Re: World Cup

R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-26-2014, 02:25 PM   #107
HoustonSkinsFan
Camp Scrub

US had some great possessions, and some great defensive plays. Worst game so far, maybe, but also the toughest opponent they've faced so far as well. That's no coincidence! All told, 0-1 was a great result against a side like Germany.
HoustonSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:29 PM   #108
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonSkinsFan View Post
US had some great possessions, and some great defensive plays. Worst game so far, maybe, but also the toughest opponent they've faced so far as well. That's no coincidence! All told, 0-1 was a great result against a side like Germany.

Maybe two and that came in the last minute. Other than that Germany dominated the ball as noted by the time of possession. I will give the US team in that they played very good defensively, but that offense sucks balls.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #109
HoustonSkinsFan
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Maybe two and that came in the last minute. Other than that Germany dominated the ball as noted by the time of possession. I will give the US team in that they played very good defensively, but that offense sucks balls.
Come on, there were a few possessions in the first half where they kept the ball for several minutes. After that initial onslaught from Germany where their barely touched the ball, they looked much better. Germany controlled, but they're a much better side; you'd expect them to control.

The US offense was close a couple times, and were close to generating some great chances off those solid possessions.

Oh well, folks will always have different opinions. I thought they played a good game against a Cup favorite. Howard kept them in it, but that's what a strong goalie is supposed to do.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:49 PM   #110
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Missed the whole game I will try to get to it later . 1-0 is a good result against a team like Germany ,be thankfull and lets move on .
Old 06-26-2014, 04:38 PM   #111
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Missed the whole game I will try to get to it later . 1-0 is a good result against a team like Germany ,be thankfull and lets move on .
Especially since they killed Portugal 5-0.
R.I.P. #21
Old 06-26-2014, 11:22 PM   #112
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Fuck it, I'm moving to Germany.

750 Sofas auf dem Spielfeld: Das WM-Wohnzimmer in Berlin-Köpenick - Video - Video - FOCUS Online

"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 06-27-2014, 07:08 AM   #113
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

something about this sport i dont really like is the enthusism for "ties". Why no OT? Why not a 15 minute break before a 30 min OT period. I think that is some weak bs.

So far the lame:

1. Flopping over sissy injuries
2. Ties are good somehow, no OT
3. little to no scoring

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:34 AM   #114
HoustonSkinsFan
Camp Scrub

Bring on Belgium! They might be the most talented roster at the World Cup, but so far they've lacked a cohesiveness and a sense of teamwork. They've only really been playing together for a year, however, so that's too be expected. I think in four years this team will be dangerous, but this year they're ripe for the upset. It will take much better possession than the USA had against Germany, and they'll need Bradley to get back to being Bradley. He's been terrible, with respect to his skill level. Probably need a "wow" moment out of Dempsey also.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #115
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Found this hilarious:

"Don't really understand soccer," tweeted KP Anderson, executive producer for the entertainment show the Soup. "How many games do we have to tie or lose before we win the World Cup?"

BBC News - Winning by losing: The (un)American way?

He Gets Us
Old 06-27-2014, 04:33 PM   #116
Ruhskins
Living Legend

I don't understand how people get their panties in a bunch about how the US got into the second round, when a lot of these scenarios take place in the NFL and other sports. Granted, that you don't see many ties in US sports, save for hockey. But there are a lot of playoff scenarios situations in all sports, where a team may still make the playoffs, even if they lose their last game.
R.I.P. #21
Old 06-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #117
donofriose
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I don't understand how people get their panties in a bunch about how the US got into the second round, when a lot of these scenarios take place in the NFL and other sports. Granted, that you don't see many ties in US sports, save for hockey. But there are a lot of playoff scenarios situations in all sports, where a team may still make the playoffs, even if they lose their last game.
A lot of teams bench their starters the last two or three games of the season depending on their positions. Colts used to do that all the time with Manning. I think any reason people hate soccer can be applicable to any other sport.
donofriose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #118
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
But we tied or loss 2 outta the 3 games and advanced? Dafuq? So that was the group of death? Go USA

He Gets Us
Old 06-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #119
Giantone
Gamebreaker

It's a point system ,no need for rocket science .There are shoot outs in some games put not in a tournament of this nature .If people remember the US women vs China in the world cup .

Old 06-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #120
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:

It really boils down to ignorance. They have no clue how the tournament works so anything that deviates from their culture is frowned upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
But we tied or loss 2 outta the 3 games and advanced? Dafuq? So that was the group of death? Go USA
The World Cup is two parts. The first part is group play, which consist of 8 groups with 4 teams each. To make it to the next round, you have to be in the top two in your group. You win your group by a point system.

win = 3 points
tie= 1 point
loss = 0 point

Tie breakers are based on the goal differentials.

NFL/NHL has ties, and many times NFL playoff scenarios come down to different tie breakers (just like soccer). I'd say the NFL system was more complex than soccer.

Yes, we were in the group of death. Why was it called that? Well, we had the #2, #4, and #12 ranked teams all in the same group. Truthfully, they have Ghana severely underrated because they have them ranked lower than teams that didn't even qualify for the WC. We are fortunate that Portugal pretty much played with 3 starters down the entire time. Germany and Portugal realistically should have dominated this group.

The FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking - Ranking Table - FIFA.com

The 2nd part to the World Cup is the 16 team elimination round. Here it becomes like the NCAA tournament. You win, you advance. You lose, you go home. There are no ties in this round. If the match ends in a tie, the game is decided by penalty kicks.