World Cup

Other Sports

Old 06-27-2014, 09:41 PM   #121
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Re: World Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
It's a point system ,no need for rocket science .There are shoot outs in some games put not in a tournament of this nature .If people remember the US women vs China in the world cup .

USA Women Soccer Team win World Cup.wmv - YouTube

Just to clarify. There are shoot outs in the 2nd stage of the World Cup. Any game in the 2nd stage will be decided by penalty kicks.

Watching that video brings me back to that moment. Such a historic moment for that women's team and Chastain's image with jersey off is iconic.

Truth be told. Watch the women's soccer team is much more enjoyable. They usually are favorites to win....lol There loss to Japan in the last World Cup title game was heart breaking. Lost the same way they beat China. (via penalty kicks)

FIFA Women's World Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of the best teams in the world when it comes to the women's side of it. Men...step your game up!
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-28-2014, 02:45 PM   #122
Hijinx
The Starter

If you are a Brazilian player right now you have to be feeling the pressure.
Hijinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #123
HoustonSkinsFan
Camp Scrub

Quick correction: NHL no longer has ties adopting the shootout.
HoustonSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:24 PM   #124
HoustonSkinsFan
Camp Scrub

What a first match of the knockout stage! Chilé definitely deserved the win, but as the USMNT discovered against Portugal, the fútbol gods are cruel and fickle.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:50 PM   #125
HoustonSkinsFan
Camp Scrub

Poor Mexico, just can't shake that knockout stage curse. Controlled the game for the most part until the 88th minute, then it all fell apart.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:58 PM   #126
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonSkinsFan View Post
Poor Mexico, just can't shake that knockout stage curse. Controlled the game for the most part until the 88th minute, then it all fell apart.
I really like their coach,tough match

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:41 PM   #127
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

The extra time in this Greece/Costa Rica game is entertaining. Greeks have had opportunity after opportunity and have been denied every time. I still can't believe they blew that 5 on 2 attack on the goal. Now onto penalty shots!
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 07-01-2014, 03:57 AM   #128
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Go USA , hopefully will be on the way home when this kicks off......or still at work with OT .
Old 07-01-2014, 08:52 AM   #129
HoustonSkinsFan
Camp Scrub

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Key today is consistency. Belgium has the talent to take advantage of even the smallest mistakes. Keep it clean, smart passes, and attack when the opportunities present themselves, and they've got a puncher's chance. After seeing Algeria take Germany to extra time, anything is possible!

Also, Jozy may be available. I don't expect him to start, but perhaps come in around the 75th minute as a "spark," if they need one.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #130
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Old 07-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #131
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I think this could be a world class ass kicking

He Gets Us
Old 07-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #132
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I think this could be a world class ass kicking
Which way? Belgium is loaded with talent (from EPL) but they haven't played worth shit so far. It's a young team who's probably going to be the favorites in the next World Cup.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #133
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Which way? Belgium is loaded with talent (from EPL) but they haven't played worth shit so far. It's a young team who's probably going to be the favorites in the next World Cup.
by Belgium. Yeah, i have a friend who is a soccer nut, him and his wife, they watch premier league and all that bulls*t 24/7 and he pretty much said the exact samething about belgium and next world cup champion. He put money on 2 teams to win it this time, Belgium and Colombia. Not because he thinks they would win, but the payouts/odds were really good. He thinks winner most likely be Germany this time.

He Gets Us
Old 07-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #134
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Actually just texted him and he said any win now by the US is a colossal upset on the world stage. It would offically "plant the flag" for the US program. He also thinks US really isnt that good outside several players....the best being the goalie.

He Gets Us
Old 07-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #135
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Actually just texted him and he said any win now by the US is a colossal upset on the world stage. It would offically "plant the flag" for the US program. He also thinks US really isnt that good outside several players....the best being the goalie.

He's correct. Our players outside of Tim Howard (world class goalie btw) are marginal compared to the rest of the world. Our supposedly best player (Bradley) has done absolutely nothing this World Cup, and a key injury to Jozy hasn't helped much. This team has been getting it done on heart/effort alone and it's fun to watch.