Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Commanders 2023 Off-Season Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: How would you address the QB1 situation for 2023?
Swing big in a trade for a veteran 2 3.77%
Trade up in the draft for a top prospect 4 7.55%
See who hits free agency 7 13.21%
Sit tight with Howell 35 66.04%
Other 5 9.43%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2023, 08:45 AM   #106
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Commanders 2023 Off-Season Thread

It looks like we will have the 16th pick

Advertisements
Old 01-09-2023, 11:10 AM   #107
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I think I'm with you on keeping Thomas, but just wanted to say that you and I aren't looking at the same contract. His cap number in 2023 is $8.8M. We'd save $5.3M if we parted ways.

I'd still keep him - I think he'll be useful again as he gets healthier. He was particularly terrible as a blocker this year but I think that gets better as he gets his legs under him.
I assumed instead of checking the actual contract, it's a little bit higher than I thought it would be. Nonetheless, we should keep him.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 01:58 PM   #108
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

https://twitter.com/NBCSCommanders/s...08565658296323

Daron is talking like a guy who's ready to get paid, and couldn't care less who pays him.

I'd make him an offer but we need to establish a line we won't go over, and if he wants more he walks. Or we could explore doing a sign-and-trade? Is that a thing in the NFL?

Gotta be honest, his play this year finally reflected his draft position but the way he talks makes me wonder if he will continue to play at that level once he gets paid. I'm getting Haynesworth vibes from him.
Old 01-09-2023, 02:11 PM   #109
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
https://twitter.com/NBCSCommanders/s...08565658296323

Daron is talking like a guy who's ready to get paid, and couldn't care less who pays him.

I'd make him an offer but we need to establish a line we won't go over, and if he wants more he walks. Or we could explore doing a sign-and-trade? Is that a thing in the NFL?

Gotta be honest, his play this year finally reflected his draft position but the way he talks makes me wonder if he will continue to play at that level once he gets paid. I'm getting Haynesworth vibes from him.
I wouldn't expect him to talk otherwise, and definitely his agent wouldn't want him to say otherwise.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 02:23 PM   #110
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

I will not be surprised based on his season that someone will over pay for him. I hope the FO and him can come to reasonable terms but not going to bank on it.
Old 01-09-2023, 02:27 PM   #111
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I’d be surprised if Payne comes back and honestly if he wants $18M or so a year that’s tough to do when you need a line so damn bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2023, 02:52 PM   #112
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I’d be surprised if Payne comes back and honestly if he wants $18M or so a year that’s tough to do when you need a line so damn bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would pay him and with my first pick get an OL, second OL. If you are not paying for FA OL Payne can get paid. Seattle was able to draft 2 starting Tackles, it can be done. There should be plenty of $$ for Payne, Curl and possibly Holcomb. I would cut McCain, Thomas, trade Samuel, restructure Roullier and get more cap space that way.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 03:01 PM   #113
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

https://twitter.com/PeteHaileyNBCS/s...42259433070595

Good summary of the inaugural Commanders season.
Old 01-09-2023, 03:18 PM   #114
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I just don't feel like you pay two guys that much money at DT. They just played their best game of the year w/out Allen. They can tag Payne and keep him for one more year. I know that pisses off the player but it is what it is.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 03:19 PM   #115
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
I will not be surprised based on his season that someone will over pay for him. I hope the FO and him can come to reasonable terms but not going to bank on it.
I would submit a reasonable contract and highlight the fact he was great this year and compare it to full body of work. I would prepare to tag him and I would call teams to let them know they can negotiate a deal. He gets a better one, I wouldn’t be stingy with compensation… late 2nd round maybe a switch to move up with another…maybe a couple 3rds in in consecutive years.

But I will say if we lose Payne then we go to Montez and try to work something out early.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 03:21 PM   #116
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I just don't feel like you pay two guys that much money at DT. They just played their best game of the year w/out Allen. They can tag Payne and keep him for one more year. I know that pisses off the player but it is what it is.
I thought Ridgeway and other DT flashed well. Also we got the other 2nd round DT pick coming next year. I think we much more prepared to lose Payne than Montez who really play well after a slow first third of the year

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 03:26 PM   #117
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I thought Ridgeway and other DT flashed well. Also we got the other 2nd round DT pick coming next year. I think we much more prepared to lose Payne than Montez who really play well after a slow first third of the year
Ridgeway had his best game and was responsible for Dallas lack of a running game, he ate people up. He suffered a torn pectoral muscle and sat the 2nd half. Love the Vanilla Gorilla!!

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 01-09-2023, 03:29 PM   #118
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
I think it will be tough for Rivera to find a new OC because almost everyone knows Rivera will be on a hot seat next year.
Exactly how I feel about it, plus Turner was extended. The only guy coming here to run the offense will be another Ron retread from Carolina or Zampese. I kinda lean that Scott comes back.

I don't like this offense or this version of it. I don't like all of the shotgun. I don't like the lack of audibles. Not enough quick slants. I don't like all the gimmick stuff to Samuel. You should be able to get Samuel the ball out of the slot. They did it the first game of the year. What happened? I don't like the weak play action plays. They don't fool anyone.

I know it's a dead position but I love having a true fullback on the roster. I don't like all this running out of shotgun. Not a fan.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 03:33 PM   #119
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

We must be the only team that lets 1st round picks walk, we had many leave to get a 3rd rounder, this pattern needs to stop. One interesting tidbit, since 1968-present there have been 25 years were Washington didn't have a 1st round pick. George Allen and Beathard traded a lot of them.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 01-09-2023, 04:04 PM   #120
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I agree. I hope we tag him and trade him, hopefully sometime around the draft for something better than a 3rd rounder.