Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Bucs vs. Skins Gameday Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #121
scowan
The Starter

Re: Bucs vs. Skins Gameday Thread

I know it doesn't really matter, but other than a 57 yard knuckball kick by Robbie Gould, the Redskins would have been 4-0 in August. Much better than the Jets! Man is that team sorry or what?
scowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #122
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Banks is going to be a though call. When playing against better players he did not perform. Last night he looked great but was playing against most uys that will not be playing in the NFL come Saturday.
I know FD has spelling issues, but I tend to think this was his hidden way of saying that those who played last night got no "G" (as in game).
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #123
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Banks is going to be a though call. When playing against better players he did not perform. Last night he looked great but was playing against most uys that will not be playing in the NFL come Saturday.
The only reason to keep Banks is because of his punt return skills. If he makes the team and we're told that "he showed enough as a WR" to make the team, I'll be calling b.s. - but very softly. Despite what MS said (and may have even meant at the time), didn't we all know that Banks would ultimately sink or swim by how well he returned punts in preseason? As it turned out, he did very well as a PR in preseason.

The truth is I'd be fine with the decision to keep him as a PR because good field position or an easy 6 points is swell. I believe he would have more impact than a fifth or sixth WR. Plus, the Skins could always use Niles Paul as a WR, as needed.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #124
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I still think you have to keep Banks just cause of his explosivness and they need to get him on the field on offense. If he can't get off the line then put him in motion.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #125
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I think that other players simply offer more all-around than Banks.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #126
scowan
The Starter

So how does the practice squad get filled? I know anyone we cut goes on waivers and can be claimed by another team and then we can filled our 8 man group with some of these former guys or others, but can't some guys not be signed to the practice squad because they have actually been on a team or something?
scowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #127
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I think that other players simply offer more all-around than Banks.
The 5th or 6th wr isn't getting on the field anyway. That person is pretty much a teams player. So if that's the case then can any of the 5th or 6th wr's get you points, flip the field positon or force the punter kick away from him? Banks can do all of those things so IMO that's why you keep him. I hope he makes it but I don't think he does.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #128
imaskin4life
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
The 5th or 6th wr isn't getting on the field anyway. That person is pretty much a teams player. So if that's the case then can any of the 5th or 6th wr's get you points, flip the field positon or force the punter kick away from him? Banks can do all of those things so IMO that's why you keep him. I hope he makes it but I don't think he does.
I agree. If you are going to keep a #6 receiver over Banks then he should have more impact on the game in ACTUALITY - not just potentially. Not good enough if #6 is there "just in case" #1 thru #5 get injured - Banks is contributing on the field right now.
imaskin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #129
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaskin4life View Post
I agree. If you are going to keep a #6 receiver over Banks then he should have more impact on the game in ACTUALITY - not just potentially. Not good enough if #6 is there "just in case" #1 thru #5 get injured - Banks is contributing on the field right now.
Your 6th (and sometimes 5th) receivers typically arent active on gamedays. If Banks were on the roster, his only purpose on this team would be to return kicks and punts. He'd be taking up a gameday roster spot reserved for a receiver who could actually play on offense. I'd think if Banks were active, one or two of Moss, Robinson, or Briscoe would not be. If one or two of our reecivers went down during a game, wed need to rely on Banks to play receiver. Sure, he could return a punt 30 or 40 yards, but we'd end up kicking a field goal becuase he couldnt catch a ball. Or worse, we'd turn the ball over.

Yeah, banks can make some good return plays, but most of the time he doesnt.Most of the time, hes going to run around, try to make something happen and fail. He'd only make a "real" impacted one or two times per year, and that just doesnt warrant a roster spot for me. On any given sunday, there's a MUCH greater chance Robinson or Briscoe would catch a long touchdown pass from Griffin than there is Banks would return a kick to the endzone.

It all comes down to this - Banks potential impact on special teams doesnt outweigh his potential liability on offense. He has the potential to win games for us on special teams, but hes garaunteed to lose games for us on offense. I will be disappointed if Banks makes the roster.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #130
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

The 5th/6th WRS should either have upside at WR or be a savvy veteran. I don't see either in Banks
Old 08-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #131
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

WWBD.........
We have spent much time with this team....looking....hoping a given player was destined for more than they are.
Belichick would cut his ass......to many limitations and Speed is not enough. See Renaldo Nehemiah....Sorry Brandon.
We have started to cut guys that started for us previously. A Very good sign (barring insanity and Vinnie syndrome of course) that our talent level is increasing across the board.
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #132
12thMan
MVP

Was good to see Helu on the field. Hopefully he'll be close to 100% on opening day.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #133
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Was good to see Helu on the field. Hopefully he'll be close to 100% on opening day.
Yeah let's hope. His even being on the field really pleasantly surprised me and a lot of people who are much, more in tune to the team than I am
Old 08-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #134
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Your 6th (and sometimes 5th) receivers typically arent active on gamedays. If Banks were on the roster, his only purpose on this team would be to return kicks and punts. He'd be taking up a gameday roster spot reserved for a receiver who could actually play on offense. I'd think if Banks were active, one or two of Moss, Robinson, or Briscoe would not be. If one or two of our reecivers went down during a game, wed need to rely on Banks to play receiver. Sure, he could return a punt 30 or 40 yards, but we'd end up kicking a field goal becuase he couldnt catch a ball. Or worse, we'd turn the ball over.

Yeah, banks can make some good return plays, but most of the time he doesnt.Most of the time, hes going to run around, try to make something happen and fail. He'd only make a "real" impacted one or two times per year, and that just doesnt warrant a roster spot for me. On any given sunday, there's a MUCH greater chance Robinson or Briscoe would catch a long touchdown pass from Griffin than there is Banks would return a kick to the endzone.

It all comes down to this - Banks potential impact on special teams doesnt outweigh his potential liability on offense. He has the potential to win games for us on special teams, but hes garaunteed to lose games for us on offense. I will be disappointed if Banks makes the roster.
Those "1 or 2" times could be the difference between winning and losing. There's positives and negative on Banks. Did he show enough as a wr? I don't think so and that's why he probably gets cut.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #135
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowan View Post
I know it doesn't really matter, but other than a 57 yard knuckball kick by Robbie Gould, the Redskins would have been 4-0 in August. Much better than the Jets! Man is that team sorry or what?
You had me at " i know it doesnt really matter"......
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote