Official Cuts from Around the NFL Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #106
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Fines do not count against the cap.

Fines might not count, but the team waving fines incurred for violating cba rules should be paid and if a team waives them then that seems like it should count towards their cap, just as any other bonus would.

edit: fixed wrong quote

Last edited by CRedskinsRule; 09-02-2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: quote was wrong
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #107
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Official Cuts from Around the NFL Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Fines might not count, but the team waving fines incurred for violating cba rules should be paid and if a team waives them then that seems like it should count towards their cap, just as any other bonus would.
What in the hell? Quoting posts from 8 years ago! Crazy

Irony about these fines is that they all go to charities (most of which go to NFL Retired Players funds)...so the money is going to future MJD
Old 09-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #108
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Yep, or else everyone would 'hold out' just so that they can miss training camp and no have to pay a fine for missing work.
Well, "everyone else" is not MJD. Let's think who could possibly get away with that on the Skins - certainly not any of the current backs. Orakpo? maybe. Anybody else? Moss? nope. Hankerson? nope.

To a certain extent it's one of the perks of being a star player. "Okay, you hold out, we waive the fines. If you suck b/c of the holdout, however, you will get cut/traded/go away next year so you better make sure you know what you are doing."
Old 09-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #109
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Yeah CRed, what is the deal and I don't really see how that old post is relevant to the fines of MJD. ~
Old 09-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #110
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
What in the hell? Quoting posts from 8 years ago! Crazy

Irony about these fines is that they all go to charities (most of which go to NFL Retired Players funds)...so the money is going to future MJD
blame tapatalk! I was quoting one responding to me
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #111
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 goes 50 gut View Post
Why? Who can blame any NFL player trying to get paid more when teams are so avid to use them up and throw them on the trash heap, even if they're fan favorites?

The teams don't have to abide by their own contracts except for guaranteed money... Why should players be bothered to?
The teams have to abide by the contract language that was negotiated into the CBA....and they do. Each contract contains language that the team can cancel the contract at any time, particularly for the team having another player that performs better. The fines levied on MJD were also something negotiated into the CBA. They're to prevent players who sign contracts with large up-front bonuses from holding out.

Quote:
I think the next CBA players should hold out to break non-guaranteed contracts. Might not be best for the game (because it would lower competition for roster spots and that would be a shame), and it definitely wouldn't be best for owners who can basically discard any player the moment they've used them up, but it would be the right thing for the players.
Good luck with that.....9 years from now.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #112
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
So what consequences do the owners have when they cut the player before the contract is up?
None, because that's what was negotiated in the CBA.

What consequence does the player have to face when he signs a contract with a fat roster bonus and then his production drops off.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #113
Redskin Warrior
The Starter

Sorry if it was already posted but I didn't see that Kevin Barnes got cut by the Lions....so what did we receive for him make the 53 man roster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #114
44 goes 50 gut

Quote:
The teams have to abide by the contract language that was negotiated into the CBA....and they do. Each contract contains language that the team can cancel the contract at any time, particularly for the team having another player that performs better. The fines levied on MJD were also something negotiated into the CBA. They're to prevent players who sign contracts with large up-front bonuses from holding out.

Good luck with that.....9 years from now.
I'm not sure whats more disconcerting in your post. Wishing me luck on a NFLPA matter, or the pointless lecture on the incredibly obvious.
44 goes 50 gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #115
44 goes 50 gut

Quote:
None, because that's what was negotiated in the CBA.
So does that make it right? It seems like (and hey maybe I'm reading you wrong) these two posts you're arguing that because the status quo exists. That justifies it and makes it right. The owners use players up and toss them away with Fans such as yourself applauding. While smarter players who try and leverage their abilities and hold out, are hated on by fans because "they are breaking their contract".

Sorry but I'm not going to base my sympathies on the letter of the CBA without bothering to think about it.

Quote:
What consequence does the player have to face when he signs a contract with a fat roster bonus and then his production drops off.
The team can and often does renegotiate the contract downward. Of course the player can simply be cut without pay beyond any guaranteed money... I'm sure you're not genuinely meaning to ask that question and you had some point in mind but I'm not sure what it is?

Does it happen in a few select high profile cases that Players get the better of ownership? Sure, but for every Haynesworth or Deon Sanders making an owner look like an idiot (or proving him to be one), there's a dozen lesser players who spend the rest of their lives with messed up knees, a limp, post concussion syndrome, early onset arthritis etc. and all they got was a thank you and a bus ticket, or at best a pennies on the dollar injury settlement.
44 goes 50 gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #116
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Raiders cut CB DeMarcus VanDyke. Want a fast CB? DVD ran a 4.28 forty.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #117
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
He's not that good.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #118
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Al Davis's philosophy: Get 'em if they're fast, even if they're no good." Pass….
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #119
T.O.Killa
The Starter

I would give him a shot. He was really raw but can run.
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #120
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 goes 50 gut View Post
So does that make it right? It seems like (and hey maybe I'm reading you wrong) these two posts you're arguing that because the status quo exists. That justifies it and makes it right. The owners use players up and toss them away with Fans such as yourself applauding. While smarter players who try and leverage their abilities and hold out, are hated on by fans because "they are breaking their contract".

Sorry but I'm not going to base my sympathies on the letter of the CBA without bothering to think about it.
Don't know how smart MJD's holdout was, he gained nothing, hurt his public image, is behind in conditioning and learning the playbook.

Never said anything about "hating" MJD. Just saying if a player(likely under agent advice) is going to pull a hold-out make sure he's got leverage to make it work. And the "evil" owners "throwing away" players line is tired. The coaches are the ones who make the cut decisions. In a violent game like football, no way there will ever be guaranteed contracts.

Quote:
The team can and often does renegotiate the contract downward. Of course the player can simply be cut without pay beyond any guaranteed money... I'm sure you're not genuinely meaning to ask that question and you had some point in mind but I'm not sure what it is?
Never heard of a team negotiating a contract downward? Example?