Non QB pick 3 5.88%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2024, 01:36 PM   #1
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Re: 2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I'd bet we'll take a later round QB to develop. After all Peters did strike gold with Mr Irrelevant.
With our last pick of the draft yeah I can see that.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 01:20 PM   #2
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Yeah, after they all but sold the farm to get Lance. Purdy wasn't drafted to be the next franchise guy, he was drafted to be back up to Lance. Had he not go the starting gig through injury, he may never have seen the field.

That's not a sane draft policy for drafting a starting QB. Maybe they'll take an extra QB if BPA in lower rounds, but with MM and Fromm already in the house, I doubt it. Other holes to fill.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 02:29 PM   #3
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
Yeah, after they all but sold the farm to get Lance. Purdy wasn't drafted to be the next franchise guy, he was drafted to be back up to Lance. Had he not go the starting gig through injury, he may never have seen the field.

That's not a sane draft policy for drafting a starting QB. Maybe they'll take an extra QB if BPA in lower rounds, but with MM and Fromm already in the house, I doubt it. Other holes to fill.
Obviously Purdy was an afterthought but the point is it's never a bad thing to keep looking at QBs even when you think you have one.
Old 03-18-2024, 03:18 PM   #4
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Obviously Purdy was an afterthought but the point is it's never a bad thing to keep looking at QBs even when you think you have one.
I agree with that, I just think 49ers lucked into Purdy. I agree you keep picking QB's IF you like something about them enough (and not just because they're there on the board). And maybe you get lucky. I just feel you don't get reckless with the #2 pick; you take the guy the film, reports and your gut says is the best for your situation. You don't trade the farm to go after the #1 pick unless you and everyone around you are convinced he's the guy. You don't trade out of #2 because he might not be the guy. Going for the guy in round in rounds 4-7 with the belief he might be the one is foolish if you have nothing to back up that belief. Don't trade back unless you are certain Daniels and/or Maye is not your guy. Don't reach for a McCarthy or Penix just because you traded back and now HAVE to pick a QB. It's a fine line.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 04:22 PM   #5
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I agree with that, I just think 49ers lucked into Purdy. I agree you keep picking QB's IF you like something about them enough (and not just because they're there on the board). And maybe you get lucky. I just feel you don't get reckless with the #2 pick; you take the guy the film, reports and your gut says is the best for your situation. You don't trade the farm to go after the #1 pick unless you and everyone around you are convinced he's the guy. You don't trade out of #2 because he might not be the guy. Going for the guy in round in rounds 4-7 with the belief he might be the one is foolish if you have nothing to back up that belief. Don't trade back unless you are certain Daniels and/or Maye is not your guy. Don't reach for a McCarthy or Penix just because you traded back and now HAVE to pick a QB. It's a fine line.
You definitely trade out of # 2 (or pick another position), if you're not convinced one of those QBs is your guy. Doing otherwise would be foolish. You can regret the decision later, but you don't just take a QB at #2 to take a QB...same goes for any pick at any point in the draft.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 05:25 PM   #6
Darrell Green Fan
Special Teams

Quote:

Not too many team could afford to give up what the Niners did to be able to draft Trey Lance, have him bust, and still remain contenders. They drafted so well they could overcome this miss. That's so impressive and gives me more reason to be excited.
Darrell Green Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 02:55 PM   #7
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

My take away from that draft is that Peters' learned first hand how easy it is for even extremely competent people to overestimate and underestimate the quarterback position.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 04:29 PM   #8
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Rattler has terrible mechanics, field vision, and a low football IQ according to his scouting profile. If He cannot think quick enough in college he is going to get absolutely destroyed in the pros.

If there is some quarterback that is hanging around in the 7th round who has potential than sure take a shot but I would rather find a ST contributor or solid depth elsewhere before I look for a third string quarterback to replace Fromm who I like.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 06:50 PM   #9
rocnrik
Playmaker

i would draft 2 QB's .. Whoever with the #2 and later on find another Kirk Cousins in the 4-5 rounds ( which is why i thought trading Sam was a mistake but if we could get another QB it would be great ) signing Marcus M was a mistake .. Fromm ? , we a gambling that the #2 overall pick is the FRANCHISE QB we need ! i hope it works out .
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 07:22 PM   #10
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrik View Post
i would draft 2 QB's .. Whoever with the #2 and later on find another Kirk Cousins in the 4-5 rounds ( which is why i thought trading Sam was a mistake but if we could get another QB it would be great ) signing Marcus M was a mistake .. Fromm ? , we a gambling that the #2 overall pick is the FRANCHISE QB we need ! i hope it works out .
I am confused by some of the people here, all we heard before this college season is that this is one of the strongest QB classes in years especially at the top, were in position to draft one without having to give anything up and people are backpedaling better than Revis in 2009.

Since 2000 theres only been 5 SBs that didnt involve a first round pick at QB at all, and 4 of those 5 involved Tom Brady, the one that didn't 2002.

We have six picks in the top 100 (Then 2 more in the next 55) and have made very smart FA moves and we have players Allen, Payne, McLaurin, and Cosmi that weve seen play at a high to very high level.

Let's all take a breath and get ready to welcome either Daniels or Maye to the team.

Also, Mariota is a backup thats why he was brought here, dont know why we are panicing about him.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 06:32 AM   #11
Darrell Green Fan
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
I am confused by some of the people here, all we heard before this college season is that this is one of the strongest QB classes in years especially at the top, were in position to draft one without having to give anything up and people are backpedaling better than Revis in 2009.

Since 2000 theres only been 5 SBs that didnt involve a first round pick at QB at all, and 4 of those 5 involved Tom Brady, the one that didn't 2002.

We have six picks in the top 100 (Then 2 more in the next 55) and have made very smart FA moves and we have players Allen, Payne, McLaurin, and Cosmi that weve seen play at a high to very high level.

Let's all take a breath and get ready to welcome either Daniels or Maye to the team.

Also, Mariota is a backup thats why he was brought here, dont know why we are panicing about him.
Part in bold is a great stat, thanks for supplying it.

As I had posted earlier after watching a bunch of their complete games, not clips the full game, I have done a complete 180 and am firmly on Jayden Daniels. Maye does everything well, I tried to convince myself that he is the guy, but he does nothing special. One look at Jayden Daniels and you can see special. If you are going to take a swing take a big swing on someone who could be special, not a guy who could top out at David Carr. As I'm pretty convinced Peters was in on Lance I have to believe that won't make him gun shy and they will go with the guy who could be special.
Darrell Green Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 07:47 AM   #12
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post

I wanna expand on this line Quake so bear with me. Let's look at all the Super Bowl winning qb's since the year 1999 (which can be argued is a turning point in modernizing passing offenses).

99 - Kurt Warner (HOFer, undrafted, original team)
00 - Trent Dilfer (backup, HOF defense, 1st round, 2nd team)
01 - Tom Brady (GOAT, 6th round, original team)
02 - Brad Johnson (solid, HOF defense, 9th round, 3rd team)
03- Tom Brady (GOAT, 6th round, original team)
04 - Tom Brady (GOAT, 6th round, original team)
05 - Ben Roethlisberger (above average, great defense, 1st round, original team)
06 - P. Manning (HOFer, 1st overall, original team)
07 - E. Manning (average qb, clutch, great defense, 1st round, original team)
08 - Ben Roethlisberger (above average, great defense, 1st round, original team)
09 - Drew Brees (HOFer, 2nd round, 2nd team)
10 - Aaron Rodgers (HOFer, 1st round, original team)
11 - E. Manning (average qb, clutch, great defense,1st round, original team)
12 - Joe Flacco (above average, clutch, good defense, 1st round, original team)
13 - Russell Wilson (elite qb, good defense, 3rd round, original team)
14 - Tom Brady (GOAT, 6th round, original team)
15 - P. Manning (HOFer, 1st overall, 2nd team)
16 - Tom Brady (GOAT, 6th round, original team)
17 - Nick Foles (backup qb, clutch, 3rd round, original team)
18 - Tom Brady (GOAT, 6th round, original team)
19 - P. Mahomes (HOFer, 11th overall, original team)
20 - Tom Brady (GOAT, 6th round, 2nd team)
21 - Matt Stafford (elite, good defense, 1st overall, 2nd team)
22 - P. Mahomes (HOFer, 11th overall, original team)
23 - P. Mahomes (HOFer, 11th overall, original team)

Let's remove Brady from the equation because he's the GOAT and an anomaly - the odds of another qb winning 7 titles is slim because Brady took care of himself/seeking every competitive edge well into his 40's). The odds of drafting the next Brady are incredibly slim (as of 2021 there were 721 qb's who played in the NFL and Brady is 1 of 721, meaning you have a roughly 0.13% odds of finding the next Brady).

Highlights - With Brady out Mahomes is 2nd in line to the throne with 3 titles. He was drafted 11th overall. Out of the 25 year sample size (remove 7 for Brady) the other 18 years 11 of those titles came from 1st round qb's still with their original team.

Let's expand on that a bit. How many teams won titles with a qb they drafted in the 1st round? Of those 18 non-Brady years, 11 titles were won by teams with original drafted qb's in the first round (Both Manning brothers - 3 titles, Mahomes - 3 titles, Roethlisberger - 2 titles, Flacco/Wilson/Rodgers - 1 title ea). So that's a roughly 60% chance of winning a title with the qb you drafted in the first round. Good odds, but not overwhelming. Obviously you need a solid to great defense and some playmakers who can perform in clutch moments.

Looking at this from another angle in the last 6 years Nick Foles was the only non-first round qb to win a title. Stafford was on his 2nd team but they paid a premium for him. Mahomes and Brady are the other winners.

Yet another angle: 19 out of 25 years a qb won the SB with their original team. Remove Brady from the equation and it drops to 12/18.

Just to summarize - qb is one of those positions you gotta keep swinging at. I wasn't a fan of this approach but if you don't have a good qb you are wasting seasons in this league. If you know your guy isn't the guy you gotta keep swinging until you find the guy. I believe Daniels or Maye will be the choice and we'll also take a developmental guy at the end of the draft. The odds of you winning a SB with some other guy's QB are slimmer than finding the guy, whether that be in the first round or otherwise. But if you are gonna win with a qb that wasn't drafted in the first round he better have an amazing complimentary defense.
Old 03-19-2024, 08:34 AM   #13
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I wanna expand on this line Quake so bear with me. Let's look at all the Super Bowl winning qb's since the year 1999 (which can be argued is a turning point in modernizing passing offenses).

05 - Ben Roethlisberger (above average, great defense, 1st round, original team)
08 - Ben Roethlisberger (above average, great defense, 1st round, original team)

Let's remove Brady from the equation because he's the GOAT and an anomaly - the odds of another qb winning 7 titles is slim because Brady took care of himself/seeking every competitive edge well into his 40's). The odds of drafting the next Brady are incredibly slim (as of 2021 there were 721 qb's who played in the NFL and Brady is 1 of 721, meaning you have a roughly 0.13% odds of finding the next Brady).

Highlights - With Brady out Mahomes is 2nd in line to the throne with 3 titles. He was drafted 11th overall. Out of the 25 year sample size (remove 7 for Brady) the other 18 years 11 of those titles came from 1st round qb's still with their original team.

Let's expand on that a bit. How many teams won titles with a qb they drafted in the 1st round? Of those 18 non-Brady years, 11 titles were won by teams with original drafted qb's in the first round (Both Manning brothers - 3 titles, Mahomes - 3 titles, Roethlisberger - 2 titles, Flacco/Wilson/Rodgers - 1 title ea). So that's a roughly 60% chance of winning a title with the qb you drafted in the first round. Good odds, but not overwhelming. Obviously you need a solid to great defense and some playmakers who can perform in clutch moments.

Looking at this from another angle in the last 6 years Nick Foles was the only non-first round qb to win a title. Stafford was on his 2nd team but they paid a premium for him. Mahomes and Brady are the other winners.

Yet another angle: 19 out of 25 years a qb won the SB with their original team. Remove Brady from the equation and it drops to 12/18.

Just to summarize - qb is one of those positions you gotta keep swinging at. I wasn't a fan of this approach but if you don't have a good qb you are wasting seasons in this league. If you know your guy isn't the guy you gotta keep swinging until you find the guy. I believe Daniels or Maye will be the choice and we'll also take a developmental guy at the end of the draft. The odds of you winning a SB with some other guy's QB are slimmer than finding the guy, whether that be in the first round or otherwise. But if you are gonna win with a qb that wasn't drafted in the first round he better have an amazing complimentary defense.
first round definitely makes a difference but what is interesting how many of the 23 you listed were or were not the darlings of their draft class say in the top 3 or 5 picks; basically who the media drooled over before the draft like (JD CW and DM)

Mahomes and Josh Allen definitely were not debated before their drafts as the next great things

I also say SB wins probably isn't the absolute measuring stick of QB success; I be very happy with Josh Allen or i suppose Lamar right now and competing for a chance at a SB ring
Old 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM   #14
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post

Fuck Yeah Moobs!
Another thing I want to point out, Mahomes was the only first round pick on the Chiefs starting Offense in the SB.
Purdy had several 1st round picks and 2 or 3 HOF'ers.
I don't think the chiefs win the SB with another QB. Niners would've won with Stafford or 5 other QBs (Healthy)

One more thing to add, ProBowl QBs:
Tua, Lamar, Patrick, Brock, Stafford, and Dakota Rayne.
Stafford is the only classic drop back QB. The game has evolved away from two TE sets and a blocking fullback. Big lumbering Carson Wentz style QBs are a thing of the past unless they have Manning/Brady football IQ.

BTW, my QB rankings
CW
JD
McCarthy
Howell 2.0 (Maye)
Greg Oden 2.0 (Penix)

Penix would've been a top 5 pick if he wasn't as fragile as Greg Oden.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 06:52 PM   #15
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

PFN will offer some outrageous deals. But when you try to propose your own deal and the simulator turns into a real asshole. I offered Vikings No. 2 for No.'s 11/23. They would do that trade in real life in a fucking heartbeat. But nope, rejected.

sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote