Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

All things Middle East related

Debating with the enemy

Old 04-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: All things Middle East related

An example of equal rights and violence against women in Egypt from the political party that put Morsi in power:

In response to a proposed United Nations declaration to condemn violence against women, the Brotherhood issued a statement asserting that wives should not have the right to file legal complaints against their husbands for rape, that daughters should not have the same inheritance rights as sons, and that the husband must have "guardianship" over his wife, recommending the "husband's consent in matters like travel, work or use of contraception."

Obviously this is not an minority but a strong political party whose candidate now leads one of the largest Islamic countries in the world.

And to call someone a racist is a bit much

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
And to call someone a racist is a bit much
First gambit of someone with no real argument.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

"Racist" is such an awesomely demonized word it works well on many levels.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Spot on dude, I dont deny any of that.
Congrats, you're a well read bleeding heart.
Sorry, cant get past any of that crap after watching people jump to their deaths from the Trade Center.
I'm not a cheek turner.
Eff all of them.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
That Guy
Living Legend

well, right now the talbian's version of islam says it's cool to recruit 6-10 year olds and turn them into living bombs.

if you haven't seen the first episode of vice (hbo), please check it out. it's like, an actual investigative news show... not worthless/endless opinions or entertainment stories (like fox/cnn/msnbc/etc).
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

BHA, always be wary of 'decent' people in large groups who just follow along.

I will be sticking with 'moslem', it seems apropos.

But on the topic of pronunciation and spelling: This
Old 04-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
BHA, always be wary of 'decent' people in large groups who just follow along.
I will be sticking with 'moslem', it seems apropos.

But on the topic of pronunciation and spelling: This
If you want to continue to use that term, fine. its just not PC and would piss off most muslims. However, it seems you want to piss them off so keep showing your prejudice. It just disturbs me because people with attitudes like yours is the reason so many people in eastern countries hate the US. You want the rest of the world to conform to your personal ideals instead of being respectful of cultural differences. Relationships between cultures will never improve unless both sides are willing to show eachother dignity.

That being said, i would be interested in your expanding on your first statement (bolded). Your point (in relation to this discussion) is not clear to me.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
If you want to continue to use that term, fine. its just not PC and would piss off most muslims.
No, I'm not PC. I dislike that there's an attempt at moral equivalency.

Quote:
However, it seems you want to piss them off so keep showing your prejudice.
I have no respect for those groups.

Quote:
It just disturbs me because people with attitudes like yours is the reason so many people in eastern countries hate the US. You want the rest of the world to conform to your personal ideals instead of being respectful of cultural differences. Relationships between cultures will never improve unless both sides are willing to show eachother dignity.
They hated us before we even knew they hated us. There's a lot of hate built into most (not all) religious doctrine, that's part of how it expands.

Quote:
That being said, i would be interested in your expanding on your first statement (bolded). Your point (in relation to this discussion) is not clear to me.
Religion (large groups) gets a pass because it's people's 'faith' and it should be respected. Why, then, do you supposed good people allow their designated group to do vile things?

Look at Western Europe and how religion is ebbing away in the face of education. It won't be long before society treats people of faith like slow children.

I appreciate the opportunity to discuss this topic, I know it's not popular with most people. So, thanks.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
No, I'm not PC. I dislike that there's an attempt at moral equivalency.

I have no respect for those groups.
I have no respect for the WBC or islamic militants or any other hateful organization, but i do have respect for the majority of individual muslims and christians who are generally "good" people. Thats where i think you and i arent seeing eye to eye. You think everyones an Level 10 asshole. I think 90% of people are level 1 Assholes and you shouldnt judge all the the Assholes level 10 just because a few of them are.

Quote:
They hated us before we even knew they hated us. There's a lot of hate built into most (not all) religious doctrine, that's part of how it expands.

Religion (large groups) gets a pass because it's people's 'faith' and it should be respected. Why, then, do you supposed good people allow their designated group to do vile things?
I agree with everything you say here, but i think you "align" yourself with Western/Christian people when Western/Christian people are just as responsible for building a culture of intolerance and hate.

Quote:
Look at Western Europe and how religion is ebbing away in the face of education. It won't be long before society treats people of faith like slow children.

I appreciate the opportunity to discuss this topic, I know it's not popular with most people. So, thanks.
I'm confident that religion as we know it will be outlawed globally by the UN at some point. I beleive in a Creator, but i also beleive that religions who claim to represent him are responsible for for the vast majority of human suffering. The roots of almost every conflict in history can be traced to religion. Even when religion isnt the direct source of the conflict, it often contributes to it. Do you really think hundreds of millions of men would have killed eachother in WWII if they werent told God was on their sides?
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

All I do is judge people on what they do. Not even what they say they'll do, although if they kill in the name of their <fill_in_the-blank> then I'm forewarned they may just do it again.

I am more aligned with Humanists and freethinkers than any Western Christian group.

Unfortunately, the quickest way to encourage a huge religious revival would be the UN (another deplorably corrupt group) banning religion.

As far as religion being toxic, Amen!* People love to tout Nazi's as Atheists yet they had Gott Mitt Uns on their belt buckles and knives. It just looks better on the scorecard.

A Creator? Ok, you lost me.

*Kidding
Old 04-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #11
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
... As far as religion being toxic, Amen! People love to tout Nazi's as Atheists yet they had Gott Mitt Uns on their belt buckles and knives. It just looks better on the scorecard.
Ehh, I just stick with the Marxists, Maoist and Khmer Rouge - plenty to run up the tally. No need to add in the Nazis, they have their own little niche of crass pandering to popular religion while actually seeking anything but traditional Christianity [In Inside the Third Reich, Albert Speer intimated that Hitler felt that Islam was more aligned with Nazi philosophy than traditional western Christianity].
Old 04-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #12
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

The UN is going to ban religion?
Thats some serious tin foil hat looney talk.....
Old 04-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #13
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
(snip)
BHA, from trying to equate this society with sharia law muslim countries that explicitly discriminate against women, to the UN taking away a basic right people do have whether they abuse it or not (freedom of religion). I agree with AlvinWalton, BHA your posts are insane!

Last edited by HailGreen28; 04-09-2013 at 06:11 PM.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #14
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
BHA, from trying to equate this society with sharia law muslim countries that explicitly discriminate against women, to the UN taking away a basic right people do have whether they abuse it or not (freedom of religion). I agree with AlvinWalton, BHA your posts are insane!
I'm not advocating the UN do it, but with religion behind so many of the worlds problems, it seems a logical next step. At some point, they're going to just say "F@ck all you crazy people spewing hate - enough already." I mean, aside from extremists, who really cares anymore anyway. Does ANYONE go to church?
Old 04-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #15
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
I'm not advocating the UN do it, but with religion behind so many of the worlds problems, it seems a logical next step. At some point, they're going to just say "F@ck all you crazy people spewing hate - enough already." I mean, aside from extremists, who really cares anymore anyway. Does ANYONE go to church?
I agree with you on the ends, in this case. Just not the means. People are born with some rights, whether God exists or not, including choice to worship. That makes banning religion a no-no IMO.

Pretty sure we agree that most churches/mosques/temples/etc do good work, even though RR made a great point about "decent people" of all stripes.

Last edited by HailGreen28; 04-10-2013 at 11:16 PM.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote