to serve mainly as backups this year but possible future starters or the best choice in my mind would be to use it on J. Grove to fill the hole at center and give us a monster o-line.
I'm willing to bet our d-line holes will all be filled in free agency so I don't really see the need to draft one and a lot of people seem to forget how pivital a good if not great center can mean to an offense.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 05:14 PM   #9
hank64
Camp Scrub

Or maybe that guy out of Purdue. I can't remember his name, but he was a good safety there.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:15 PM   #10
Phinehas
Special Teams

Schweingarter...or something like that.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:23 PM   #11
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

does anyone know how much compensation would need to be given up to sign Oguynleye(sp?) from miami? he's a restricted free agent but I haven't heard what level contract he was tendered. he'd be a good pass rush addition.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 05:32 PM   #12
Phinehas
Special Teams

I think they tendered him at or near the top level, meaning at least a 1st round pick, and I believe a 1st and a 3rd round would be required.

Edit: Yep, 1st and 3rd.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=1748968

--Phin

Last edited by Phinehas; 03-03-2004 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:46 PM   #13
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Haha, we dont even have a first and third lol.

As far as safteys go, there are actually some good Safties in Free Agency, if we decided to go that route. We dont even really need a saftey, I'm still high on Taylor, I dont think the workout could have gone as bad as its been made out to be. But if we traded down, got a Udeze and a pick in the second, and had Bowen/Ohellete as our safties next year, i'd still be happy
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 05:56 PM   #14
hank64
Camp Scrub

Whether they keep the #5 and take Taylor, or trade down for extra picks, I trust Gibbs. If someone wants that 5 bad enough, I say pull the trigger.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:14 PM   #15
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Forget Robaire, Texans apparently got him