Redskins at Bears Post Game Thoughts

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #106
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Re: Redskins at Bears Post Game Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
If I'd have posted last night, I would have been like OMGZZZ!111, but after a good night's sleep and some perspective, I was actually pleased with the play of all our depth guys with the exception of the offensive line.

You never know what you're going to get when it comes to preseason game plans. Did the Bears plan a little more? Maybe so. I thought RG3 looked pretty good as far as QBs go. Didn't get a lot of opportunities when he was running for his life. The passes he did complete I was very happy with.

Cousins looked great against backups, but you can only play the people in the game at that time and I thought he owned them. Good to see he was decisive and good to see Robinson and Briscoe step up.

In the end, Cedric Griffin is not a starting corner. Cutler just picked his ass apart. It was either a quick drop or max protect so that's part of the reason we didn't get there for pressure. I was STILL super pissed we lost over a freaking 57 yard field goal after how well Cousins did in the 2 minute drill.
Also, I noted that in the third quarter I think it was the announcers pointed out that Haslett must have gotten tired of only rushing 3 player from the line and started rushing 4 or 5 rushers which made the defense get their sacks. I'm thinking Haslett used only 3 DL cause he wanted to see how those three would play. Maybe trying to see if they could get a decent rush with just 3DL, maybe trying to decide who played the best to keep on the roster.

There is a lot of behind the scene stuff we fans don't know about, putting the defense in specific situations just to see how specific players will do. Preseason isn't all about wins.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #107
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
I dunno about this. Cousins is going to develop into a starter QB and I doubt he's going to be happy playing second fiddle for more than a few years.
Cousins is locked in for 3 years. I don't want to annoint him yet based on pre=season (see Pineapple Jesus), but he is showing some ability and I agree there's a good chance he develops into a capable starter. If we are able to trade him for a 2nd or better in the off-season after his yr. 3 it's a great win for the FO. If he does develop as you say, you're 100% correct we won't be able to pay him what he'll get on the market.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #108
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

They tried experimenting a bit with Hall at safety yesterday, to not much success.

And, barring injury, there is zero chance of Paul not making the team
Old 08-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #109
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
our first team defense looked like trash. offensive line looked like trash (again)
I'm not saying our OL will be awesome, but as I already said with the DL and Haslett only rushing 3 people the whole first half, maybe the OL was only playing man to man instead of zone blocking? Maybe the coaching staff sent in plays that wouldn't completely stop the Bears cause they wanted to see if RG3 would change to the right play call or if he would pick up the blitz and look for his hot WR? There is a lot we don't know.

They were even talking about how the coaching staff was using some of Baylor's spread offense.....maybe they were trying some of those plays out?

When the runs not working ya gotta go to the pass to get the defense to back off the line, but the Bears stacked the line and I didn't see as many roll outs this week which might have backed a defense off a little.

Lastly if the Bears are a SB contender why give them any decent film to watch later if we happen to make it into the play offs?
Old 08-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #110
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Cousins is locked in for 3 years. I don't want to annoint him yet based on pre=season (see Pineapple Jesus), but he is showing some ability and I agree there's a good chance he develops into a capable starter. If we are able to trade him for a 2nd or better in the off-season after his yr. 3 it's a great win for the FO. If he does develop as you say, you're 100% correct we won't be able to pay him what he'll get on the market.

I'm not sure why people have the idea of fixing Cousins up prim and propper then trading him away for picks? I mean I get the idea but who is supposed to start if RG3 is out a game or two? I'd rather have him then Grossman as backup. And the only reason teams like the Patriots get away with it is cause they already have a #1 and #2 QB so they develope a third and trade them away for picks.

We don't have that luxery.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #111
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
They tried experimenting a bit with Hall at safety yesterday, to not much success.

So does that mean we keep Paulsen or Cooley? Cause at this point, I would lean towards Paulsen.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #112
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I'm not sure why people have the idea of fixing Cousins up prim and propper then trading him away for picks? I mean I get the idea but who is supposed to start if RG3 is out a game or two? I'd rather have him then Grossman as backup. And the only reason teams like the Patriots get away with it is cause they already have a #1 and #2 QB so they develope a third and trade them away for picks.

We don't have that luxery.
If he develops into a starter (and God willing he won't see any game action), unfortunately there's a salary cap. We won't be able to sign him to a reasonable contract as a back-up. We can hold him for his 4th yr., but after that he'll surely leave and we'll get nothing.

Grossman should only be here as long as Shanny Jr, to mentor the young QBs in his system, if he sees the field....we're F'd.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #113
IrMitchell
Impact Rookie

Quote:

Yep and it's questionable because he just isn't very good.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #114
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
So does that mean we keep Paulsen or Cooley? Cause at this point, I would lean towards Paulsen.
I expect the TEs to be Davis, Paul, and Paulsen
Old 08-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #115
skinsnut
Playmaker

Quote:
I expect the TEs to be Davis, Paul, and Paulsen
Are you expecting a Cooley trade or an outright cut?
Old 08-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #116
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Barring injury, cut
Old 08-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #117
That Guy
Living Legend

it sucks that one knee injury turns you into a crappy TE :/ I think cooley can probably play pretty well still, but since i haven't seen him on the field at all really, it's hard to tell.

that said, the zone scheme requires a good blocking TE since the RB reads inside/outside cuts based off of his ability to stop his guy, so paul and paulsen wouldn't surprise me at all.

next offseason imagine we'll be grabbing a good RT and OG and switching out hall with someone that can play better coverage. i think we got spoiled by champ and DG and springs (when healthy) and ST and all them. we've had great #1 DBs for a long time, but the defensive philosophy's changed.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #118
skinsnut
Playmaker

Here's an idea at TE.
Davis cant/wont block...that is essential for us.
Why not keep Cooley, Paulsen, Niles Paul, and trade Davis.
I know he has amazing upside...but he sucks at blocking which is critical for us.
He has trade value now, and paulsen can block, cooley is ok and niles paul is developing and loves to hit. We have serious needs at RT and corner and safety.
Why not replace Davis with a blocking TE like Paulsen, and add a far better RT acquired through a trade?
I would much rather give RG3 1 more second to pass and a better running game that one more great pass catcher?

Imagine a legit blocking TE and RT on the edges with developing young interior draft pick talent to shore up our Oline?...we can live without a top TE...we cant live with crappy blocking, not with a rookie QB. Cooley has hands, apparantly so does Paulsen..let the trade Davis talk begin!
Old 08-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #119
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
LL had a good game for the Jets.
He's a stud... Until he gets hurt again
Old 08-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #120
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsnut View Post
Here's an idea at TE.
Davis cant/wont block...that is essential for us.
Why not keep Cooley, Paulsen, Niles Paul, and trade Davis.
I know he has amazing upside...but he sucks at blocking which is critical for us.
He has trade value now, and paulsen can block, cooley is ok and niles paul is developing and loves to hit. We have serious needs at RT and corner and safety.
Why not replace Davis with a blocking TE like Paulsen, and add a far better RT acquired through a trade?
I would much rather give RG3 1 more second to pass and a better running game that one more great pass catcher?

Imagine a legit blocking TE and RT on the edges with developing young interior draft pick talent to shore up our Oline?...we can live without a top TE...we cant live with crappy blocking, not with a rookie QB. Cooley has hands, apparantly so does Paulsen..let the trade Davis talk begin!
Problem is Davis is a stud in the redzone and obviously we needs more options down there. Also I don't see anyone giving too much for a suspended TE from a year ago.