Coronavirus (political)

Debating with the enemy

Old 08-05-2021, 10:03 AM   #1246
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Coronavirus (political)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Lol…no I’m not gonna comment on the disturbing pattern of men in the New York Democratic Party over the last 10-15 years. a party i support with unapologetically.

but again, what about Trump, as if this somehow excuses this behavior.

What about Tara Reade?
But I don't support them unapologetically. I don't even follow them - because their policies do not have any bearing on where I live.

Advertisements
Old 08-05-2021, 10:23 AM   #1247
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Lol…no I’m not gonna comment on the disturbing pattern of men in the New York Democratic Party over the last 10-15 years. a party i support with unapologetically.

but again, what about Trump, as if this somehow excuses this behavior.

What about Tara Reade?
I had to refamiliarize myself with her and her allegations.

Gonna assume you have already condemned Biden as being guilty of sexual assault because he's put his hands on women's shoulders and done similar things to that before right?

As you can already assume I'm just not sure whether to convict Biden due to the inconsistencies in her story - including her previous support of Biden all those years he wasn't running for president, and her statement saying "I wasn’t scared of him, that he was going to take me in a room or anything. It wasn’t that kind of vibe.” Sure the allegations might be credible - but there's no way to prove it and her story is inconsistent.

Who's up next Chico? What Dem politician is abusing his power or harassing women? Your declining to defend Trump while parading about the systemic pattern of promoting sexual harassers in the NYDP is weak. -5 respect.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:24 AM   #1248
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
The non-lockdown States were the Dakotas, Iowa, Nebraska, Utah ... Id hope we could agree they are a bit different than NY,CA, FL
Florida was a non lock down State.
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:27 AM   #1249
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
bs.
What is BS about it? The nursing home fiasco is widely known, reported on and heck even acknowledged now.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:41 AM   #1250
MTK
\m/

It's simply false to say the nursing homes were the reason for the high early number of cases and deaths in NY. Population density led to it spreading quickly along with NYC being an international travel hub.

Coronavirus Transmission in Queens Drove the First Wave of New York City’s COVID-19 Pandemic

Why New York is the epicenter of the American coronavirus outbreak
Old 08-05-2021, 10:51 AM   #1251
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
It's simply false to say the nursing homes were the reason for the high early number of cases and deaths in NY. Population density led to it spreading quickly along with NYC being an international travel hub.

Coronavirus Transmission in Queens Drove the First Wave of New York City’s COVID-19 Pandemic

Why New York is the epicenter of the American coronavirus outbreak
I know this is an unreliable source but here you go from the New York Times.

"Nearly One-Third of U.S. Coronavirus Deaths Are Linked to Nursing Homes"

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ing-homes.html

Here are more reliable sources.

https://meaww.com/andrew-cuomo-nursi...-deaths-report

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coro...-says/2853434/

Come on now I don't why many here are denying that Cuomo and other Governors (ie New Jersey) completely screwed up with their Nursing Home policies, which exposed the most vulnerable population to COVID, when it has been widely reported that they did so by even the left wing press.

Last edited by nonniey; 08-05-2021 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:15 AM   #1252
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post
I know this is an unreliable source but here you go from the New York Times.

"Nearly One-Third of U.S. Coronavirus Deaths Are Linked to Nursing Homes"

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ing-homes.html

Here are more reliable sources.

https://meaww.com/andrew-cuomo-nursi...-deaths-report

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coro...-says/2853434/
I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make anymore. According to the NYT article nursing homes have accounted for 1/3 of all deaths in the US, that's not even close to accounting for the majority so even if you took those away covid was burning like a wild fire early on killing more than just the most vulnerable.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:19 AM   #1253
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make anymore. According to the NYT article nursing homes have accounted for 1/3 of all deaths in the US, that's not even close to accounting for the majority so even if you took those away covid was burning like a wild fire early on. And of course it killed a ton of people in nursing homes they were the most vulnerable population.
Huh what percentage of the population do you think live in Nursing homes?

https://www.simplyinsurance.com/nurs...me-statistics/

So less than .05% of the population has 40% of the deaths. The issue is Cuomo and other Governors policies sent those infected to the worst possible place they could have sent them (The nursing homes), and then they were reluctant to change those policies for quite some time after it became a disaster, and then they tried to cover it up (Cuomo and probably Whitmer should be going to jail for the later as that was an illegal action).

https://theminnesotasun.com/2021/08/...nto-gov-cuomo/

"........Though the DOJ’s investigation was dropped, Cuomo still faces several other probes related to his nursing home order, as well as allegations of corruption and sexual harassment.....Cuomo is under criminal investigation by the U.S. attorney’s office in the Eastern District of New York (EDNY), along with the FBI, for his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic. Other than the nursing home order itself, the governor is under scrutiny for refusing to release data on nursing home deaths, a decision which the governor blamed on fear of political retaliation from President Donald Trump, and for silencing health officials who attempted to report accurate death numbers.

“There is proof that our governor and his administration went to such great lengths to cover up the true death toll....,”

Last edited by nonniey; 08-05-2021 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:33 AM   #1254
MTK
\m/

Yeah I get the rate of deaths was high in nursing homes, but going back to the original point here, NYC was an early epicenter mainly due to its population density and that's how it spread so quickly and got out of hand early on. Are we agreeing on this or no?
Old 08-05-2021, 11:39 AM   #1255
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Yeah I get the rate of deaths was high in nursing homes, but going back to the original point here, NYC was an early epicenter mainly due to its population density and that's how it spread so quickly and got out of hand early on. Are we agreeing on this or no?
Yes New York was an early epicenter but it was State Government policy (Corrupt policy at that - financial interests were involved) that caused the death rate to be so much higher than the norm.

What I don't get is the need to defend the Governors (New York, New Jersey, Michigan etc) that screwed up their management of the COVID crisis while attacking those that didn't like Florida (events could change this - Maybe New York, New Jersey and Michigan are now handling it well while Florida is now screwing it up - time will tell - remember last year the press was praising those states while condemning Florida they got that wrong then).

Last edited by nonniey; 08-05-2021 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:49 PM   #1256
MTK
\m/

High death rates in nursing homes were a problem in pretty much every state. NY mishandled it for sure, but once the virus gets in the door of a vulnerable population like that its going to do it's thing.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:11 PM   #1257
SunnySide
Playmaker

Re the nursing home issue ...

Where should we have put these elderly after they get out of the hospital/go over covid?

Id assume they were in nursing homes bc family was not around or couldnt care for them to begin with.

Leave them out in the street?

Keep them in the hospitals that needed beds?

What should have happened to them?
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:19 PM   #1258
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Yes New York was an early epicenter but it was State Government policy (Corrupt policy at that - financial interests were involved) that caused the death rate to be so much higher than the norm.

What I don't get is the need to defend the Governors (New York, New Jersey, Michigan etc) that screwed up their management of the COVID crisis while attacking those that didn't like Florida (events could change this - Maybe New York, New Jersey and Michigan are now handling it well while Florida is now screwing it up - time will tell - remember last year the press was praising those states while condemning Florida they got that wrong then).
What I dont get is people praising those who down played Covid in an effort to minimize the financial hit.

To each their own though. I think my gov (Maryland) did a good job. Closed schools, mask mandate, did a lock down. Wish he didnt get skunked on spending millions on covid tests from Korea that ended up being junk. Wish he didnt try and cut off fed unemployment money.

--------------------

Yet for much of the past year, some experts have quietly advanced a counterargument: that economic activity is mainly affected by the rising and falling severity of the pandemic itself — not the relative strictness of the measures implemented to mitigate it. In fact, these experts argued, nonpharmaceutical interventions, or NPIs — a set of 20 government responses such as business closures, mask mandates and stay-at-home advisories that Oxford University rates according to stringency — can have an economic upside. The more the virus seems to be under control, the more eager people will be to participate in the economy.

Last week, this argument got a boost with the publication of a new report by economists at the University of California, Los Angeles. According to the latest quarterly UCLA Anderson Forecast, not only did big states with more stringent COVID measures end 2020 with fewer infections per capita, they also tended to post better economic growth numbers last year than states with fewer restrictions.

In other words, California’s economy actually fared better than Florida’s.

Yahoo News spoke with economist Jerry Nickelsburg, the director of the UCLA Anderson Forecast, to find out more.

https://news.yahoo.com/lockdown-stat...153025163.html
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:19 PM   #1259
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Re the nursing home issue ...

Where should we have put these elderly after they get out of the hospital/go over covid?

Id assume they were in nursing homes bc family was not around or couldnt care for them to begin with.

Leave them out in the street?

Keep them in the hospitals that needed beds?

What should have happened to them?
Good question. It's just a sad reality especially here in the US. We don't do enough for our seniors and they often get the short end of the stick... and the virus especially gave zero F's about them.
Old 08-05-2021, 02:56 PM   #1260
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
What is BS about it? The nursing home fiasco is widely known, reported on and heck even acknowledged now.
What about the Governor of Maryland?