What REALLY grinds your gears?

Parking Lot

Old 04-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #1351
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: What REALLY grinds your gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I forgot my cell at home today. I was like F it I am not going back. Sits at my desk doing nothing all day.

Other then checking scores from time to time or an occasional call it is never used.

My neighbors daughter (27) has a son (4). She never watches her kid just has her phone pressed to her face 24/7. It amazes me how someone can be so addicted to their phone.

I saw a mother at a Tee-Ball game last season sitting in a lawn chair on the phone in a foreign language AND using a laptop at the same time, during her son's baseball game.

Seriously, your son is 5...so you need to be paying attention to him because of his age, plus...these moments of watching them grow up are something you're missing and will never get back. Pay attention to your kids, parents...soon you'll wish they were small again. Things like Tee-Ball games are something that shouldn't be missed, especially for something as stupid as a phone call or Facebook. That woman and all of the parents like her make me rage inside. I feel so bad for the kids who always have to wait for attention until the phone needs charged.

Advertisements
Old 04-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #1352
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
I do retail work in Bethesda now (shoe sales), and a customer complained because apparently she felt like I thought she was going to steal something because I was circling around her.

Scenario: She's trying on designer shoes (which means they tend to be higher end) and I glance over at her, which is something we always do to deter theft and because we have a ton of high end shoes theft runs rampant, and in return she gives me the stink eye.

I walk around, straighten up a few things, and I can feel her watching me. I look around the area to assess what needs to be done and catch eyes with this woman. More stink eye.

A customer asks me for help looking for a shoe for a wedding she has to attend. I tend to the customer, walking around aisles looking for a shoe I think she'd like. After I'm done helping her I look around to figure out what else I need to do in this area... More stink eye. Then she gets up and leaves.

When paying for her items, she complains to my assistant manager that she thinks I was eyeing her because she was going to steal something.

Retail sucks.

Ok I have to ask were you profiling a white girl. LOL
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #1353
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I just think our cell phone/smart phone obsession in this country is amazing. It controls people's lives and its like their only sense of security. I just wanted to smack the guy. What a lil bitch. And then for his friend to agree...I could never say that to a friend in fear of ridicule.
I agree. I love my gadgets but when you're hanging out you dont need to be on it every second. That said, they've done studies and anymore people that are without their smartphones/internet/etc have withdrawl symptoms similar to some of the harder drugs. Pretty crazy.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #1354
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
I saw a mother at a Tee-Ball game last season sitting in a lawn chair on the phone in a foreign language AND using a laptop at the same time, during her son's baseball game.

Seriously, your son is 5...so you need to be paying attention to him because of his age, plus...these moments of watching them grow up are something you're missing and will never get back. Pay attention to your kids, parents...soon you'll wish they were small again. Things like Tee-Ball games are something that shouldn't be missed, especially for something as stupid as a phone call or Facebook. That woman and all of the parents like her make me rage inside. I feel so bad for the kids who always have to wait for attention until the phone needs charged.
Don't even get me started on Tee Ball. I can't believe you only saw one parent doing that! Other then the coach, myself and two other dads every other parent was checked out.

Tee ball needs the parent's help. Each parent can be a base coach. It is hard game to learn and it is impossible for one coach to be expected to watch all those kids and teach them. Especially since their attention span is a minute.

And don't say "well I don't know baseball" BS! Stand at second and explained to the child when the ball is hit go to 3rd base. In the meantime observe the infielders and make sure they are paying attention. Easy as pie.

Why some folks reproduce is beyond me.

The single mom I spoke of earlier is a real piece of work. Her son is a distraction/obstacle to her social life. Her exact quote.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #1355
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post

At dinner a few weeks back I pointed out to my wife a family and all four had out their phones. Dad was talking, mom texting, son actually had a game not a phone, and the daughter texting. My guess is they didn't say 20 words to each other in the 45min they had dinner.

Dinner is the time we take to catch up with what everyone did at school/work and to enjoy each others company. My 6 yr old daughter will usually get started talking and will entertain us for the entire meal. Its a great age to hear them explain their view of the world and whats going on in their life/school. Last week a kid through a temper tantrum in the class and the way our 6 yr old explained what happened she had us laughing so hard we could not even eat our meal.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #1356
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Watched a Father and his 5-6 year old son at a Richmond basketball game this year. The Dad never said a word to his son the entire game and just played on his I Phone. Never watched the game, never talked to his son, I guess thats quality time these days.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #1357
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Watched a Father and his 5-6 year old son at a Richmond basketball game this year. The Dad never said a word to his son the entire game and just played on his I Phone. Never watched the game, never talked to his son, I guess thats quality time these days.
That is sad but also realize that at times parents need a break too. I am not saying a whole basketball game break.

My tee ball complaints are stemmed from watching the same parents week after week doing the same thing and my neighbor.

But you really can't judge a parent by one glimpse into their lives. Everyone is going to have DAYS or moments with their kids.

I am just saying in general to everyone realize the child you see having a tantrum in the grocery store or restaurant is probably not reflective of their actual life or their parents skills to raise them. They are most likely having a moment.

It is a hard job being a good parent but worth it.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #1358
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yeah it's a problem that many have, social media is really ****ing up many kids because their parents are too worried about posting stupid shit on Facebook or twitter. I worked with a girl that had kids and she was always posting pics of herself half naked and shit and always cussing and talking about sex on Facebook.. sad
Old 04-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #1359
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
That is sad but also realize that at times parents need a break too. I am not saying a whole basketball game break.

My tee ball complaints are stemmed from watching the same parents week after week doing the same thing and my neighbor.

But you really can't judge a parent by one glimpse into their lives. Everyone is going to have DAYS or moments with their kids.

I am just saying in general to everyone realize the child you see having a tantrum in the grocery store or restaurant is probably not reflective of their actual life or their parents skills to raise them. They are most likely having a moment.

Anyone who has kids know they can have their moments but its not very hard to figure out which kids parents let that kid get away with those moments. If you do not teach kids unexceptable behavor at young age they will never learn and I think that even carries into adult hood in many cases.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #1360
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Anyone who has kids know they can have their moments but its not very hard to figure out which kids parents let that kid get away with those moments. If you do not teach kids unexceptable behavor at young age they will never learn and I think that even carries into adult hood in many cases.
Totally agree.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #1361
MTK
\m/

People are definitely way too hooked on their phones these days. Always amazes me at work how many people leave their ringers cranked up, and of course whenever their phone rings they're not at their desk so you have to listen to Gangnam Style or some other dumb ringtone at a piercing volume.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #1362
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

I actually do not own a Fishing Game(I know what your thinking)....sooooo WTF? I had to go do the real thing.
A day in the Ten Thousand Islands site-casting for Giant Snook will have to do. I don't "get" being that attached to the electronic virtual life.....thing......
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #1363
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
People are definitely way too hooked on their phones these days. Always amazes me at work how many people leave their ringers cranked up, and of course whenever their phone rings they're not at their desk so you have to listen to Gangnam Style or some other dumb ringtone at a piercing volume.

...and I go silence their phones. I don't care about the "personal property" aspect...you're annoying the hell out of everyone.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #1364
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:

You get a break when you've done your job to raise them to live on their own. Until then, you made the choice to have sex and have kids, so they're your life now.

*For the record, I'm coaching my son's Tee-ball team. I wouldn't miss it for the world.

That lady I saw...I've just never seen someone on a phone AND computer at a sporting event before, in a foreign language on top of it!

I'll pick my son off at preschool if I have a day away from the office and have no one to talk to while waiting because every other parent (mother) is playing with their phones.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #1365
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Maybe its b/c I had my so late in life (40 when my son was born and 44 when my daughter was born), I just can't imagine ignoring them the way I see some parents do. After all the crap in my life, these two little people are the most interesting things happening to me. Barring my wife, their is no one and nothing that is more important than them. On top of that, they just make life fun.

Yesterday my little girl was dancing and singing with no music and just a big smile. I asked what she was so happy about. "I dunno" was her response and then back to singing, dancing and smiling. Who the f' wants to miss that?