Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Possible Deal in Works for Will Smith?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-25-2004, 06:58 PM   #1
Big C
Mr. Brightside

Possible Deal in Works for Will Smith?

i read this on the about.com football forums.

To: ALL (1 of 31)

According to people down in new orleans the radio has mentioned a huge trade involving the redskins and the saints. Maybe this answers the question about the saints getting a defensive lineman and the redskins getting these new tackles late. Perhaps the skins were contacted during the second day and are desperately taking tackles in order to create depth post-trade period. The rumor is the skins trading Chris Samuels and maybe trotter? for darren howard or will smith and something else? Maybe some picks. Either way very interesting rumor.

I dont realy know what to make of this, i havent heard anything like this anywhere but here...what u guys think
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-25-2004, 07:01 PM   #2
Carnage
Special Teams

Will Smith is bad ass. Though I wondered why NO picked him, with that DE depth.
Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 07:02 PM   #3
Cush
Impact Rookie

I saw this mentioned on the ESPN boards as well. I think the talk was about DE Darren Howard
Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 07:05 PM   #4
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Samuels for Howard? No Thanks!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 07:06 PM   #5
Big C
Mr. Brightside

if this deal went down, it wouldmake more sense for us gettin 2 tackles and NO gettin smith, when they have Howard AND Charles Grant...very interesting...
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 07:18 PM   #6
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Well I was thinking of a possible Samuels trade since we drafted these OT's. If Winey had to play this year, I wouldnt be as confident as I would be with samuels, but I wouldnt exactly be sweating it either. I think if we could get W. Smith out of the deal too, I would be freaking estatic. I think however, its more likley we'd get howard. At this point, I mean its not exactly a great trade, but the Cap room we'd save in 2005 would be huge.

Last edited by Gmanc711; 04-25-2004 at 07:22 PM.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 07:37 PM   #7
mizzo skins man
Camp Scrub

Very interesting rumor. It would make sense, because I've been trying to figure out all day why the Skins been picking up O- lineman. What are we going to do with the D-line.
mizzo skins man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 07:37 PM   #8
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

if we could get both smith and/or howard (more importantly smith) for samuels and trotter that would be freaking huge. winney won't be the blind side protector this year and the guy we drafted from cal sounds like under bugels tutelage could be a starter in a year, possibly sooner. Or we could pick up someone who's a cap victim in june to play the spot for a year or 2 and this would free up a massive amount of cap room and fill our main weakness wouldnt it? what type of contract does howard carry with him and he's a pretty darn good de isn't he? I'd also hope to try and get atleast a 2nd or 3rd round pick next year out of it if possible, but this sounds awesome if accomplished.

Last edited by skinsfanthru&thru; 04-25-2004 at 07:49 PM.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 08:39 PM   #9
Darock
Camp Scrub

Haha...yeh let's get smith and howard for samuels...lol..that would be the greatest thing ever to happen i believe..but the Tackle position would be weak..we just draft the 2 Tackles..and have other fill ins..winey etc..but boy that would be something..but i wouldn't do smith for samuels straight up..but we need hellllllp on the Dline badly...
Darock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 08:56 PM   #10
manicd
Special Teams

I think the Saints placed the franchise tag on Howard back in February. What would that mean to us in this scenario.
manicd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 09:11 PM   #11
jthor99
Camp Scrub

i agree that we need help on the d line, but chris samuels in my opinion is one of the top T in the NFC besides Orlando Pace. I think that we should give this some time and let Samuels realize that Gibbs style is going to work again and then there shouldn't be any reason he wont restructure , but for now we need to keep him while we have a 52 million dollar rb and a 32 million dollar qb. i feel that we can address the d line when the veteran cuts start june 1st.
jthor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 02:37 AM   #12
RedskinPete
The Starter

I just don't see him as this great tackle and maybe it is that Samuels need better teaching from coaches. He seem to get beat a lot and misses blocks. Jansen on the other side is way ahead of him. Last for the money we are not getting any were the value he should be showing. Also remember he cost 2 first round picks that year as well! He has been a bust and this year is big for him and the Redskins. It he dosen't do well he will have less trade value and if he is as good as many of you think he will wanted more money! As it is the FO is going to take a long look here and fish or cut bait with him. So get what you can if you think he is a bust or keep this all Pro great tackle. At the time of the draft I thought Samuels was a reach becaues he had a short back ground in football and only played very good for a few college years. I really think this is the time to get a great trade if it is out there if he isn't the great Tackle he should be!!!

Last edited by RedskinPete; 04-26-2004 at 03:03 AM.
RedskinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 02:00 PM   #13
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

Theres no way they would give us Howard and Smith for Samuels and Trotter... A probowl end and a first round draft choice. If they did I dont even know if it would be a good move. We just signed an end, hed be a good, but expensive backup. And if Howard got the Franchise tag hes going to cost big money...I dont know if we could afford both of them. Sameuls and Trotter would free up a lot of money but most of it would happen next year.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:00 PM   #14
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

any reports on where these rumors are coming form?
Old 04-26-2004, 02:50 PM   #15
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

i think if a trade for either of these guys went through, we might see wynn cut.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote