Playmaker

DC Baseball may be dead

All because of Cropp
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-15-2004, 01:23 AM   #2
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Linda Crapp...that's right I said Crapp. She's setting it up so that MLB uses us for a year then moves on
Old 12-15-2004, 10:11 AM   #3
cpayne5
Playmaker

They're saying that it will cost the city too much money, but in reality, it will be one of the best things to happen to the city in a long time. It's rediculous.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:48 AM   #4
jdlea
Playmaker

Angry

That's what I've been thinking all along. All having a baseball team will do is generate more and more money for the city. I don't live in the city, I rarely go there, but I would attend baseball games. I know plenty of people who would come from MD to watch the Nationals play. That's more taxable money they wouldn't have. Let's say they get good and some of the players move into somewhere like Georgetown, that's taxable income for the city. WTF were they thinking?!

I can't stand this.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 11:12 AM   #5
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

fucking Linda Cropp is a bitch. This is the 2nd time she does something like this.

You guys don't know how excited I was about this, and now it looks like it's all going down the toilet.
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 03:18 PM   #6
cpayne5
Playmaker

Sounds like Tony Williams is conceding that baseball won't be in DC if things continue. What a shame. I think Cropp is just doing this out of spite, what a witch.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:57 PM   #7
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Baseball in DC. Who cares? Drive an extra 20 minutes to see another bad team in the Orioles. The problem with baseball in DC is the city isn't fronting the money for the stadium. They're just jacking everyones taxes up to pay for it. I can understand both sides and I think it's a bit silly to have two teams so close together. I don't think this area can support two teams. For the first year or two the nationals will do fine, but I wouldn't be suprised to see attendance drop off.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 05:14 PM   #8
cpayne5
Playmaker

I think the area can support 2 teams. I'm a O's fan and the Nationals coming to town won't make me change my allegiance. I may root for them during the season, since they're NL, but the O's are my team. I think that the team will be more than self-sustaining towards the city. 81 games a year will create revenue and jobs that just are not there at the current time. Some times you have to take a risk to get the full reward. Seems like the council isn't willing to take the risk, which is a shame.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:31 PM   #9
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I think the city should foot the bill for the stadium. Not the people of DC. Would you be for baseball in Rappahannock if it jacked your taxes up? Even though it would be an economical boom, that doesn't help you any!
Old 12-15-2004, 05:38 PM   #10
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
Even though it would be an economical boom, that doesn't help you any!
Sure it would, don't be rediculous. Go read Wilbon's article about the positive effects of the new Lions stadium on the surrounding area.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:27 PM   #11
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

It's not necessarily the people of DC who are getting taxed. It's the people who go to the games. So that would include a lot of people from Northern Virginia and Montgomery County, MD (such as myself). So if I go to the game and buy a couple of beers, a hot dog, a t-shirt, and a game program. They're going to tax me and put that money back into the DC economy. Linda Cropp makes it sound as if every schmuck living in the city has to foot the bill for this.

As fellow council member Harold Brazil said "In 30 seconds she ruined what was 30 years in the making"

She is officially enemy #1 on the DC sports scene. Snyder, Pollin, and Angelos all sent her flowers today
Old 12-16-2004, 05:19 PM   #12
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Smoot: From what I've read they're jacking up citizens of DCs taxes for the stadium. I'm sure they'll make a pretty penny of the people who go (all 3 of you) but it comes down to the people of DC I think.

How many times has baseball failed in DC? Twice. What makes you think this time it will be any different?
Old 12-16-2004, 08:13 PM   #13
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

The cost to fund the stadium and the renovation of the surrounding area would come from rent paid by the owners, the top 11% of business owners in Washington, DC and people who go to the games.

DC today is not the same DC of 30 years ago. For one thing, it's more affluent. There are a lot more big businesses here which means more money and clients for luxury boxes, the most important aspect of any pro stadium. Public transportation wasn't the same 30 years ago either. Now with the Metro train system it's much easier to get around and especially around downtown DC and this has created a broader region because the suburbs (Northern Virginia, Montgomery Co.) can now be considered practically a part of DC itself. And as it was the population has grown significantly anyway.

When the MCI Center was built in DC's Chinatown seven years ago that area was a total dump, but thanks to that stadium a lot of businesses set up shop there and completely revitalized the area and raised its property value. A baseball stadium could do the same for the Anacostia Waterfront, which has the potential to be beautiful. Several companies have committed to building stores, offices, condos/apartments in that area over the next couple of years with the understanding that people will start coming there to attend baseball games and shop, eat, and even live there. As it is now, anyone who goes there is really just going to one of the clubs there late at night and that's it. A friend of mine recently bought a one-bedroom condo out there thinking that it's value is going to up in a couple of years. I wonder how she must feel now.

Linda Cropp took a gamble because baseball knows that DC is the best option for relocation which, ironically, is the reason it would really rather not move here. DC has always been the "threat city" for baseball and its owners. MLB used DC in the past to secure better stadium deals in Houston, San Diego and Pittsburgh (among others). "Build a better stadium or we'll threaten to move the team to DC" If DC gets a team, what becomes the "threat city" Even worse than taking that gamble is that Linda Cropp basically reneged on a deal that she knew about and had not objected to. Tuesday was not the first time she had read the agreement, she knew full well what it was and what it entailed. What she did was a classless move that does not bode well for the future of baseball in Washington, DC

And what do you mean all 3 of us? That more of your witty sarcasm oozing through?
Old 12-16-2004, 11:31 PM   #14
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

It's not like we're getting a great team into DC. We're getting the worst possible team. I don't think they'll sell tickets and I think the owner will be in a hole. It will create jobs and many businesses will setup around it, which is very possitive. It's time we recognize football as America's favorite past time, because Baseball is dead. It's boring, it has no salary cap which gives certain clubs somewhat of an unfair advantage, and I just love looking into a stadium with over 1/2 of the seats empty because they don't have the appeal.

I can see the other side though. I understand that many people may not want the financial burden and eye-sore of a stadium. If it comes, best of luck, but I think it will be another failed venture.

Yes, that was my witty sarcasm. Great job of picking it out. Baseball's dead. I really don't care one way or another if DC gets a baseball team. Baltimore is so close I think it's somewhat ridiculous. If you want to see baseball, drive to Baltimore. Either way, it's the expos.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:06 AM   #15
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

For those that care:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Dec20.html