Non QB pick 3 5.88%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2024, 12:51 AM   #1276
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Re: 2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
The relevance of the current status of the first three picks from this past draft shines a bright light on our situation in this draft. Lawrence was considered by many to be a future superstar and he was drafted first. To date, he hasn't developed as expected. The other two who were drafted second and third have careers that are in disarray now and they are no longer with the teams that drafted them.

So yes, take your best shot with the No. 2 pick and hope to get your Franchise QB. Do not risk trading away the farm to move up to No. 1 only to be disappointed.
To be fair the (supposedly) #2 and #3 QBs in this years draft have waaay more playing experience at big programs than those guys did.
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-18-2024, 08:30 AM   #1277
PorkSkins
Playmaker

I prefer trading down to possibly in #5-7 range in the draft. I'm not sold on Daniels or Maye. I'd rather have Spencer Rattler (who I have a hunch will be a steal who'll be an early third round pick) than those two.

I'm sure we can find a trade partner within the top 7 picks and load up in '24 and '25 draft picks, respectively.
PorkSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 08:40 AM   #1278
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkSkins View Post
I prefer trading down to possibly in #5-7 range in the draft. I'm not sold on Daniels or Maye. I'd rather have Spencer Rattler (who I have a hunch will be a steal who'll be an early third round pick) than those two.

I'm sure we can find a trade partner within the top 7 picks and load up in '24 and '25 draft picks, respectively.
Rattler over JD and Maye? Thats a Reach my man
Old 03-18-2024, 08:48 AM   #1279
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:

After signing more than a few starters in free agency the holes are less glaring and there is no way we can go that route. We still have 6 picks in the top 100.
Could there be a steal at quarterback somewhere outside the top 3 picks? Yes. Is it likely and am I willing to pass on the top 3 for anyone else including next years crop? No.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 08:51 AM   #1280
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
To be fair the (supposedly) #2 and #3 QBs in this years draft have waaay more playing experience at big programs than those guys did.

Lawrence started at Clemson 4 games into his freshman year.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:07 AM   #1281
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Rattler over JD and Maye? Thats a Reach my man
People are just outthinking themselves.

When you have the chance to take a QB in the top 3 you just do it and don't look back. I know there's no guarantee it works out but you have to take the chance.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:08 AM   #1282
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I think it is a fair comparison because many QB's in many drafts who were taken high have turned out to be busts or at least haven't reached their perceived potential. Numerous "can't miss" prospects have missed and I don't think anyone has discovered the secret formula for drafting a Franchise QB.

Still, GM's must try while knowing they may never succeed in drafting one no matter how thoroughly they evaluate QB prospects. That's because some GM's do win the Franchise QB lottery. But having a great QB won't win you a Super Bowl unless you build a good team around him.

So I think the best way for us to go in this draft is to take our best shot at drafting a great QB with the second pick in the draft and use the remaining picks to build the rest of the team.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 09:20 AM   #1283
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrik View Post
i was all in on Penix UNTIL I watched him on the Big stage in there final game last year .. He was not good !
So you are basing an opinion off of one game? What about the game before against Texas? Do you remember when Lawrence played his last college game? He was totally outplayed by Burrow, had a bad game and was still the #1 overall first pick.

Every single QB will have bad games. Jayden Daniels had and is going to have some really bad games.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 09:23 AM   #1284
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Lawrence started at Clemson 4 games into his freshman year.
Yes , I was referring more to Wilson and Lance at #2 and #3. Obviously Lawrence had a lot of games at a major school, Fields went to Ohio state, but had limited starting to 1 year I think, unless I miss count when Haskins was drafted, and Mac Jones went to Alabama but only started one year.
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 09:51 AM   #1285
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:

I'd rather eat of the toilet than do that. Spencer Rattler isnt better than any of the top 6 QBs in the draft

Also, we are already loaded on 2024 picks (2, 36, 40, 67, 78,100) 6 picks in the top 100 is more than enough to start to draft a team around a QB

Are you a South Carolina fan??

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 10:02 AM   #1286
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post

When you have the chance to take a QB in the top 3 you just do it and don't look back. I know there's no guarantee it works out but you have to take the chance.
Yeah I dont get it either, people really go out of their way to not make sense when it comes to the QB position.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 10:25 AM   #1287
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post

No doubt and with KK here now, there is a low chance they pass up on a QB at 2.

Pick Maye or JD and lets go
Old 03-18-2024, 10:58 AM   #1288
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Yes , I was referring more to Wilson and Lance at #2 and #3. Obviously Lawrence had a lot of games at a major school, Fields went to Ohio state, but had limited starting to 1 year I think, unless I miss count when Haskins was drafted, and Mac Jones went to Alabama but only started one year.

Gotcha.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:38 AM   #1289
PorkSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
I'd rather eat of the toilet than do that. Spencer Rattler isnt better than any of the top 6 QBs in the draft

Also, we are already loaded on 2024 picks (2, 36, 40, 67, 78,100) 6 picks in the top 100 is more than enough to start to draft a team around a QB

Are you a South Carolina fan??
I'm FAR from being a Gamecocks fan. You can put butter, salt, and pepper on the toilet to give it flavor.

My opinion is I'm not sold on those QBs and would prefer to load up on more picks. Picks can also be used as collateral and not actually used for merely drafting.

I think Rattler can turn out to be a steal of a pick and we could pluck him early in the third round.
PorkSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 12:23 PM   #1290
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Rattler has some game no doubt. He is the type of guy that you draft in the 3rd or 4th rounds and let him develop.

Really liked how he played vs a much stronger opponent in Georgia. It's not so much that he lit them up, it's how he kept competing, made a lot of tough throws under pressure, always keeps his eyes downfield and he can run.

Reminds me of a Baker Mayfield type.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote